Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Rover 620Ti?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2005, 05:56 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rover 620Ti?

Are these any good? They don't look bad on paper, but does anyone know what they're like? 200odd bhp...7 seconds....etc....

Do they have the usual 'rover' problems of gaskets etc, or are they generally ok?

I'm looking towards summat fairly subtle, quick, and large enough to get me bike inside..... Just thinking at the moment
Old 20 March 2005, 06:03 PM
Nev_B
Scooby Regular

I had a 220 Coupe Turbo. Not as quick as the Scoob! Traction control was awful, doesn't work. Gearboxes last to about 80K miles before a rebuild is required.

Straight line was ok, but not so good on the twisty roads.

Very plastic and rattley, with poor trim fitment. The 220 Turbo and 620Ti share the same turbo powerplant. Cheap performance car tho, but suspect reliability.

Good luck.

Nev
Old 20 March 2005, 10:05 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

Absolute carp.

My old man had one for six months or so and it spent more time off the road than on, leaky gaskets, dodgy clutch and dodgy gearbox. To top it off it's one of the most boring cars I've ever driven.

Really would avoid IMHO.
Old 20 March 2005, 11:18 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

I had a Rover 220 GTi Turbo ..... plenty of fun and fairly fast BUT it handled absolutely ****e (did not know it at the time though ) even with good tyres and absolutely horrendous in the wet ... required a new diff @ 50K broke a few gaskets too. Also replaced rear calipers and the cabin seals leaked. A few electrical bits stopped working by the time I got rid ...

This may not apply to the 600 but it required a certain technique to go fast round bends as in don't you dare change the attitude of the car after you have commited which induced a few buttock clenching moments!
Old 20 March 2005, 11:31 PM
MarvSTi5
Scooby Regular

I had a Rover 600Ti for over 3 years and I have to say it never let me down - needed a big car because of the family at the time but also wanted some power. The performance shocked a few of my mates in their more well known hot hatches etc.

Apparently they are prone to electrical problems but I never experienced that. 0-60 times are real enough, top end close to 150mph (autobahn of course!) and good on fuel.

In summary, not in the Scoob pedigree (no shock there as they come from a different stable), cheap performance that you can improve on (handling too if you look around - I did ) and loads of room for the family and kit.
Old 21 March 2005, 08:46 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Yup I had one too, and I had no problems either. And nowadays, they're a very cheap 200bhp street sleeper - mine surprised a few in it's time !
Old 21 March 2005, 07:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had a disaster with a BRM (different car I know) but no more Rovers for me, however tempting.
Old 21 March 2005, 08:52 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

I had one for a few years. Great practical car although glad of the Rover warranty. Had a new gearbox and several head gaskets. Got sick of oil leaks although never broke down. Head gasket leaks were never more than external oil deposits.

Eats front tyres !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My advice - check history. If its not had a new gearbox, it probably needs one !

Neil
Old 21 March 2005, 09:20 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hmm.... Mixed responses eh

I'm just thinking at the moment though, but I could always take a test drive in one I suppose. They are quite cheap after all... Perhaps get one that's just had the head done - although I could probably do that myself...
Old 21 March 2005, 09:26 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

I had one once, it was by far the worst car I have ever owned.
Old 21 March 2005, 09:31 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Try a saab 9000 2.3Turbo (200bhp also). Very reliable, not so good on fuel as perhaps the rover is and maybe not quite so quick top end as the saab is fairly heavy.
I can easily fit 2 full size mountain bikes with all the gear in the boot without even removing the parcel shelf or putting the back seats down. You could probably get quite a nice one for under £1000.
A friend of mine had a rover 600ti and he regretted buying it when I lent him my 9000 for the weekend especially after I told him that i had paid £200 less than what he paid for the rover.
Old 21 March 2005, 09:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I had one as a company car. It had a couple of engines and boxes in it's (very hard) 100,000 miles with me (warming up and cooling down routines were unknown to me in those days ). Dry handling was adequate but wet handling was atrocious and by wet I mean higher than 50% humidity 3rd gear wheelspin was pretty much mandatory but other than it's appetite for mechanical parts and tyres it was a great car and even now I think they look pretty good, understated but potent. Can you tell I loved it warts and all?
Old 21 March 2005, 09:51 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

I looked at buying one before I got the Scoob because I was tempted by the cheap prices. Many many many hours of research on the web convinced me otherwise. Found loads of horror stories on various forums, abysmal reviews etc etc.