Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mk2 Astra

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2005, 12:08 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk2 Astra

Looking for a bit of advice about how to fit an aftermarket stereo into a MK2 Astra...

Someone told me half the dash has to come apart, is this true, or will it be a straight replacement??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 19 March 2005, 03:19 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Pop over to MigWeb and stick a post up. When I used to have my old Cav, I had to take a fair old bit of the dash out to remove a mounting bracket that the OEM stereo needed to stay in place so you may have some work to do.
Old 19 March 2005, 04:31 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I assume its the original stereo in it?
If so, there should be 4 tiny wee allen-head grub screws on the facia. 1 towards each corner. Take these out. Then get some removal keys ( pound or so from any car shop) or improvise with 4 long nails. Stick the keys/nails down the hole and push them to the left and right, towards the outside of the stereo and draw the unit out.

The mounting cage will be left behind. use a flat screwdriver to prise up the mounting tabs around the edge. There may also be a single screw or bolt right at the back. Pull this out (this can be a tight fit. if you arent too fussed, squish it into a smaller shape and draw it out.

Unplug the wiring loom from the cage. With a bit of luck your new stereo will have the iso plugs that will fit straight in place. For some unknown reson Vaux wired up their iso plugs slightly differently to every other manufacturer so you will have to swap around the red and yellow wires. The wiring loom for your new stereo may well have bullet-connectors in these two wires to allow them to be swapped.

Fit the new stereo in a reverse sequence.