Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Pulsar GtiR

Anybody got any experience of these?

Do they make good track cars?
Old 15 March 2005, 10:17 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Deep, whats going on.....c32 amg to a pulsar??!
Old 15 March 2005, 10:31 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Used to own one a couple of years ago their not as unreliable as their made out to be i had no trouble in the 15months an 8000 miles i owned it as for a track car your gona need a proper suspension an brake upgrade before you go near a track standard specs terrible for a car with a standard 220bhp speak to powerstation or hi-tech they both no the gti-r inside out.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:06 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

My brother in law owns one which is currently off the road being fettled atm.

Was reliable running exhaust/induction/1bar for over a year, and fast as **** at that spec. He then had an engine built with forged internals, flowed head with cams, and hybrid turbo. He just needs to sort out the management and tidy it up.

It runs GAB suspension and the KMAC camber mod. Handles like a gokart.

Try and find out if you do look at any if the clutch pedal bracket has been welded or not, they shear over time on most Pulsars and its a costly fix but once repaired will be solid.

Last edited by Angry; 15 March 2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:14 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

They might make a good track car when it's got coilovers, lower and upper strutbraces, all the whiteline bushes fitted, the powerstation bumpsteer kit and some decent brakes fitted.
I have one and as standard it had pretty poor handling, but it can be sorted quite alot with the above. With a little more power it'll give alot of things a run for their money if not beat them, with it's slight weight advantage (1220kg ish)
Old 16 March 2005, 03:56 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by turboman786
Deep, whats going on.....c32 amg to a pulsar??!
Second car matey!!

Thanks guys. Anybody know of a Pulsar owners website?
Old 16 March 2005, 05:40 PM
screechmr2
Scooby Regular

http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/
Old 16 March 2005, 07:30 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Second car matey!!

Thanks guys. Anybody know of a Pulsar owners website?
Thank you
Old 16 March 2005, 10:32 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i've had one of these, as everyone has already said a suspension and brake upgrade is a must, the brakes as standard are dangerous
Old 17 March 2005, 10:49 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

if u buy one make sure the gear box is ok as they seem to love eating them a mate of mine has had to replace 2nd twice and 3rd once in the last 6 months!
Old 18 March 2005, 09:05 AM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Don't forget this site either...

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/default.asp

There's a buying guide on both sites. Re the reliable issue, they are not as bad as some people may out, too many people get greedy and run too much power/boost (don't run more than 1bar 280bhp-300bhp what ever people say) without proper mods and fuel setup, and then wonder why the piston goes. But then thats the same for most earlier scoobs too!

Even then, when people need a rebuild, they don't just do the basic rebuild but instead spend loads to push it further, so then other parts fail like gearbox etc. Stick to the bhp above modified car and you'll loads of fun, and a raw fun pocket rocket chuckable hatch it whats its all about.

Gearboxes can be weak, so best not to do too many standing starts, also best to use an organic clutch for less stress, light wheels, use the best regular oil changes, and don't run too much power/torque through it, and you'll have a better chance of it surviving. But if the previous owner here, or Japan, didnt look after it then you'll know soon with bills.

I've owned mine for 5 years now, and love it. Its got all the sensible stuff for 1bar mods, mapped etc, all the whiteline arbs'/bumpsteer kit/GABs gear, lightweight 15s, uprated 4 pots etc and its great fun to drive. They are fairly light for a loaded 4wd car, i.e 1220kg with full electrics, aircon etc, so getting it to 1180kg is pretty easy and they don't hang around.

In 5 years i've broken the transfer box twice, the second time becuase it wasn't repaired properly the first time, and thats it, touch wood.
Old 18 March 2005, 04:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Cheers matey
Old 18 March 2005, 09:03 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

nisr227 - does your bro miss his blue beast? Hope he is well.

Met him a couple of time as I only live across the way in Haverfordwest.

I owned mine for 2 years and had a clutch change but nothing actually fail on me. 2 reasons I sold mine - I lost my license and became a dad so needed something a little more practicle.

I miss my R though. Even today I was on GTIROC looking at what is for sale right now. The nipper is older now and can clamber in the back!!!
Old 19 March 2005, 02:14 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
the brakes as standard are dangerous
I'd only say they were dangerous if you're expecting big things of them and brake too late. As long as you're aware they are poor for the performance of the car and brake accordingly they won't let you down.
Old 19 March 2005, 03:49 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Friend has one which I've driven, standard brakes are worse than Impreza 2 pots and I still think my Subaru four pots are terrible ! As stated gearbox is not very robust even with standard power output and they understeer for fun with standard suspension. I would have to say that looking at the prices the Pulsars fetch and what you could buy an early WRX for now, the Scoob would be my choice because there are more parts available and more tuners who work on the Subaru.
Old 19 March 2005, 10:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Yes thats what I'm thinking. If the brakes and suspension and handling are that poor as standard then better of buying a STi. By the time you've added brakes/suspension other mods you could have bought it all dorn in a STi