Advise on buying Toyota Supra.Selling Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 10:27 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on buying Toyota Supra.Selling Subaru

Guys and Gals,

Firstly, i hope i'm writing this in the correct area!

I currently have an MY00 Impreza Turbo which i havce owned for 1 year. I have no problem with the car at all, its a car i have always dreamed of! However, i have something niggling me and its a pain that is getting worse each and every day over the last few weeks. I want a Supra! Its what i wanted to buy when i got the scooby, but age permitting and insurance reasons i could not.

So, the subaru is going up for sale next week :-( it will be a much missed car, but i'm sure you all understand that feeling you get when you fancy a change.

What i'm after is any bad/good reports on them from anyone with actual experience. I have been doing some extensive research on them as i do when buying any car, and this certainly seems to be a car which you cannot know enough about when choosing one.

If anyone knows any good sites to visit, or preferably a forum as well put together as this one would be a huge help.

Looking forward to anyone's comments.

Ps, i've done a search and am going through what has allready been discussed

Thanks again

Christian
Old 14 March 2005, 10:29 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, its the twin turbo version i'm looking for. Would obviously prefer a uk model for a lot of reasons but they are so few and far between. So it may have to be an import, which is hence making my decission on finding a good, trust worthy one even harder

Cheers
Old 14 March 2005, 10:36 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hello mate,

Good choice ! They are totally different to a Scoob (I've owned a Scoob and now an Aero GZ TT Supra), but I love mine - it's very cool.

Come over to www.mkivsupra.net and have a chat mate, helpful bunch of owners and some good dealers on there who will have cars available.

There's plenty on there about Uk vs. JDM spec if you look, but in reality there's little difference. I bought based on spec and condition, and I'm chuffed to bits with mine !

You're welcome to PM me if you need info.

All the best

Matt
Old 14 March 2005, 10:42 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much Matt, will register on there in a mo. I'm very nervous about making this choice, really want to find a good one and i'm setting my limit at around £9000. I'm sure thats achievable though

cheers,
Old 14 March 2005, 10:59 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

I had a Subura Impreza STI v6, as well as a JDM (import) Twin Turbo Supra. I sold the Sti, and still drive the supra. So, maybe thats a good indication of my choice.

I went for the JDM (import) supra as I preferred the facelift version, lower mileage and newer car. Im not going to start the uk vs import conversation, but for me I would only go for a import. For 9K I reckon you should be able to find a 98R VVTi version, which has a good 25bhp more than a standard twin turbo.

IVe had mine now for 4 years, 90K miles later, all that has broken was a window raiser wire. In the year ownership of the sti v6 coupe r, I had a new clutch, turbo, endless gaskets / pipes. Dash kept falling apart, so got rid of it.

Best of luck.

SBK
Old 14 March 2005, 11:11 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Thanks SBK, some useful info there. Have to say, from the ones i've seen, the VVTI's seem to be a lot more than that. But if i could find one, that would be my obvious choice. Out of interest, how do you find fuel consumption?
Old 14 March 2005, 11:29 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Fuel consumption, er, ahem, er, *shuffle shuffle* - how does 14-15mpg ?!?

Just being honest.

Matt
PS. Should probably add, that's for my car that has some mods inc. FMIC, ECU, Exhaust inc. 2xdecat, ind. kit etc.
Old 14 March 2005, 02:01 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

ok cheers matt! mpg doesnt sound good! :-) currently getting about 60 miles to a tenner in the scoob, wasnt expecting one of these to be much different from what i have heard, but that obviously depends how its driven. have just registered on that site with the same username, gona be starting a thread soon

appreciate your help

Christian
Old 14 March 2005, 03:32 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Mine was 20-21mpg when I got it, after BPU mods I'd get 16-18mpg.