Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pug 406 question

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2005, 11:33 AM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pug 406 question

Wanna remove the crappy rear speakers in my pug 406 and replace them with the same size speakers but of much better quaility. Does anyone know off hand what size rear speakers they are (p reg 406)

Borich
Old 20 January 2005, 12:01 PM
HONDA_RVF400
Scooby Regular

Do you mean the ones in the parcel shelf??
Old 20 January 2005, 05:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Can't answer your question however I'm giving serious consideration to selling the set up from my old Pug. John banks installed it so he knows exactly what is was but let me just say that it was VERY loud and my mates all said it was the best sound system then had heard in a car. Basically john uprated the four main speakers with beefy ones, fitted uprated tweeters in the dash housing (replacing the standard ones) and run it all from the standard head unit through an amplier he secured to the boot of the car. The amp is a two channel one and he got a little creative in the way he set it up (you'd have to ask him) but the final result was an apparently standard sound system with the only giveaway being a small amp in the boot. It was however miles better than the standard crap I have to put up with in the new car!!

I'd love to fit it all to my current pug but if the truth be known I can't be bothered as its quite a bit of work feeding it all through the bodywork and I don't intend to keep the 406 for much more than another 8-10 months. I'd be willing to sell the set up to you (or any other interested party) if you are interested. JB will hopefully comfirm exactly what is in there but its got a 2-channel amp, 4 **** off speakers and 2 **** off tweeters and sounds ace
Old 22 January 2005, 03:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to drop in some Kenwood 6x9 in the rear with little hassle, and a component set for the front which I found the details of from one of those Make/model lookup charts and they fitted fine.

Electrically, I wanted to keep boot space, so I used a 2 channel amp which I fed a power and ground cable to in the conventional manner, fused, thick enough for the job etc. Each channel supplies each side of the car, and the speakers are in parallel so the amp is running at 2 ohms, which it is rated to do, but there was no fader adjustment. The rears were overpowering, so I added some power resistors in series to shut them up a bit. It was a budget/space restricted job, but I kept it this way to keep the original head unit. I took the signal for the amp inputs from a line level converter which I plumbed in at the back of the headunit to convert the original speaker outputs to a traditional phono cable to the amp. I hijacked some of the wiring for the signals from the headunit to the amp and back to the front speakers, ran new cable to the rear speakers. I had to fiddle a bit to make sure I didn't get ground loop effects or interference. It was a bit hacked together, but as Kenny says it was miles better than the original for about £200 expense.

Note that just shoving efficient and loud/bassy 6x9 in the rear shelf and not spending the money on the fronts will give volume but not quality. You need a front biased setup for quality, 6x9s are usually just a cheap packaging compromise.

The 406 flatters work on the stereo because it is quite a refined car IMHO, the V6 was anyway.

Last edited by john banks; 22 January 2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 22 January 2005, 03:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers john Interesting comment on 'volume vs quality' This was the difference between the system in the green v6 and any BOOM BOOM sytems I've heard in corsa's, etc. It was loud but also sooooooooo clear and refined with it. It was very much like being in your livingroom with a nice system playing away. Well achieved on such a budget
Old 28 January 2005, 03:02 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

i can't be bothered to set up an amp in the car and run all those extra wires so im looking to simply upgrade the current head unit and the front and rear speakers. Was thinking of dropping some 6 by 9s in the rear and then replacing the front mid + tweakers with some uprated decent ones. can you suggest any good front speakers and a good set of 6 by 9s. Im looking for quality of sound not volume

the head unit im getting is here

Borich

Last edited by borich; 28 January 2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 28 January 2005, 03:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Kenwood stuff, look in their catalogue at the model lists and you'll find the right ones, I lost the part numbers long ago.
Old 29 January 2005, 12:58 AM
borich
Scooby Regular

just been thinking if im gonna spend best part of 300 + on head unit + rear speakers i mights of well go the little extra and get an amp installed by someone else. so if anyone has any suggestions on what amp + setup to use on my pug 406 let me know

Borich