Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

AUDI RS2

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2005, 09:57 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question AUDI RS2

AUDI RS2...What does anybody know? I know that in the early 90's these were the UBER wagon 315BHP 175mph, porsche breaks and tuned engine..massive torque...and blisssssssstering performance. BUUUUUUUUUUT were they any good and can they clock up good fault free mileage???I mean these were the first true performance car (with super car performance) that could carry a fridge freezer at 175 mph. And are they any quicker and better than subarus version of the RS2 the STI?
Old 04 January 2005, 10:02 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fastest production car to 30 iirc

Housemate at uni had a green one (he was fomr JErsey, family loaded) and it fleeeeeeeeeeeew.

Got or had (had a tidy up since) the Evo RS2 buyers guide, great cars.

I like them in blue.
Old 04 January 2005, 10:04 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Forester STi !!!!!! or have a look on RS246.com

Mog
Old 04 January 2005, 11:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

More comfy but horrific / very exciting turbo lag, apparently.
Old 04 January 2005, 11:22 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a modded S2 (300hp/300 lbft) but it felt like it was built to take it.
Never noticed any lag problem as peak torque was @ 1900 and was kept at 90% of that to something like 5500 rpm.
He-man clutch and gear change but never needed any work in 100,000 miles.
Only thing that was ever replaced was front discs and pads.
Steering and handling was typically Audi though so not really exciting on UK roads.
Inside was as small as an Impreza but load space seemed larger?

Its the Scooby handling and fan club that wins me over - but on a straight A road or motorway thrash the Audi would be the (boring) winner.

Nick
Old 04 January 2005, 11:40 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I was 12/13yrs old and the 'hot' version of my mum's Audi 80 beat the fastest car in the world 0-30mph...... instantly it became one of my all-time great cars!!

Saw a video of one at the 'Ring and it looked awesome..

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 January 2005, 02:50 PM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
AUDI RS2...What does anybody know? I know that in the early 90's these were the UBER wagon 315BHP 175mph, porsche breaks and tuned engine..massive torque...and blisssssssstering performance. BUUUUUUUUUUT were they any good and can they clock up good fault free mileage???I mean these were the first true performance car (with super car performance) that could carry a fridge freezer at 175 mph. And are they any quicker and better than subarus version of the RS2 the STI?
Was at my regular tyre fitters last Octobeer having new boots fitted to the front. Next to me was a guy with an M reg RS2. Had a long chat with him whilst waiting to have the tyres done on mine. He said he had owned his for 4 years and was it pretty reliable - his car had 95k on the clock too. I was lucky enough to get a quick trip around the block in it & it was mighty impressive, seriously quick. The only drawback for me was the interior still felt very solid, but the Audi 80 dash now looks very dated. Great car though & definetly a classic....
Old 05 January 2005, 03:11 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I saw one at a track day at Castle Combe about 3 years ago. No idea if it was standard but it was absolutely flying round!
Old 05 January 2005, 05:22 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had an RS2 in a bright blue. Seriously quick especially top end. I've an My02 STI and an RS2 would sh*t all over it at any speed. Only bad things I remember was monster lag which he reduced a little when it was remapped with exhaust. Think it was about 346 bhp when he sold it. It also held the 0-30 world record for a while as I have an article somewhere on it at home in an old car mag. It was reliable as long as he had it, only thing was a hose coming lose I think. He had it for a year and sold it for exactly what he paid for it (about £17k).
Old 05 January 2005, 07:10 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Silvafox
A friend of mine had an RS2 in a bright blue. Seriously quick especially top end. I've an My02 STI and an RS2 would sh*t all over it at any speed. Only bad things I remember was monster lag which he reduced a little when it was remapped with exhaust. Think it was about 346 bhp when he sold it. It also held the 0-30 world record for a while as I have an article somewhere on it at home in an old car mag. It was reliable as long as he had it, only thing was a hose coming lose I think. He had it for a year and sold it for exactly what he paid for it (about £17k).
I saw my first one, in an audi dealers in Berlin in 1995 in nogaro blue, Porsche cup rims and massive porsche brakes. I remember thinking what the #### is that.... I could'nt beleive it was an Audi 80 avant......With alcantara blue recaroes..... I thought thats it i'm having one ( when they are affordable)......THE trouble is i now am feeling very drawn to one in nogaro blue...And i have seen one (very rare rhd) for sale. Thing is i have a version 7 STI wagon (bugeye) with a TSL 333 conversion and i am wondering that as my STI is so rapid, will the RS2 be a let down and shatter my illusions of it? But also it's the reliability factor as well and it can't be any worse on the juice than my STI..
Old 05 January 2005, 07:25 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

The guy I bought my ur quattro from picked me up from the train station in one. Very stiff ride, lots of lag but I remember when the boost came in in 3rd gear (in the wet) it was struggling for traction, not sure if this one was standard or not. Lovely bit of kit, would be on my shopping list.
Old 05 January 2005, 08:06 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I considered the RS2 when getting rid of my Celica for a faster car. Only about 180 RHD examples ever made, and they're like rocking horse pooh to find now, hence the high prices. Love the look of them, though the inside is a bit dated looking now. I was warned off them by a mechanic friend, who said servicing is dear, and parts can be troublesome to source, due to being a Porsche-Audi hybrid.

That said, I still gawp at them when they appear in Top Marques every so often

Read an article on them recently, where the tester was concerned that the 0-60 time Audi quoted was too low, until they told him he needed to simply dump the clutch at about 6k and hang on for dear life. I think he agreed with their time after that!

There's also one on a bike video that appeared in the Bikers Forum some weeks back - Turbo R1 I think. Shows how fast they are on that.
Old 05 January 2005, 08:11 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dome
The guy I bought my ur quattro from picked me up from the train station in one. Very stiff ride, lots of lag but I remember when the boost came in in 3rd gear (in the wet) it was struggling for traction, not sure if this one was standard or not. Lovely bit of kit, would be on my shopping list.
5 cylinders, 20 valves, big turbo and lots of torque from around 2000rpm i believe, but,but,but its very, very tempting. I have bought on a heart string before only for it to go t##s up, i/e the cosworth variety. And it would be used as everyday transport.
Old 06 January 2005, 07:58 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Your best to ask on www.rs246.com

Lots of RS2 owners on there.
Old 06 January 2005, 07:02 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jeff Wiltshire
Your best to ask on www.rs246.com

Lots of RS2 owners on there.
I have tied on there, but it's a bit of a bugger to log onto. I mean,would i be insane, to sell my TSL prepd 333bhp V7 STI Wagon, to buy one? Or buy one anyway? I also considered an S4 Avant. Or really go for it and go for the RS4, which means the scoobs would have to go..Ohhhhhhhh confused..
Old 06 January 2005, 07:27 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

IMO..... You'd be better off with an RS2, it wont depreciate like a **** the same way an Impreza will.

I would have thought that it will be quicker than your Subaru too.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06 January 2005, 07:44 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Get ahold of the EVO used buyer article. I considered this beast, but, if I remember correctly some of the parts costs where huge. I think, and my memory is poor, replacing the pads and discs on the front came in at, or near, £2k!

Kevin
Old 06 January 2005, 08:48 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Had a press test RS2 for a week about 8 yrs ago - loved it enough to buy an RS4 a few months ago!!! The engine on an RS4 is so much more sophisticated than an RS2 or Scoob though (twin turbo, FMIC x 2, VVT, and sounds like a F1 at 6800rpm (well after a couple of pints)

Handling is way off a Scoob's easy poise in these big solid Audi's though - enough to make me not want to keep it that long in fact. Scoob handling with the RS4's 450bhp would be SOME combination though...

Swop my RS4 for a hot wagon as couldnt find one when looking...???

D

PS Kev - 2k for the big front disks isnt that far off similar decent kit on a Scoob and also puts you in Brembo/Stoptek ish upgrade territory

Last edited by Diesel; 06 January 2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06 January 2005, 09:13 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Had a press test RS2 for a week about 8 yrs ago - loved it enough to buy an RS4 a few months ago!!! The engine on an RS4 is so much more sophisticated than an RS2 or Scoob though (twin turbo, FMIC x 2, VVT, and sounds like a F1 at 6800rpm (well after a couple of pints)

Handling is way off a Scoob's easy poise in these big solid Audi's though - enough to make me not want to keep it that long in fact. Scoob handling with the RS4's 450bhp would be SOME combination though...

Swop my RS4 for a hot wagon as couldnt find one when looking...???

D

PS Kev - 2k for the big front disks isnt that far off similar decent kit on a Scoob and also puts you in Brembo/Stoptek ish upgrade territory
True you have to remember that they are porsche brakes. They have come way down since though, more like £500 for disks and pads. The reason i say would i be mad selling me V7 STI WAGON(bugeye) is that it took me nearly awhole,year to find one. And as far as i know it is the only GENUINE one in the country.. I recently saw one at an importers, for £21000 and that was with double the mileage of mine, and little history, and standard. Mine is in the best colour, premium silver.(they come in silver, black or white.Any other colour is not STI Wagon) with a TSL 333 upgrade, TSL goemetry set up, RSGT 19" Alloys and toyo's, 12" Roof mounted dvd player, all the usual STI goodies. And also one of the rare'st scoobys made.And possibly the rare'st scoob in the country. Also the last to be made EVER of the STI WAGONS. So would i be mad to sell up and move on?
Old 06 January 2005, 11:32 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Must look awesome with a "12" Roof mounted dvd player"......

RS2 is very much a collectors car now, RS4 is probable a better bet and you can make it handle very well for a few quid. The RS4 will probable need

Full Milltek Exhaust (including Cats)
MTM or AmD re-chip (450 ish)
New suspension
Moveit Brakes (or AP)

Say £6K ish....
Old 07 January 2005, 12:50 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
True you have to remember that they are porsche brakes. They have come way down since though, more like £500 for disks and pads. The reason i say would i be mad selling me V7 STI WAGON(bugeye) is that it took me nearly awhole,year to find one. And as far as i know it is the only GENUINE one in the country.. I recently saw one at an importers, for £21000 and that was with double the mileage of mine, and little history, and standard. Mine is in the best colour, premium silver.(they come in silver, black or white.Any other colour is not STI Wagon) with a TSL 333 upgrade, TSL goemetry set up, RSGT 19" Alloys and toyo's, 12" Roof mounted dvd player, all the usual STI goodies. And also one of the rare'st scoobys made.And possibly the rare'st scoob in the country. Also the last to be made EVER of the STI WAGONS. So would i be mad to sell up and move on?
I think you've just answered your own question. You sound a bit too enthusiastic about the Scoob to sell it and move on...
Old 07 January 2005, 04:49 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Jamesemt]I think you've just answered your own question. You sound a bit too enthusiastic about the Scoob to sell it and move on...[/QUOTE Maybe your'e right? It's just i have had a hankering for those Audi uber wagons, for years. Also an RS4 is very tempting. The roof mounted dvd aids in stability at speed!!! When the kids are trying to kill each other, on it goes, and, hey presto.STABILITY. OHH i still don't know what to do???
Old 07 January 2005, 06:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

My dilemma was easier - my Scoob got nicked so decsion was made. It was SUCH fun gliding past a completely flat out Boxster S the other day with my big dog winking at him from the jam packed hearse's boot
Old 07 January 2005, 06:50 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

My dilemma was easier - my Scoob got nicked so decsion was made. It was SUCH fun gliding past a completely flat out Boxster S the other day with my big dog winking at him from the jam packed hearse's boot
Have had the same fun with an E46 M3 on the m54, and then through the twisty's on the way to whitchurch,( fantastic road and really keeps you on your toes). Blitzed the M3 and then slowed to let him go past, only to blitz him again.... But still i do fancy an RS4, but i know i'll miss the scoobs all out acomplished ability.
Old 07 January 2005, 07:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well you know which one looks best in the Golf club car park dont you - especially if you have your eye on becoming a captain one day LOL
Old 07 January 2005, 07:21 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Well you know which one looks best in the Golf club car park dont you - especially if you have your eye on becoming a captain one day LOL
well i could be buggered, as i dont play golf. It's not the image thing, it's the ***** out performance. Plus i like my cars to be that bit special, that's why i asked about the RS2. I think it's my sick perversion of blasting past someone in their, porsche, tvr etc...in a little old estate car.
Old 07 January 2005, 10:02 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I think I could have nailed my 450bhp RS4 in my 300bhp STi V... We dont know we had it so easy and good with these fab plasticky cars!!!!

Maybe its cos the steering feel is weaker in the RS4; maybe its cos I knew how to four wheel drift the STI at 110mph and havent had the confidence/encouragement to do that in the RS4 yet. The Scoob DEMANDED it, the Golf club doesnt

I'm tracking the RS4 next month with ESP off. I hope to lap everything there (Audi TT's) let alone simply pass them as I did in the Scoob LOL Maybe then 'love' will develop...
Old 07 January 2005, 11:22 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

I think I could have nailed my 450bhp RS4 in my 300bhp STi V... We dont know we had it so easy and good with these fab plasticky cars!!!!

Maybe its cos the steering feel is weaker in the RS4; maybe its cos I knew how to four wheel drift the STI at 110mph and havent had the confidence/encouragement to do that in the RS4 yet. The Scoob DEMANDED it, the Golf club doesnt

I'm tracking the RS4 next month with ESP off. I hope to lap everything there (Audi TT's) let alone simply pass them as I did in the Scoob LOL Maybe then 'love' will develop...
You beauty, just make sure you lap those , starship enterprise controlled mitsi evo's..(i used to drive a gti, but now i'm soooooooo much better in my evo, eermm what do you mean electronic engagement............)it's a real drivers car!!! The active yaw was an option instead of aircon. Hey great cars, but surely you can wipe your own ar##,
Old 10 January 2005, 08:31 PM
QuattroMNC
Scooby Regular

AUDI (sorry slighly biased but there we go) ***** out there's not much that will come near an RS2 or 4, audi's have very deceiving power figures if you saw the poer curves on a graph the scoob would climb rapidly to it's high peak then drop off almost instantly, on the other hand the audi will reach its power early stay there for a couple of thousand RPM then drop off, in a scoob you've got maximum power for an instant then you've got to shift for the next peak. Reliability on an audi 5 cylinder is good at the worst of times, mine's got over 190k no oil or water loss and still beggs for more on a track day
Old 10 January 2005, 09:41 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yep the RS4 holds virtually full power till over 7000rpm and loves being there too

Quick Reply: AUDI RS2