Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi RS6 Plus

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 05:55 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi RS6 Plus

The RS6 is no more. Its days were up when the old-shape A6 Avant was replaced in late 2004. But Audi couldn’t let its most powerful, most outlandish model fade without fuss. So, to clear stocks, it upped the power, lowered the suspension and created the RS6 Plus. 999 individually-numbered examples of this decade’s most exceptional Audi so far.

There’s no mistaking the RS6 Plus for any other A6. Exclusive Mugello Blue paintwork shouts ‘Porsche’ and ‘RS2’, while the dechroming of Plus models adds a mean air; the black trim makes the old model appear tame. The bodywork is beefed out anyway, seeming to wrap perfectly around the huge 19-inch alloys, themselves finished in evil anthracite. And suspension, lowered 10mm over the standard RS6, makes it look more like a race than a road car.

The interior is moody but more mainstream A6. Firm Recaro leather seats look great and feel purposeful to sit in, but are mounted very high and lack side support for the upper back. The ‘MMI’ control system isn’t that well integrated in this older model, and is fiddly to use, while the dashboard is brilliantly finished but becoming a touch dated now. Still, plenty of space inside and a colossal boot continue the unique RS tradition of practical performance.

Power
We drove the previous RS6 in Germany, where we saw 174mph on the derestricted autobahn, despite a supposed 155mph ‘limiter’. For the RS6 Plus model, Audi has raised the game even more, by raising the limiter to that very speed. Would it be so wrong to suspect a similarly ‘soft’ limiter, thus giving this five-door estate 190mph+ potential?

It does, after all, produce a staggering 480bhp, 30bhp up on the RS6. Fitted with twin turbos, the 4.2-litre V8 is equipped with NASA levels of technology, plus wonderfully exotic touches such as a carbon fibre air cleaner and engine cover; the under-bonnet view is fantastic, and there’s not an inch to spare within the jam-packed bay.

Fire it up and memories much be playing tricks, for it sounds even louder and more brutal than you recall. It seems barely legal. Tickle the throttle and fiery fumes are spat angrily through the twin exhausts, as the car rocks from side to side. Better slip the five-speed auto into ‘D’ for a drive to remember.

Lift off
The way the Plus ferociously accelerates is mesmerising. No two ways about it. At any speed in the UK, this car will hurtle forward with utter no-nonsense on-a-mission ease. Quattro running gear means there’s no wheelspin at all, and little work for ESP stability control to do; it just gets on with it, just as an aeroplane gets on with taking off. Other traffic never sees which way it went, so easily does the Audi dismiss them.

Its real forte is standing starts. Mash the throttle and, after a short pause while the auto ‘box and turbos spool up, it sprints forward to any speed you choose. Will 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds do you, day in, day out? It takes under 13 seconds to double this speed which, for a car with a 1590-litre luggage capacity, is quite something.

And it dismisses corners with similar ease. This is one extraordinarily grippy machine, yet one that’s so easy to drive. Steering, heavy at slower speeds and with a noticeable ‘grey’ patch around the straight-ahead, transforms into a light, responsive helm at speed, which is quick enough to be steered with wrist-flicks. The knobbly around-town ride? It produces purposefully flat control that becomes more comfortable and less fidgety as speeds rise. Find a smooth sweeping sequence of bends and the Plus is at home. All the time requiring the use of no more than one-third throttle, so colossal is the power.No problems losing such speed due to massive cross-drilled brakes, with eight-pot callipers at the front, but this big car is less at home through slower corners. It feels more cumbersome, and the considerable weight at the front is highlighted, although the way it explodes out of them with a planted throttle is always intoxicating.

Verdict
The memory you draw from the RS6 Plus is one of sheer speed coupled with a deep ability to control it, deploy it without feeling wayward or intimidating. You pay for it of course, both with the £66,000 list price and 19mpg average (super unleaded, note). Yet every pound is worth it for this car’s sheer skill. Future RS6 are probably on the cards, will probably be faster and more able. But this model’s place in history is assured. Car 214’s future owner, you’re a very lucky person indeed.

Engine: 4.2 V8 twin turbo
Power: 480bhp@6000-6400rpm
Torque: 413lb/ft@1950-6000rpm
0-62mph: 4.6 seconds
Max speed: 174mph (limited)
Economy: 19.3mpg (combined)
Price: £66,675

-Schumacher
Old 21 December 2004, 06:03 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Spent all that time copying and pasting, yet no one has replied.

-Schumacher
Old 21 December 2004, 06:28 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

i'll reply!

cheers mate, a good read!

480bhp.....DAMN!!!
Old 21 December 2004, 06:31 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wez_sti
i'll reply!

cheers mate, a good read!

480bhp.....DAMN!!!
Cheers Wez!

-Schuey
Old 21 December 2004, 06:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

they took one on the gumball 8000, bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing so they said.

nice 1 schumacher
Old 21 December 2004, 06:40 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Top motors!! Was in my mates classic WRX following an RS6 onto a duel carriageway a few months back - my mate was on his tail ready to shoot past as soon as the road because duel lane, however as soon as he went to go past the RS6 just took off like a rocket - felt like the WRX was going backwards!!
Old 21 December 2004, 07:26 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Went out in a standard RS6 a couple of weeks ago, constant push in the back under hard acceleration and really smooth.
Didnt realise just how quick it was until I figured out the short distance it needed to get from a standstill to 120mph before running out of road. Defo on my list should I ever choose to own a dog...which would spend most of its time squashed up against the back window...
Old 21 December 2004, 08:44 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I've driven a standard RS6, and the road-test above whilst largely accurate neglects to mention that it is not an involving car to drive. I had high hopes for one as a potential 996 replacement for a growing family, but came away disappointed (yes I probably was expecting too much of it and the porsche is a hard act to follow).

If you want a stonkingly fast, easy to drive, practical, superbly built car with all the equipment you will ever need, and in which to pile in your family and a shed-load of holiday gear and drive halfway across Europe in a day then I can think of nothing better. For these reasons I may still end up buying one. But it's not a sports car.

Gary.
Old 21 December 2004, 08:48 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Copyright laws anyone
Old 21 December 2004, 08:52 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a MTM Tuned RS6 owned by an American in the UK that is running 580BHP....it sounds awesome....
Old 21 December 2004, 09:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

>14s 0-200km/h though? Is that awesome or fairly ordinary for a modified car? Andy F's full weight STi on Optimax without nitrous was doing 0-200km/h about 3.5 seconds quicker than that on a fraction of the modification budget. MTM have done far better with their RS4 and TT IIRC.
Old 21 December 2004, 09:15 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

That is gorgeous. Loved every minute of the read and was dreaming until I reached the price
I mean its an Audi (yes a superb one, but still an Audi). If I had that money I'm afraid its not what I would be going for.
Any chance of a test drive though
Alas
Old 21 December 2004, 09:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I see a 12.9 0-200 for MTM Clubsport though, but that had no rear seats? Kind of ruins the point of it?
Old 21 December 2004, 09:48 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Droooooool

I want one
Old 21 December 2004, 10:25 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I love these cars..... I'm a big Audi Fan!!

One day I'll drive one, it'd be a dream (a very expensive one...) if I got to own one!!!!!!

Great read mate, good pics too..

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 December 2004, 10:38 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

There's a chap lives nearby with a 460bhp RS4 has had a 760bhp RS6 on order for some time now - last I spoke with him in August time it was already 12 months late.
I'll give him a miss at next years track day I think
Old 21 December 2004, 10:44 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Thing is, just pay and play.
Old 21 December 2004, 10:50 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad you Scoobynetters liked the article.

-Schuey
Old 21 December 2004, 10:56 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I *really" want one

Dan
Old 21 December 2004, 11:01 PM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

Lovely cars. My business partner has a normal avant, but tuned to 520bhp or something. Chews up and spits out my M5 boohoo, but it still isn't as much fun to drive i keep trying to console myself as he goes off gobbling up 911 turbos etc.

The best thing about Audi's RS line is that Audi doesn't release "sport" kits like BMW does. If it wasn't for the colour every other 5 series would look like mine!

I wonder what sort of power the new one will have? It'll be bloody ugly though with that grill!
Old 21 December 2004, 11:31 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

All those extra sporty features and still they haven't dumped the slushbox... no thanks. M5 anyone? Less power but at least you'd feel you were actually driving
Old 22 December 2004, 12:10 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

There's a chap lives nearby with a 460bhp RS4 has had a 760bhp RS6 on order for some time now - last I spoke with him in August time it was already 12 months late.
I'll give him a miss at next years track day I think
I think someone is having you on. The MTM RS6 running 580BHP cost an absolute fortune to do.....To get the same engine to 760BHP would be err "interesting".....Are you sure he didn't say 560BHP ?

Where is it on order from....it isn't from Audi ?
Old 22 December 2004, 12:28 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

the only audi (well ok- RS2/RS4/RS6) that I would ever consider owning...

just wish I could afford it and the big house to go with it
even the wife like them!! until I told her the price..
Old 23 December 2004, 02:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Most people who drive Scoobs wouldn't want an RS6. I almost bought an original one, but realised that it just wasn't an "event" driving it. Sure, it's fast, sure, it's comfortable, and sure, it looks the dog's danglies.

But as a throw-around back road toy, you'd take your Scoob every time, trust me. The steering is woolly, the suspension doesn't feel particularly sporty, and in the wet they're a handful, and a liability in all but the best hands.

Look and admire, but don't aspire, in my opinion.

Last edited by TelBoy; 24 December 2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 23 December 2004, 04:42 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
That is gorgeous. Loved every minute of the read and was dreaming until I reached the price
I mean its an Audi (yes a superb one, but still an Audi). If I had that money I'm afraid its not what I would be going for.
Any chance of a test drive though
Alas
youv'e lost me on that one fella?? you don't like the Audi badge then???
I actually prefer Audi to BMW & Mercedes... I find them to be classy and understated as well as a bit different to the usual luxury motors