Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone know anything about old Supra turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2004, 10:19 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anyone know anything about old Supra turbos?

I've got bored with my Carlton now and I'm going to sell it but I am running out of sheds to buy that I haven't had yet or want

The other night I had a brainwave that a 3.0 manual turbo Supra (old shape) either single or twin turbo could be a hoot on these slippery roads Anyone know anything them?

Is there an owners club/forum for this model (the mark3???)

Thanks for your help
Old 20 December 2004, 12:59 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mkiiisupra.net/index.htm

not quite as big as Scoobynet but then again what is?!!!
Old 20 December 2004, 01:46 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by J4CK50N
http://www.mkiiisupra.net/index.htm

not quite as big as Scoobynet but then again what is?!!!
Very true I find all other boards boring now after this. Thanks
Old 20 December 2004, 06:46 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

There was a good article in Japanese Performance not so long ago. I'll try and find the one.
Old 20 December 2004, 09:29 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

By Toyota standards, they're fragile.
Old 20 December 2004, 11:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had major Head Gasket trouble, would imagine any still going have been done though (TRD Metal gasket helps matters), had one breifly, gasket went took it back and got a refund, it of a big slidey lump of a car, quickish and nice to dive but a bit of a liability that only did late teens mpg. they all end up with budget tyres which doesnt help the slidey antics in the wet, especially with autos as you have the turbo and auto box dumping various large ammounts of torque to the rear tyres in a slightly alarming manner, the lsd helps to a point until it just spins both tyres up and things get a bit undignified.

Nice cruiser though, I would imagine most will be shagged by now and they did rust a bit as well. Look under the bonnet of one and see whether you still want to bother !~
Old 21 December 2004, 09:42 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
There was a good article in Japanese Performance not so long ago. I'll try and find the one.
Thanks

Originally Posted by micared
By Toyota standards, they're fragile.
In what way? just the head gasket?

Originally Posted by J4CKO
it of a big slidey lump of a car, quickish and nice to dive but a bit of a liability that only did late teens mpg. they all end up with budget tyres which doesnt help the slidey antics in the wet, especially with autos as you have the turbo and auto box dumping various large ammounts of torque to the rear tyres in a slightly alarming manner, the lsd helps to a point until it just spins both tyres up and things get a bit undignified.
that's what attracted me to them I can use a whole lot more power in the wet now It will be a manual one no questions

I must admit that under the bonnet they do look a little complicated

Thanks
Old 21 December 2004, 01:57 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Ive got 3 ! :-) 3 Mkiii turbos autos, 1 Mkiv tt auto. Love them although I am selling one of mine at the moment if your interested. Its a white auto 1991 h plate 136K miles.

You have to be so careful when buying one of these. Yes, they do suffer from HG failure which is a known problem. Ive rebuilt 3 of them now and although the engine looks complicated, it isnt.

Relatively quick, eats miles, very comfortable, and comes with all the toys, so fun per pound is very good.

Its worth paying a little bit more for a good example as cheap ones will cost you lots. Makes sure that all supra turbos have had a new HG, (metal), new rad, rad cap, as the cooling system will causes the blown HG. Also, new front ball joints are a must. They all tend to rust around the rear wheel arches.

However, once the HG / ball joints are done, they are very reliable. Easy to chip up and mainly drive them with a good 280 - 300 bhp.

Dont be put off by autos. Manuals have heavy clutches and there isnt much differences in the man / auto.

If your interested, Im selling one of mine. Ive replaced the HG with a metal one, new arp bolts, new rad, new ball joints, new brakes, new oils. Basically, Ive done everything. Im getting rid, as Ive got 2 others and a mkiv tt with is in a different league, and I want a Merc Ml now.

If you want pics, find out more, then sbk1972@hotmail.com Im looking for about £1600.

SBK
Old 21 December 2004, 02:28 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Paul

It's Jap Performance issue 31, August '03
A buyers Guide
How to modify
and a readers car.
Old 21 December 2004, 02:30 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Paul

YHPM
Old 21 December 2004, 02:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Simon K
Ive got 3 ! :-) 3 Mkiii turbos autos, 1 Mkiv tt auto. Love them although I am selling one of mine at the moment if your interested. Its a white auto 1991 h plate 136K miles.

You have to be so careful when buying one of these. Yes, they do suffer from HG failure which is a known problem. Ive rebuilt 3 of them now and although the engine looks complicated, it isnt.

Relatively quick, eats miles, very comfortable, and comes with all the toys, so fun per pound is very good.

Its worth paying a little bit more for a good example as cheap ones will cost you lots. Makes sure that all supra turbos have had a new HG, (metal), new rad, rad cap, as the cooling system will causes the blown HG. Also, new front ball joints are a must. They all tend to rust around the rear wheel arches.

However, once the HG / ball joints are done, they are very reliable. Easy to chip up and mainly drive them with a good 280 - 300 bhp.

Dont be put off by autos. Manuals have heavy clutches and there isnt much differences in the man / auto.

If your interested, Im selling one of mine. Ive replaced the HG with a metal one, new arp bolts, new rad, new ball joints, new brakes, new oils. Basically, Ive done everything. Im getting rid, as Ive got 2 others and a mkiv tt with is in a different league, and I want a Merc Ml now.

If you want pics, find out more, then sbk1972@hotmail.com Im looking for about £1600.

SBK
Hi

Thanks for the advice and offer but I'm really after a manual one and preferably not white (for some reason they all seem to be white )

Brett I've replied

Thanks
Old 21 December 2004, 03:29 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Paul

You have email.
Old 21 December 2004, 03:40 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

That's excellent thanks Brett just the info I was looking for Did you every actually drive one? Just looking for what they really drive like now? I think it'll be an '89 3.0 turbo for me Can't wait though
Old 21 December 2004, 06:56 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

No, I didn't end up driving one. I got scared off because of the head gasket problem. I was on a really tight budget so the fact that I could have afforded the car was fine but i didn't have a large enough budget for running costs. Hence compromising with the 9000T. I know where I am with those and can do a lot of work on them myself.
Good luck with your search if you decide to get one.

This one is quite near me.

1991 J Reg TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 Turbo Full leather Full history Hallmark Cars Manual, 87,000 miles, Red. Air-Conditioning, Body Coloured Bumpers, Central Door Locking, In Car Entertainment, Leather Gearknob, Leather Steering Wheel, Leather Trim, power steering, rear spoiler, Rear . . . . (trade) £3480

Looks pretty expensive but...87k, FSH, not white and MANUAL!
Its in bedford if you interested. This is just copied from the AT website.
Cheers
Brett
Old 21 December 2004, 10:35 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Never owned one, so perhaps not as qualified as some of the others to criticise/praise, but when I worked at the dealers, we had them in for the previously mentioned h/gaskets, crankshafts and blown turbos, the latter being disturbingly common.
Old 22 December 2004, 01:17 AM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Head gasket must be new Toyota gasket, torqued to 73 lbs/ft NOT 58 lbs/ft as specified originally.

Crankshafts are just as vulnerable as any other crankshaft, it's a matter of maintanence and quality of ownership. These cars are 14 years old, there is more chance that someone has abused the car during it's life time.
Old 22 December 2004, 07:42 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Cars we saw were just out of warranty, crank probs were specific to the model.
Old 22 December 2004, 10:10 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I will make sure that the head gasket has been done before I touch one then I'm on a tight budget (scarey thought ) so the late one is way out of my price range although should be spot on I re-built my integrale engine after the cambelt snapped so hopefully I should be able to work on this because not much can be harder than working on an integrale

Thanks
Old 22 December 2004, 04:20 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I will make sure that the head gasket has been done before I touch one then I'm on a tight budget (scarey thought ) so the late one is way out of my price range although should be spot on I re-built my integrale engine after the cambelt snapped so hopefully I should be able to work on this because not much can be harder than working on an integrale

Thanks
Be weary of "rebuilt" engines. Better to go for an original 100k mile Toyota built engine than a 1k mile recently rebuilt job. They usually end up rod knocking or repeat BHG's.
Old 22 December 2004, 04:24 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

One that I have my eye on at the moment has 100,000 miles on. I'm waiting for more details and pictures now
Old 22 December 2004, 05:36 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I've got bored with my Carlton now and I'm going to sell it but I am running out of sheds to buy that I haven't had yet or want

The other night I had a brainwave that a 3.0 manual turbo Supra (old shape) either single or twin turbo could be a hoot on these slippery roads Anyone know anything them?

Is there an owners club/forum for this model (the mark3???)

Thanks for your help
You are so mental .......

They are rather heavy old beasts to slide around and when they let go there is a lot of momentum to control .....
Turbo every time - the non turbo just doesn't have enough grunt to satisfy in the dry!
Old 22 December 2004, 05:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Should make life interesting then I hear 280 bhp from the 3.0 turbo is easy
Old 22 December 2004, 05:59 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Should make life interesting then I hear 280 bhp from the 3.0 turbo is easy
Very - I think they were 242bhp as standard ....... but the bit you'll like for sideways action is the torque .......
Old 22 December 2004, 06:02 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Very - I think they were 242bhp as standard ....... but the bit you'll like for sideways action is the torque .......
Should be good fun I just need to shift my Carlton now I've probably done less than 1,000 miles in it and got bored
Old 22 December 2004, 06:23 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

1K - Is that all?
Old 23 December 2004, 10:13 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Yes I've been so busy working on it that I didn't have time to drive it At least it's got a nice new interior, wheels, powersteering pump etc