Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Fiat Coupe and Impreza WR1

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 12:57 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiat Coupe and Impreza WR1

I had a brief bit of fun with a WR1 in Stevenage yesterday,... just wondered if it was anyone on here,.. it was VERY quick!,...mmmm and very nice.

I'm not really wanting a 'my cars better than yours thread', just an observation of the speed of the WR1 !
Before anyone jumps at the 'its only a Fiat coupe', I have spent a fair bit on the car tuning her.

Just had a brief run to my old hunting ground in Stevenage , since I've moved ,I miss the plethora of boy racers around there, anything from Supra's to Boxers M3's 993's as well as chav wagons etc

I came up behind a very late Subaru Impreza WR1, I think? really beautiful car.

anyway it looked like this

http://www.import-heaven.net/images/...i_wr1_01.shtml

A really nice silver blue mettallic, came behind it along the dual carriageway, it was turning left down my favourite dual carriageway, I was hoping he would go for it.........

Well,...I turned the Blitz to 1.3 bar, never run it higher than one bar these days since the remap , but thought, I might need a few more horses

Sharp left hander down dual carriagweay,...wohooo he's off... Coupe kicks in hard, luckily we're both going downhill slightly, so no wheelspin, I'm in his boot, and have to lift off,.....6500rpm, and then into 3rd, this time, I'm still quicker, have to lift off, so pull into inside lane to start pulling behind , at 110 leptons, we both ease off.....

Coming up to next roundabout, I know this one well, and can take the straight ahead route well, knowing the line after years of commuting, but a car slows us down to a stop. The STI chap looks across, oh dear, this is going to be a drag start, and the roads are pretty slippy

Off again, wheelspin I change quickly into 2nd, going round sharp left hander uphill out of roundabout almost instantaneopusly wheelspin , so I change early into 3rd, some slight more wheelspin..dammm he suddenly grabs 2 car lengths , and then the Coupe is pulling hard, methanol squirting into the engine , and I'm starting to pull on him, by 100 leptons I've managed to just about pull behind.....
I flash my lights, he gives me the thumbs up

I've driven/been in a few Impreza's now, a 2002 WRX, a tuned STI 1999 , and lately a really smart 1999 model, but 'only' 250bhp, and know the Coupe is quicker than all three, but this machine was quick
that reminds me, had forgotton, I've been in a fellow coupe owners tuned Scooby RA and that was quicker than my Coupe before my latest remap, I was on around 270bhp then
I'd say it feels similar to mine now, I think he is running about 300bhp??

I know at this particular roundabout, I can take it very quickly, its got a funny line, , but the straight ahead exit, turns uphill to the left, so a tight line to the inside of the roundabout, keeping power on to reduce understeer, and , then a lift off, then power hard to the left through the exit, you can get some serious speed .
Luckily visibility is excellent, so its a great roundabout to do this on, wide, and good views, so I was hoping to give the Imprezza a kicking
But a car came on to the roundabout, so I slowed early for the roundabout, I didnt want to be right behind the Imprezza as he would might have taken risks,...
Sensibly, we both stopped and let the car go by, then it was empty, so do the drag start!
But I was just getting wheel spin, and even short changing the gears, meant that I just could'nt get the power down uphill, I was behind him in 2nd, but as soon as I changed to 3rd because of the wheelspin, he grabbed a couple of car lengths, then I could get the power on, but it was ages before I pulled up behind, but then we both eased off anyway.

Best fun for ages! ......( need another trackday soon)

so mixed result, damm FWD

so straight line

Coupe 1 Impreza STI WR1 0 (close)

Drag start

Coupe 0 Impreza STI 1

Blo*dy 4wd traction, I'm never going to beat that with road tyres

The Wr1 is really my favourite looking Impreza, but not driven then ,although I read that the Lichfield model is probably the best, I luv all the ducting and spoilers, might have bought one had the wife liked their styling.

joe

Fiat coupe Unichip/Novitec Eibac/Koni/Leda Aquamist Blitz, Hybrid (Gti-R) FMIC 300bhp 300/b/ft @1 bar

Last edited by Doctorfrag; 15 December 2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 15 December 2004, 01:01 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

ziiiiiipppppp
Old 15 December 2004, 02:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Its good to see that WR1's are being used for boy racing ....... Its what they were designed for ...very max power.

PMSL once again .....its one of those days me thinks

Gary -----205gti, pugtech / stickers / one wheel arch plastic / can of tyre weld

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 15 December 2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 15 December 2004, 02:33 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

WR1's.

Dump valve's dumping. Bleed valve's bleeding. Boost turbo integrated servo-upgrade heat soak digitised remap processing unit with updated pressure blow off ducts.
Old 15 December 2004, 02:45 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
ziiiiiipppppp
See, told you
Old 15 December 2004, 03:16 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Its good to see that WR1's are being used for boy racing ....... Its what they were designed for ...very max power.

PMSL once again .....its one of those days me thinks
Gary -----205gti, pugtech / stickers / one wheel arch plastic / can of tyre weld

LOL!, the only other WR1 I'd seen was at Snetterton a few months ago, but it never went out on the track.
I've chased Impreza's many times on the track, and they're good cars, in the wet, it really is a struggle with just FWD, play the lines right, and I can still do well, but hairpins, where you need strong traction out of the corner are hopeless in the wet.

But Boy Racer WR1's,..yep the first I'd seen as well!!

Joe
Old 15 December 2004, 03:59 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

WR1 is every boy racers dream. Not exactly classy are they.

WR1 - the choice of the boy racer who has managed to get finance. Thing is, with the rate in which they depreciate, people who borrow 30k at 8% interest will be in negative equity within 6 months of ownership.
Old 15 December 2004, 04:20 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

I think they're really good looking, although I'm not a big fan of high rise rear spoilers.

They were 29K new were'nt they?, I suppose they get around 20K now?

Joe
Old 15 December 2004, 05:36 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

So what power is your coupe now?
WR1s don't seem that fast for the power (330bhp?)
Here's a vid of a 246bhp Gtir beating one up the strip. It won on time as well as being first over the line
Old 15 December 2004, 06:00 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Is a Fiat Coupe reliable at 300bhp+ @ 1.3bar!?

Where are the Owners Forums for these??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 December 2004, 06:16 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

At the last Rolling road she ran 290 bhp and 290 lb/ft@1bar, although this run with the WR1 was at 1.3 bar, I'm not sure what that would give me, as I have not RR'd at that level. I've been on many Rollers now, and these are fairly conservative, but the one's I use most often, being nearby,..PTS in Luton.

I thought the official stats for the WR1 showed a 1/4 mile of 12.8 seconds?, which I assumed was pretty good, the vid looks good, although he was very slow off the line.

joe
Old 15 December 2004, 07:21 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

Default WR1 Fiat Coupe

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Is a Fiat Coupe reliable at 300bhp+ @ 1.3bar!?

Where are the Owners Forums for these??

Cheers,
Grant

Err...Just about!

The Fiat Coupe has forged pistons as standard, however the standard exhaust manifold is quite restrictive, so like a lot of turbo cars, the main enemy of the coupe's engine is heat.

There's quite few coupe's running that sort of power reliably, providing they've sorted out the cooling ,uprating intercoolers water injection and the like.
The standard pistons and injectors can run close to 340bhp with the right turbo and mapping, and one chap has a 2.4 conversion at 460 bhp!!!

We have a lively forum, check out

http://www.fccuk.org and click on forums to get there.

joe
Old 15 December 2004, 09:02 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doctorfrag
I thought the official stats for the WR1 showed a 1/4 mile of 12.8 seconds?, which I assumed was pretty good, the vid looks good, although he was very slow off the line.

joe
The only stats I've seen are 13.3 and he did a 13.2. He was slow slow offf the line, but I errr the other guy still beat him on time as well. (I won't mention the 430bhp Evo V I beat the same day pmsl.
Old 15 December 2004, 09:11 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Yuk!! that is also starting to look like it also crashed into halfords window!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 10:08 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carl2
The only stats I've seen are 13.3 and he did a 13.2. He was slow slow offf the line, but I errr the other guy still beat him on time as well. (I won't mention the 430bhp Evo V I beat the same day pmsl.
Hehee Carl, that's very good time then!, it was you,..! excellent reaction time!

I've only run 14 secs at 103 mph when running 265bhp, don't know what it would be like now, but traction really does limit drag starts, so no point against 4WD cars, unless I stripped her out and fitted slick tyres!

I was miles quicker than an EVO RS sprint at Bassingbourne, but then again I don't think the driver had a lot of confidence

Joe
Old 15 December 2004, 10:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Is a Fiat Coupe reliable at 300bhp+ @ 1.3bar!'

Er, probably not, I had bad luck I think, sold mine on thinking it was just turbo but the lad who bought it ended up rebuilding the motor, a far far braver man than I, they are however a lovely car when working right, could have bought a Scoob but the missus wouldnt have one on the path.

M3 next, the later one, might look like a tosser but it shouldnt break down as often.
Old 15 December 2004, 10:42 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

J4CKO, sounds very nice, I'm not a big fan of BMW's but the M3 has always been very nice.

The pistons although forged do seem to be the weak link, with piston failures often on piston number 5, mainly when running high boost with standard intercoolers.

Joe
Old 16 December 2004, 05:53 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

nice to see you're still around mate and up to the same old racing

Bob
Old 16 December 2004, 06:49 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

He's really proud of his tussle with the WR1, isn't he. It's the second thread on this page he's pasted it into.
Old 16 December 2004, 07:05 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

I am, indeed was'nt sure where should post it??, though, after no replies I thought I'd make it a bit more 'visible' ..LOL!!!
On the Coupe forum, as Bob knows, soon get plenty of fiery responses!, after he beat me at the Pod earlier this year...grrrrr , so that started another wave of tuning..LOL!, nothing like humiliation to get the wallet out

Joe
Old 16 December 2004, 11:04 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Joe

I found the thread
Old 17 December 2004, 10:21 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Smile

On the Coupe forum, as Bob knows, soon get plenty of fiery responses!, after he beat me at the Pod earlier this year...grrrrr , so that started another wave of tuning..LOL!, nothing like humiliation to get the wallet out

Joe

Tell me about it!

after he beat me at the Pod earlier this year...grrrrr , so that started another wave of tuning..LOL!, nothing like humiliation to get the wallet out

Joe
Ah...the memories.....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul-ba...od/damn4wd.wmv

Look forward to seeing you again and comparing cars

Bob
Old 17 December 2004, 01:32 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

Doh, he brings that one up again ...ok ok it was a cr*p start,.... still quicker over the line though )))

Sounds like much has changed on the tuning front with our two cars this year though, still....
when we do meet up, certainly won't be any drag starts for sure

see you soon

Merry xmas

Joe

(flicking through the Garrett catalgue...GT28RS...mmm.mm hks gt2530.... ;0 )

Last edited by Doctorfrag; 17 December 2004 at 01:38 PM.