civic type r

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2004, 08:53 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic type r

Hi all

Has any body ever played with one of these the very new model that is , i did twice the other day .
Once from a standing start ( which i won by alot ) and one where he was a car or so length in front and i over took he and won again .

(This was i mate and we were on a private track of dual carriage way , and its all purley in the name of science . )

I have a my 97 turbo magnex exhaust .

dan
Old 14 December 2004, 09:00 AM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

i have had simalar results ( ) sitting at the pit entrance while a CTR is rolling past and accelerate out to leave them in a cloud of smoke......

but then again does 400bhp count?????
Old 14 December 2004, 09:40 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

he he he
Old 14 December 2004, 10:50 AM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

I used to own one, and upset an Impreza driver on the A65 driving home from the Lakes a couple of years ago. So much so I had to slam on the brakes to avoid him hitting me because he couldn't get past before the oncoming traffic arrived.

I suppose driver ability also counts for a lot.

Andy
Old 14 December 2004, 11:52 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

must have a slow inmpreza because from a standing start this wasnt even close , he has this years civic and i have 97 turbo. ( all on a track of course . )
Old 14 December 2004, 12:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Prelude, it wouldn't be close, you've got 4wd, much better traction off the line! :-) Impressive though the CTR is, you just can't put 200+ through the front wheels without encountering some sort of traction issues!

More of an issue in the real world is the CTRs lack of torque and high RPM peak power ouput, unless the driver was prepared, the scooby would be well in front- turbo lag and all- before the CTR was getting into its stride!

The CTR has an amazing drivetrain -and its certainly fast when it's in the VTEC zone- I'd just respectfully argue that there are more effective on road performance cars.

Best.
Old 14 December 2004, 12:44 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

This is probabaly going to start an argument but what the hack, CTR lack of torque - yes compared to a turbo charged car, compared to an NA car which the CTR is, I don't think so, its got more torque than most 2.0 lite NA cars !
Yes the Scooby will get of the line, due to 4wd, (CTR has traction issues) once rolling not a lot in it, in a classic possibly one to two car lengths ahead, bug eye - even / down to driver abaility

Richard
Old 14 December 2004, 01:16 PM
prelude
Scooby Regular

cheers chaps , i know that i would have him standing start but he thought otherwise and we did another test when we both rolling and you are right rscarjantson it was close ish i was a car or so ahead . but we are both quiet standard both have no air con etc , and with the hondas brilliant stats i thought it would be alot closer than what it was .

I still think the honda is amazing at what it does it just lacks torque which wins races at the end of the day.

dan
Old 14 December 2004, 01:27 PM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Don't want to fan the flames but i raced a TypeR and was behind at start (because i came up behind and joined the road the ctr driver was on) but i managed to overtake with some ease and he never gave up so fair play.
Driver ability is an issue and will play a part but i can say in my bug eye STi V7 JDM it was not just down to ability...
Upgraded prova ECU, RTL 4400 sport muffler.

PS: I like the ctr, my brother is getting one next year and for the money they are the best bang for buck newish NA car your going to get. 200hp from a 2.0L engine alone is dam good figures if you ask me and enough to be quicker than a standard Ford focus RS thats got a turbo...

Last edited by DJ WATTS; 14 December 2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 14 December 2004, 01:33 PM
prelude
Scooby Regular

it is still a great car and one of the best fwd cars ou can get at the mo and i read the other day that they are thinking about making a 240 brake version to rival the focus cosworth ( if they ever build one) .

Dan
Old 14 December 2004, 02:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone is knocking it; it's a amazing car and -without question-raised the bar as far as hot hatches went. The genre was a bit "luke warm" when it came out; it was a real shot in the arm. I think us turbo fans would just miss the mid range wallop and the all weather ability afforded by 4wd traction etc... On a track the CTR makes very good sense.

Best.
Old 14 December 2004, 02:39 PM
New_scooby_04

P.S. Prelude: I think that is already available unoffically. I read about one UK company that supercharges them (A Jackson racing one- if memory serves). That would sort the torque deficit out, but would just compound the traction issues. I bet it would be fun though!

Just can't recall the name of the company.....I think they advertised in Banzai magazine!

Best.
Old 14 December 2004, 02:54 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Took my CTR to Elvington a couple of years back, showed up a lot of metal in Elises, low spec Caterhams etc. Did 50k miles with no problems and tried my best to burst the engine.
Old 14 December 2004, 03:17 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Got behind one the other day. He saw me and put a spurt on (we already rolling and I was in 2nd or 3rd). Easily caught up and looked like a good sprint but he turned off rather quickly (off the private test track )

Obvisouly running scared!
Old 14 December 2004, 03:18 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

In the right hands the ctr is a very capable car, quite a few nowadays are having the Hondata chip fitted or the Unichip. My previous car was a Unichipped ctr and it managed a measured 5.9 sec to sixty, which ain't to bad for a FWD car. Once rolling its was easily a match for a standard wrx.
Old 14 December 2004, 03:19 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Gotta say. I considered one before I got the Scooby....they look good (IMO) and are fast....but they're not an Impreza
Old 14 December 2004, 03:25 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple rolling around in Essex with the Jackson Supercharger fitted, meant to be pretty impressive.....except when its wet!

I drove my mates '04 CTR....nice car but I really missed the kick in the back of the turbo. Was definitely a quick car though and pretty cheap to buy too!

His wasn't much of a match against my STi, but with an experienced driver and good weather, they will catch a few people out.....especially the Supercharged versions!
Old 14 December 2004, 03:58 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
This is probabaly going to start an argument but what the hack, CTR lack of torque - yes compared to a turbo charged car, compared to an NA car which the CTR is, I don't think so, its got more torque than most 2.0 lite NA cars !
Yes the Scooby will get of the line, due to 4wd, (CTR has traction issues) once rolling not a lot in it, in a classic possibly one to two car lengths ahead, bug eye - even / down to driver abaility

Richard
The CTR only has 143lb of torque (or thereabouts) and suffers alot with a few people in the car. With just the driver it goes alot quicker. My friend has one and it's noticably slower 3 people in the car.
Old 14 December 2004, 04:03 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Talking

The CTR is a good all round car. Good value for money and are very similar to a standard bug eye impreza. (In the dry of course).

The only problem with them is you need to drive them like a maniac to keep them in the VTEC zone where they excel.
Old 14 December 2004, 04:32 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Think the comparison is a bit unfair to be honest as detailed above. The arguement has been done to death - a better comparing the Impreza to a Misti Evo - like for like? But then chances are you wouldnt post as the winner.

The VTEC is good, but it is no turbo - therefore you miss instant tuneability and engine popping just by humping the boost up and slapping on some mods. For a CTR or the like - NOS is the only real way for power gain without selling kidneys and stuff for professional tuning
Old 14 December 2004, 09:03 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prelude
cheers chaps , i know that i would have him standing start but he thought otherwise and we did another test when we both rolling and you are right rscarjantson it was close ish i was a car or so ahead . but we are both quiet standard both have no air con etc , and with the hondas brilliant stats i thought it would be alot closer than what it was .

I still think the honda is amazing at what it does it just lacks torque which wins races at the end of the day.

dan
Er no, at the end of the day in real races it's bhp not lbs ft (newton metres) that wins races. Look up power and torque for F1 cars.
Old 14 December 2004, 10:09 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Er no, at the end of the day in real races it's bhp not lbs ft (newton metres) that wins races. Look up power and torque for F1 cars.
Yeh as long as the car is light and you have no passengers.

Dipster
Old 14 December 2004, 10:22 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Probably an unfair comparison. I've just traded in an 04 CTR to go back to scoob ownership. There just isn't the pace of a turbo or the traction of 4wd. They're ok until the novelty of keeping it above 5k revs wears off. Cracking engine though................

6 Months and 13k miles later and I couldn't take anymore. Probably has more to do with my age than anything else
Old 14 December 2004, 10:32 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jonesy
Probably an unfair comparison. I've just traded in an 04 CTR to go back to scoob ownership. There just isn't the pace of a turbo or the traction of 4wd. They're ok until the novelty of keeping it above 5k revs wears off. Cracking engine though................

6 Months and 13k miles later and I couldn't take anymore. Probably has more to do with my age than anything else
I managed 11 Months. I was sick of the thing by that time

Dipster
Old 14 December 2004, 10:34 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my foot to the floor in my SL55 AMG the other day and a CTR smoked me on a straight
Old 14 December 2004, 11:10 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Yeh as long as the car is light and you have no passengers.

Dipster
And then we talk power to weight ratio. As done on here ref Classic v Bug/Blobeye.
Old 15 December 2004, 12:24 AM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

According to LetsTorqueBHP (yes not 100% accurate or fact for that matter but is still a rather usefull guide ) the 60-100mph time is quicker for the CTR than a 208bhp UK turbo and 0-100mph time is only 3 tenths slower (and yes from standing start there would be quite a gap but once moving there'd be very little in it IMO).
Old 15 December 2004, 01:16 AM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

They are pretty weak standard to be honest, but with a few mods (such as the KPro) then things start to get much more interesting.
Old 15 December 2004, 08:51 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

My MY98 UK Turbo with full de-cat SMOKED my workmate in his 54 plate CTR. At the time, another workmate was behind (well behind) in his Astra SXI. I undertook the CTR on a right bend coming onto the M74 from the M8 (Glasgow.) It was a cracking move (albeit dangerous, but when the res mist sets in......) The guy in the SXI said it looked (and sounded) like the tunnel in Monaco what with my full afterburner de-cat etc!!! On the same day, I then SMOKED the same CTR away from the traffic lights (in the wet) leaving him tasting my Afterburner!!! Fair play to him though, when we got back into the office, he said he needed to get an Impreza and also needed to learn how to drive a FWD car (he previously drove RWD BMW's.)
Old 15 December 2004, 10:16 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

i got a mate at work -just brought a brand new ctr-in black looks nice but he reckons for the cost of a re-map it will go up to nearly 300bhp-this true?

Quick Reply: civic type r