New MG two door £75k sporty thing

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2004, 09:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MG two door £75k sporty thing

Saw my first one today on the M6.

Looked awesome, apart from the colour clashed with the AA truck it was on the back of

What an excellent advert!
Old 08 December 2004, 10:41 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Who in their right mind would buy one of them??? Just cant see them selling ANY.
Old 08 December 2004, 11:05 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

saw one at local dealer other month as they had an STi and Evo 8.

this weeks autoexpress not to complimentary about the 82k price tag on the sv-r.

get summat else and save a packet i reckon.
Old 09 December 2004, 08:50 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

imo, they look like a kit car. Either that or there's a normal coupe underneath and they've let the local max power boys at it.

£40k and it would sell a bit. £50k they'd be pushing it, but £75k is ridiculous. Put it this way, for the same money (or less!) you could have the new Aston Martin AMV8, yum. Actually for the same money, EVERYTHING else sold at this price would be better.
Old 09 December 2004, 09:24 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Saw one a few weeks ago in dark blue with beige leather, looked and sounded really good imo, trouble is it would halve in value when you drive off from the stealer, £35 to £38K they might stand a chance, shame.
Old 09 December 2004, 12:53 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Another Nail in the coffin........ The end cant come soon enough
Old 09 December 2004, 01:55 PM
screechmr2
Scooby Regular

they were meant to be competing with tvr, but tvr annihilate them on sheer performance, style, originality and even price
Old 10 December 2004, 12:15 AM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Wish
It's becoming embarassing isn't it?

75k on an MG or a Porsche...errrmmm

Should have priced it at 35k and treated it as a loss leader if they were serious IMHO

Shame
Old 10 December 2004, 12:57 AM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

got any pics of them guys?
Old 10 December 2004, 09:56 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by screechmr2
they were meant to be competing with tvr, but tvr annihilate them on sheer performance, style, originality and even price
And build quality if the first post is anything to go by !!

I agree with the other comments though - the person with £70-80k to spend on a car has a good range of exotica to go at which are miles better than the SV-R
Old 10 December 2004, 10:00 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Ther are a fair niumber of other cars (new and s/h) for that money i would look at first.

I admire MG/Rover for making thew effort although i am not sure if there is a market for their product at this level.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:28 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well after seeing fifth gear with the £190k Aston Martin timing belt falling (I admit it was driven by that muppet, VBH) off every farts end maybe an MG at £75k is a bargain.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:53 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I have had a good look around one, and the build quality is appauling!!!! It really is like a badly put together kit car!!!! Terrible, terrible car!!!
Old 10 December 2004, 11:19 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AsianGunner
got any pics of them guys?
Old 10 December 2004, 11:30 AM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
^======== Complete rubbish

The better option.................

-Schumacher
Old 10 December 2004, 11:41 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by website
The MG XPower SV will retail for around £65,750, while the SV-R starts at £82,950
Originally Posted by website
...from the 320hp of the SV to 400hp in the SV-R.
Shocking figures. Considering you can get a late '02 996 Turbo for under 70k, I'd say the MG is only for the "brave"
Old 10 December 2004, 11:42 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
Shocking figures. Considering you can get a late '02 996 Turbo for under 70k, I'd say the MG is only for the "brave"
..or stupid!!!
Old 10 December 2004, 12:30 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I doubt may of these will be sold to people who are looking to buy a "dream supercar" as the price is way too high.

More likely to become additions to those lucky enough to have a collection of such exotica, and want something a little different from the norm.

I've seen a few of them out on the roads here in the Midlands, and they certainly have road presence, turning heads everywhere they go (admittedly most people don't realise what they are!).

I personally think MG deserve a round of applause for it, when you consider their budget and all the bad press they constantly suffer from - shows great potential for future projects if / when the company comes into some much needed financial assistance.
Old 10 December 2004, 12:37 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I personally think MG deserve a round of applause for it, when you consider their budget and all the bad press they constantly suffer from - shows great potential for future projects if / when the company comes into some much needed financial assistance.
I disagree. It's a gamble, and imo not a good one. The problem isn't so much the badge but just look at the Aston AMV8, Porsche 911 etc. they are just so much a better product. If the new MG was better than the aforementioned cars then maybe they'd have a case but it isn't so they aren't I think the money would have been better spent developing a new 'mainstream' model that can really make an impact in its class, or at least, make one of the current cars properly competitive. Remember it's Rover as well as MG.
Old 10 December 2004, 06:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pro MG Rover and cant get my head around that one, its expensive and pretty ugly but there is always a market for something different, its not a mass produced car, sure the Porsche would be better but I see a lot of Porsches around here so somebody will uy one just to be different.

Anyway, why is it that when an MG breaks down its because its crap, a lot of the German stuff these dys seems to be seem with the bonnet up at the side of the road and nobody mentions that, perhaps the MG was being moved for another reson, the engine is a reliable big old lump made by Ford fitted to a third party gearbox.

As for the end cant come soon enough, what a complete dick, thats our car industry you are writing off, sure some of the products are getting a little long in the tooth but they do seem to be trying, the MG-ZT is a great car and remember people earn a living in this country building them, parts suppliers make bits for them which keeps people employed, why is it so fashionable to knock the home grown product ?
Old 10 December 2004, 07:17 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

If it was a dark coloured one, with a big spoiler it may well have been moved for other reasons - Auto Express tested one this issue.

That said, I saw one identical going up the M40 near Oxford on Thursday...
Old 10 December 2004, 07:23 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
So you can't wait for 50000 people to loose their jobs, the tax burden to increase and the UK's balance of payments be worse off by over £2billion.

If you don't like the cars then don't buy one but why wish away UK jobs.

I hope MGR pull off the China deal, get the new cars and the jobs are saved.

The SV is very expensive to build and is aimed at small numbers of enthusiasts not at the typical 911 driver.

MGR have enough money to survive at the current losses for about three years, if they haven't go new metal on the roads by then the writing will be on the wall I'm afraid.

Cheers
Lee
Old 10 December 2004, 08:58 PM
Spudgun R32
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I am pro MG Rover and cant get my head around that one, its expensive and pretty ugly but there is always a market for something different, its not a mass produced car, sure the Porsche would be better but I see a lot of Porsches around here so somebody will uy one just to be different.

Anyway, why is it that when an MG breaks down its because its crap, a lot of the German stuff these dys seems to be seem with the bonnet up at the side of the road and nobody mentions that, perhaps the MG was being moved for another reson, the engine is a reliable big old lump made by Ford fitted to a third party gearbox.

As for the end cant come soon enough, what a complete dick, thats our car industry you are writing off, sure some of the products are getting a little long in the tooth but they do seem to be trying, the MG-ZT is a great car and remember people earn a living in this country building them, parts suppliers make bits for them which keeps people employed, why is it so fashionable to knock the home grown product ?

i understand your sentiments, and no-one actually wishes to see people jobless. BUT.. be honest, mg/rover cars ARE cr4p. cityrover, long in the tooth prehistoric rebadged hondas, and over 80k for a poor tvr imitation! the company is a joke, with management alledgedly creaming off any profit. they bought the company for virtually nothing.... and have achieved nothing.
so, out of sympathy, are the british public expected to fork out over the odds money to buy substandard antiquated rubbish JUST because its a british company?? should joe public be expected to have x amount coming out of their bank account,associated running costs, poor dealer service,for a sh1te car JUST because "hey, theyre british"??
mg/rover arent a charity, they are a business. they live or die on the quality and pricing of their product.but, imho, they sell rubbish, tweak the emotional heartstrings with patriotic ads and expect the public to be gullible enough to buy their tat.
i genuinely couldnt give a xxxx about mg/rover, i find them and their pitiful plight embarrasing. sadly, i also think the end cant come soon enough.
Old 11 December 2004, 01:36 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spudgun R32
i understand your sentiments, and no-one actually wishes to see people jobless. ...

... i also think the end cant come soon enough.
That's as good as a wish to me.....