Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ok so you've got 1K budget to get a daily chuffer...

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 11:10 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok so you've got 1K budget to get a daily chuffer...

Ok so the budget is 1K all in, on the road with minimum of *maintenance* to run.

You've got the VAG/Audi route... a lot of battered tat but also some great buys to be had as well maybe an old Saab... hmmmm or a Ford (read Fix Or Repair Daily.. )

As a curve ball I've been considering a 525 BMW... never owned one but given the budget you can pick up a fair few of the old beasts... hmm E30 would be nice but 3 series demands 3 series money and nobody want a 5 right ? (m5 would be nice..) ok so you hope the paperwork ties up.. its at least had a *service* in the last 20k and it's not rotten and the chassis legs are straight..

A 1K budget so deliver a daily chuffer... say average 100 - 300 average per week

What would you buy?

Provide details & examples of you old *chuffers*

I like my chuffers to have as good a spec as possible (read V6, Leather) so we're not talking the most sensible chuffers... but chuffers with a bit of go.. albeit the 1.6, 1.8 Cloth trimmed chuffers out there make more sense..

Last edited by SCOOBYD00; 08 December 2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07 December 2004, 11:47 PM
Cabinet Enforcer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything cheap is going to need fixing, so you might as well get the cheapest one to fix ( ie the ford), plus when buying cheap you really want a big range to choose from so you can find a goodun easily, so a 1.8 or 2.0l mk1 mondeo it is.
Old 07 December 2004, 11:58 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cabinet Enforcer
Anything cheap is going to need fixing, so you might as well get the cheapest one to fix ( ie the ford), plus when buying cheap you really want a big range to choose from so you can find a goodun easily, so a 1.8 or 2.0l mk1 mondeo it is.
Hmmm I ran a 91' 16v Golf GTi for over a year... cost £800 and cost me ... pads.. £12... to MOT

Any more ?
Old 08 December 2004, 12:13 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I'd forget about anything sporty and get something like a Micra, at least you know it'll be cheap to run and reliable.
Old 08 December 2004, 12:25 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
Ok so the budget is 1K all in, on the road with minimum of *maintenance* to run.

Ok so you've got the VAG/Audi route... a lot of battered tat but also some great buys to be had as well maybe an old Saab... hmmmm or a Ford (read Fix Or Repair Daily.. )

As a curve ball I've been considering a 525 BMW... never owned one but given the budget you can pick up a fair few of the old beasts... hmm E30 would be nice but 3 series demands 3 series money and nobody want a 5 right ? (m5 would be nice..) ok so you hope the paperwork ties up.. its at least had a *service* in the last 20k and it's not rotten and the chassis legs are straight but other than than a 1K budget so deliver a daily chuffer... say average 100 - 300 average per week

What would you buy?
What is the daily chuffers duties and does it take crap to the dump and bring beer back from France etc?
Old 08 December 2004, 08:22 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
What is the daily chuffers duties and does it take crap to the dump and bring beer back from France etc?
Micra.... hmmm.... no

Chuffers duties.... to sit in traffic and travel say 30 miles or so per day.

The odd blast on the bypass up to 70ish then back down to chuffer duties.

Yep, tip duties and general running around with car bits etc.

E30 Touring IMO a nice option but over budget.

To ben honest I'm happy going down the old *performance* car route rather than newer more *practical* options... I know I know but it its an old duffer its still got to shift
Old 08 December 2004, 08:29 AM
dome
Scooby Regular

I've got a Nissan Primera eGT just now, £200 from a local auction. Reliable, Nice to drive (7500rpm red line) although it won't set the world on fire. Oh and I can leave it anywhere without worrying about it.

Previously ran Golf GTi's, reliable if you get a good one, can be a pain if you don't.

Also had a 3 litre Senator, it cost me £350. Sports auto box, cruise control, leather, heated seats, electrically adjustable suspension. Lovely big comfy bus, saw 140mph on the speedo. Not got the kudos of a 5 series but who cares for the money?

Brian
Old 08 December 2004, 08:30 AM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

I just picked up a 92 vaux calibra 16v 4x4 for the princely sum of £550.

16" nice alloys, heated leather, it's got loads of MOT and Tax and i'm sorted for the winter. It's also quite nippy and as its got 4wd the traction and control are good.

If something / inevitably goes wrong the parts are cheap as chip as well.

Bargin if ever I found one.

Steve
Old 08 December 2004, 08:32 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Are you actually looking, or is this a theoretical question?

I have a buddy shifting a 525i BMW - perfect nick, 12 months ticket, think its an 89 on an F, wants £500.

He has used it for the very purpose you are looking for one (and to keep the miles off of his Copper S) but now finds he isn't getting the use out of it to warrant running the two cars.
Old 08 December 2004, 09:33 AM
MMaynard
Scooby Newbie

Another vote for a Mk1 Mondeo. Must be 1.8 or 2.0, 5dr of even estate. Cheap as so long as the front discs and lower control arm bushes have been done recently.

Perfect for chuffing and tip runs.

Martyn
Old 08 December 2004, 10:05 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dome
I've got a Nissan Primera eGT just now, £200 from a local auction. Reliable, Nice to drive (7500rpm red line) although it won't set the world on fire. Oh and I can leave it anywhere without worrying about it.

Previously ran Golf GTi's, reliable if you get a good one, can be a pain if you don't.

Also had a 3 litre Senator, it cost me £350. Sports auto box, cruise control, leather, heated seats, electrically adjustable suspension. Lovely big comfy bus, saw 140mph on the speedo. Not got the kudos of a 5 series but who cares for the money?

Brian
We're on the same wave length mate.
Old 08 December 2004, 10:06 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveV-WRX
I just picked up a 92 vaux calibra 16v 4x4 for the princely sum of £550.

16" nice alloys, heated leather, it's got loads of MOT and Tax and i'm sorted for the winter. It's also quite nippy and as its got 4wd the traction and control are good.

If something / inevitably goes wrong the parts are cheap as chip as well.

Bargin if ever I found one.

Steve
4X4 ... Never even thought that would be an option for this budget.. sweet!
Old 08 December 2004, 10:07 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S11EPS
Are you actually looking, or is this a theoretical question?

I have a buddy shifting a 525i BMW - perfect nick, 12 months ticket, think its an 89 on an F, wants £500.

He has used it for the very purpose you are looking for one (and to keep the miles off of his Copper S) but now finds he isn't getting the use out of it to warrant running the two cars.
Yep, Jan/Feb time

Whats the spec?
Old 08 December 2004, 10:08 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMaynard
Another vote for a Mk1 Mondeo. Must be 1.8 or 2.0, 5dr of even estate. Cheap as so long as the front discs and lower control arm bushes have been done recently.

Perfect for chuffing and tip runs.

Martyn
Jesus.. a s0dding F.O.R.D ... but I have to agree with you re parts & keeping it going... a perfect chuffer... still like the Bavarian option tho...

So far we've had some interesting *chuffers*... £500 gets you a lot of chuff it seems, good work lads.

Any more chuff bargains out there?
Old 08 December 2004, 10:30 AM
dome
Scooby Regular

If I changed the Primera it'd either be for a Carlton GSi or possibly an old Merc, an early 80's E or S class perhaps, or just whatever takes my fancy at the time. I quite fancy an original Uno turbo, but the doctor says that'll go away through time....
What about a 309 GTi? Cheaper than a 205, especially if you get a 5 door. Or a Sierra XR4x4? Or an Opel Monza or Manta? Or a Capri 2.8?

Must go and lie down in a dark room for a while.
Old 08 December 2004, 10:40 AM
braaaptish
Scooby Regular

Cav V6 auto - bombproof; relaxy GT or slap it in '3' and chase the redline - you'll get leather and up to '96 for under a grand, easy ...
Old 08 December 2004, 10:44 AM
Gandalf the White
Scooby Newbie

Mk 1 Mondeo - forget the 1.6 and 2.0 - get the 1.8, best compromise for part cost and economy. I had the 2.0 and it was great, but alittle thirsty.

What about an old jap car - like a civic or similar?
Old 08 December 2004, 10:45 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate but Cav V6's are about as far from bombproof as you'd like to get. The early V6 engines they used are notorious, cambelts being a favourite malady. I've even seen one detonate on the A1M, it came past me at about 120mph, then when it was 200 yards in front, it blew, steam and oil streaming out of the nearside wheel well.
Old 08 December 2004, 10:52 AM
braaaptish
Scooby Regular

@Reffro - lol - nope, you're simply wrong. I have one, hence the basis of my recommendation - and not through rosy-tinted specs cos 'I've got one' but because of the miles and 'abuse' I put it through and it hasn't missed a beat ...
Old 08 December 2004, 10:56 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

You want a nice e30, still get a decent one for a K

Have a browse.....

http://com4.runboard.com/be30zoneforum.fbuyselle30s
Old 08 December 2004, 11:05 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
You want a nice e30, still get a decent one for a K

Have a browse.....

http://com4.runboard.com/be30zoneforum.fbuyselle30s
E30 good option, but 3 series appear to my eyes to have not been *maintained* as well as they take the higher miles without a*proactive* service shedule... like the old Audi's / Dubz...

Wondering if there are any other chuffer options .. like the sound of the Jap stuff... reliable... hmmm... then again a V6 would make me smile..

Head gasket.... water consumption.... hmmmm
Old 08 December 2004, 11:07 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

If I changed the Primera it'd either be for a Carlton GSi or possibly an old Merc, an early 80's E or S class perhaps, or just whatever takes my fancy at the time. I quite fancy an original Uno turbo, but the doctor says that'll go away through time....
What about a 309 GTi? Cheaper than a 205, especially if you get a 5 door. Or a Sierra XR4x4? Or an Opel Monza or Manta? Or a Capri 2.8?

Must go and lie down in a dark room for a while.
Just call you 'Rear End Boy' from now on in then...

Mantas were MENTAL hard to find a non rotten one... Capri... yep... again... rotten.... or overpriced tat after the recent *interest in them..

Hmmm
Old 08 December 2004, 11:10 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Talking Ok.. so what about 1k 4x4 options.... apart from a Panda!

Originally Posted by braaaptish
@Reffro - lol - nope, you're simply wrong. I have one, hence the basis of my recommendation - and not through rosy-tinted specs cos 'I've got one' but because of the miles and 'abuse' I put it through and it hasn't missed a beat ...
Cav... hmmm... could I .. dunno.... The old GTE's dash made me want one and that advert flying out of the hanger. lol

A cav... v6 tempting... calibras?

What about 4X4 options ... what have we got..

4X4 for 1k on the road with minimum strees (read: oily bits needing changed) happy to do the oil filter, plugs, coolant, oil, battery etc but nothing *involved.

So 4x4 options are... ?

Old 08 December 2004, 11:18 AM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

You might be lucky and find a V6 calibra for a bag of sand, but it would probably have been to the moon and back in miles though.

A grand would just about get you an old vitara or something similar?

Steve

(disposable driving; we love it!)
Old 08 December 2004, 11:18 AM
dome
Scooby Regular

Paul Palmer should be along shortly, he likes his rear enders too. So to speak.

I've had 3 Manta's, all of them rusty. It's soooo hard to get a good one. They do exist though....

I'd be wary of big jap bruisers for that sort of money, spares can be expensive and hard to get, unless you buy a REALLY cheap one and throw it away if it breaks....

Would I be shot if I mentioned Rover 800? Thought so.....

Have a look on here, my kind of site. (bit popuppy though....)

http://bangernomics.tripod.com/index.html
Old 08 December 2004, 11:22 AM
dome
Scooby Regular

If you're going 4x4 then IMO it has to be a classic RangeRover V8. You know it makes sense....
Old 08 December 2004, 11:24 AM
braaaptish
Scooby Regular

oh yeah - Rover 800 Vitesse or 620Ti available for under a grand - leather and 200bhp ...
Old 08 December 2004, 11:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Completely off the wall and unlikely to be trouble free but:-

Find one of those old american estate type cars - you know the ones with the fake-look wood and the huge rear tailgate - like on Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. Dirty great V8 but running LPG.

Fit the world and his friend in the back and not too bad on fuel when running LPG.

My hobby means I spend alot during the summer in fields and something like that would be ideal to pit from - and sleep in when on 2 day events

odd but different. Real world get something diesel and estate like a 405. Run forever with plenty of space.
Old 08 December 2004, 11:48 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveV-WRX
You might be lucky and find a V6 calibra for a bag of sand, but it would probably have been to the moon and back in miles though.

A grand would just about get you an old vitara or something similar?

Steve

(disposable driving; we love it!)
Oh god no.... anything but that. ..... even the thought aaarrrggghhh
Old 08 December 2004, 11:49 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Paul Palmer should be along shortly, he likes his rear enders too. So to speak.

I've had 3 Manta's, all of them rusty. It's soooo hard to get a good one. They do exist though....

I'd be wary of big jap bruisers for that sort of money, spares can be expensive and hard to get, unless you buy a REALLY cheap one and throw it away if it breaks....

Would I be shot if I mentioned Rover 800? Thought so.....

Have a look on here, my kind of site. (bit popuppy though....)

http://bangernomics.tripod.com/index.html
LOL great site... looking now...

Yep the ol' Rear end malarky

Mate did the 2L twin 45's option... nice note... not for the wet tho

Quick Reply: Ok so you've got 1K budget to get a daily chuffer...