Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Renault Clio 182

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2004, 07:14 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Renault Clio 182

Some of you may remember the 182 vs Type R thread I started a few weeks back. At the time myself and my better half were debating the virtues of both cars with a view to buy new in the new year. Anyway, things are moving along faster than we thought and basically we went to view a 182 today. Now I know about the pros and cons of buying a Jap import, I've had my share, but now I'm faced with a Euro import and I'm not sure of the pitfalls.

Basically the 182 is a steal, £11,695 with delivery mileage, imported from the EU. It's currently unregistered and we would be the first registered keepers. The trade in they've offered isn't so good but it will still mean the Clio is well under list price.

What I need to know is:

How does a warranty stand up for a Euro import?
Are there 'usually' any insurance issues?
Do Euro imports generally represent a good deal or will we come to pay for it later, say servicing and that?

Cheers in advance

Ray
Old 06 December 2004, 07:29 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

I've just sold my 172 euro import (to my mum as it happens). I got it for 12k (02 brand new in March 02) I was the second owner as the garage pre-regd it. At that time the list price was 15.5k IIRC.

I had a third party warranty for an extra 2 years cover. In the 33 months of ownership I had an ABS sensor and a washer motor go **** up (the latter a week before I sold it!). The warranty paid out fine for the ABS sensor but I'm having grief with the washer motor (only 80 quid all in anyway). Other than that the car was cracking and was stupidly cheap to run for such a fast motor.

I've now got a WR1 (not quite run in yet...) but the clio still made me smile when I took it for a thrash at the weekend - they are fast little f@ckers, but it does rattle a bit (never noticed before).

Insurance is no different, never had trouble covering it and last year was <450 fully comp (28 full NCB).

I wouldnt go the third party warranty route again (cus they're all basically w@nkers), but don't you get a 3 year warranty no that the block exemption lark has been sorted?

I would also harrang a uk dealer as their prices narrowed to be much closer than imports after I'd bought mine.

Oh and on residual value - i got 7.5k for it with ease - they would have offered me 8.5 for a UK car - but I saved 3k on the price!!!!

christ that's an essay! hope this helps.
Old 06 December 2004, 07:55 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

can i just add that i hammerd a 182 on sunday in my wrx 93 .

stew

Last edited by axgt_bwaii; 06 December 2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06 December 2004, 07:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

When I bought my Clio 172 from Motorpoint at $11995, it was an EU source version from Holland. Renault UK head office confirmed in writing that I had one year dealership warrently followed by standard renault 2 year pan european warrenty. Insurance wasn't a problem either, for all intents and purposes, it was a UK sourced car. Only difference was that I had to fit my own CAT1 alarm, which Motor point did for a fee. Had no problems with the dealers either with warrenty issues or servicing.
Old 06 December 2004, 08:30 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by axgt_bwaii

stew
Standard? I had a go at a few WRX's in the clio and to be honest they didn't impress me at all - that's why I got a WR1 ;-)

I'm not saying a standard WRX isn't faster than a clio - just not THAT much faster that you can make em look silly (certainly not once rolling) .
Old 06 December 2004, 08:36 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by axgt_bwaii

stew
It was probably still being run in....
Old 07 December 2004, 07:51 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I bought a 1 year old CTR recently with 10k mileage, leather and AC for 14.5k. Was close to buying a new 182 with cup pack a week earlier and glad i didn't

Sean
Old 07 December 2004, 08:09 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

..thanks for you input

always nice to have some balanced, thoughful input.
Old 07 December 2004, 08:11 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would have a 182 but it would have to have the big stripe option. Thats the bit which makes it a scooby killer.

Gary
Old 07 December 2004, 08:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5_336
I bought a 1 year old CTR recently with 10k mileage, leather and AC for 14.5k. Was close to buying a new 182 with cup pack a week earlier and glad i didn't

Sean
Yeah, who would want a brand new Clio182 with all the extras at an even cheaper price, when you can spend more on a second hand car thats probably had a "hard" first 10K miles.
Old 07 December 2004, 09:09 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Yeah, who would want a brand new Clio182 with all the extras at an even cheaper price, when you can spend more on a second hand car thats probably had a "hard" first 10K miles.
Lol that’s exactly what I thought. Why would anyone get rid of a car after just 10K miles???? Because they didn’t plan on keeping it that long, and treated it like **** when braking the engine in. I know a guy who sells fleet cars who does this all the time, good fun though.
Old 07 December 2004, 09:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

To be fair though most people only keep their cars for 2 or 3 years at the most and doing 12K per year it will still have 46K on it when you sell it on. If its knackered after 46K miles hard use then its not a manufaturer I would buy a car from. Cars are made a little different then years ago when anything over 70K was considered high mileage
Old 07 December 2004, 10:18 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Trust me I’ve seen cars as new as 6 months and less than 10K miles from so called “reputable manufactures” that have been well and truly knackered. I accept they had to endure unnecessary abuse but they still went on sale to the public after a good wash and vacuum as “approved” 2nd hand cars.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:22 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

The 182 Cup gets a fantastic write up in the latest Autocar, crushing everything else in a group test of below £20k cars - including the WRX and new Golf gti, Cooper s etc.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:28 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
Lol that’s exactly what I thought. Why would anyone get rid of a car after just 10K miles???? Because they didn’t plan on keeping it that long, and treated it like **** when braking the engine in. I know a guy who sells fleet cars who does this all the time, good fun though.
You may be right with a minority but I bet there's plenty people that order a car (remember for example 182's had waiting lists at first) then their circumstances do genuinly and unexpectedley(sp?) change within first year of ownership.

I have been keeping an eye out on cliosport/pistonheads classifieds/autotrader for a 172 Cup & there are a few second hand UK main dealer bought 182's advertised at just over £10k for under 5k miles and 3-6months ownership, certainly made me seriously think about spending a bit more for the 182 instead

Still will depreciate a lot buying brand new look at the price of 1-2 year old 172's Also think a facelifted Clio isn't far away on the horizon. I'd defo rather buy nearly new than take the biggest depreciation hit.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:39 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I've heard all the horror stories, but alot of this comes down to perception. Renaults and French in general have a poor reputation for build quality, and Hondas can drive off cliffs, walk on water and rev to 8k revs without breaking. But that's not to say they don't break down. A quick squizz through the VTEC forums will show you, some Civics have nightmares too. What I am saying is, for a brand new hatch, you'd be unlikely to have serious problems with a Clio... (waits for onslaught from everyone lol)
There is a chap at the bottom of my road funny enough, with a 5 turbo, still going strong, still rakes **** out of it like the chav scum bag he is. Still sounds good and runs well, gawd knows the milleage, but it's over a decade old.

I drive a standard Clio quite often at the moment, the finish isn't great, rattles come as standard. But the build quality isn't that bad, it's three years old, nothings fallen off. Never been to the garage.

If I was in the market for hatch, I'd seriously consider a 182, but I doubt I'd wanna keep it longer than a year or two!
Old 07 December 2004, 10:41 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zoog
The 182 Cup gets a fantastic write up in the latest Autocar, crushing everything else in a group test of below £20k cars - including the WRX and new Golf gti, Cooper s etc.
Came third in ecoty05!!
Old 07 December 2004, 10:42 PM
IbizaFR
Scooby Regular

cheap plasticy, and old design. Wasted one that was making some noise today also.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:57 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IbizaFR
Wasted one that was making some noise today also.
Old 08 December 2004, 12:01 AM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

£11700 is a mega steal for a new car, nice one. Throw in the performance, think it has a/c as standard - well good.

Coming from a Civic R driver
Old 08 December 2004, 08:06 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

cheap plasticy, and old design. Wasted one that was making some noise today also.
Woah! what a guy!! you are a driving god!
Old 08 December 2004, 08:17 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Does wasted one mean that you shot it?
Old 08 December 2004, 09:19 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Do you want a brand new UK car for similar money, supplied by a Renault dealer?
Old 08 December 2004, 03:06 PM
mikeGG
Scooby Regular

Ive had my 182 for 5 months now. Got it to replace my MY99 UK Turbo with full decat etc... I cant lie and say 'I have never looked back' because I loved my Scoob but the running costs were killing me! However the 182 is a very impressive car which would certainly hung onto the back of my old scoob once the initial deficit from the standing start was overturned! Its also nice to have a bit of luxury T/C, Climate, Xenons, Auto lights, Auto wipers, Cruise, leather all from new and i paid less than £12K. Word of warning though I have replaced the exhaust of mine because I couldnt get used to not hearing the car but nothing can make up for a decatted flat four except perhaps a TVR or Ferrari maybe ; )

Mike
Old 08 December 2004, 03:13 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C
Do you want a brand new UK car for similar money, supplied by a Renault dealer?
yes please.
Old 08 December 2004, 06:48 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Amazing how many people knock 182s.

As pointed out, latest Autocar, 182 is quicker on track than all other tested cars, inc 2005WRX. In the twisties. On a track where it would have trouble putting it's power down.

Guess you lot won't believe it though - you only tend to believe the "good" stuff

If IbizaFR actually owns an IbizaFR, PMSL at them calling a car cheap and plasticky

Old 08 December 2004, 07:13 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

www.drivethedeal.com has them for a good price, and they r uk main dealer iirc.
Old 08 December 2004, 07:18 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny B
yes please.
Would you take it asap?
Old 08 December 2004, 08:21 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

In a straight line off the lights? Hmmm. We're not showing who has what footbal card, it's suppose to be about fun to drive, not just who can get first off the lights and be a menace.

What I forgot to mention in my last post.

Even the standard Clio has a good chassis, it freaking well leans like a plane and the standard power steering is dire (no feedback at all) , but it's got bags of grip, and very adjustable through the corners. I had it drifting about a few times at reletively low speeds in dry and wet. I've driven the 172. and I bet 182 is a hoot to drive based on both of those...
Old 08 December 2004, 08:33 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

it freaking well leans like a plane and the standard power steering is dire
lol, the gf has a 1.4S and motion sickness on cornering is an issue!

Quick Reply: Renault Clio 182