Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Project 205 Mi16 - time for an update.

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 12:27 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project 205 Mi16 - time for an update.

Been working on rebuilding my 205 since summer, so thought it may be time to update the Scoobynet other marques forum with my progress.

Taken from the 205 BBS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well its time to make a start on my ambitious project of removing my kaput Mi16 unit and replacing it with something else. Ambitious cos the most mechanical 205 jobs I've done are new discs/pads and new radiator - never ever tried removing an engine or putting one back in. I will also be minting the engine bay in between as well.

UPDATE 1

Right, finally made a start on the car last night.

Current position of car, and starting point:

Removal of front end, lights, grill etc:

Battery
, rad, fans, hoses

Inlet, injection, coil, HT leads etc

And where all the bits are going for now:

Will do some more tonight and post an update at the weekend - the bloody inlet manifold was a right git!!

UPDATE 2

More progress made now - wiring is all separated into individual looms away from the engine, more ancillary bits removed and exhaust manifold removed.

UPDATE 3
Well the engine is finally out - hooray!!

We couldn't manage to transport the crane over safely enough, so had to take the unit out the bottom without the crane.

Everything was relatively easy really such as driveshafts, engine mounts etc etc.

Most stuff came off with the minimum of fuss. Hardest part was lowering the engine down. We put 2 pallets underneath, then just dropped the gearbox mount and the engine had a comfy landing on the soaking wet pallets.

We then had to drop the cambelt side and finally had the engine on the pallets. We then smashed the top pallet which dropped the engine onto pallet 1 and then had to jack the car up about 3 feet before smashing the final pallet and pulling the engine out.

I would advise anyone doing this to get an engine crane though. I'll defo get one for the engine going back in. Only casualties were a bent quickshift linkage and my muscles

Next step is to jetwash the engine bay, replace any rusty parts and clean up other parts such as MC etc - also going to be removing the PAS pipes. Also need to dismantle the current engine and have a nose inside it.

UPDATE 4

More progress today

Managed to remove most of the PAS system, and then jetwashed the entire engine bay, suspension and sub frame area so its all nice and clean now. Also started on dismantling the engine. Just need a T55 torx bit now for the head removal.

UPDATE 5

Well, plenty more progress this week.

Started with a good jetwashing of the engine bay as everything was covered in years of old oil, so it ended up like this:

Just need to paint a few bits up now to make it look good.

Then had to start on dismantling the engine as it was outside in the rain

First job was to remove the head, which resulted in skinning two knuckles..

Head is very carbonised. Block now on its own (rust is from last few days rain only.

Then had to work on removing the clutch, flywheel and finally pistons/liners.

Considering it was the piston rings that were gone, everything looked remarkably sound to my untrained eye. The bearings did have some scoring on them though, and a couple were orange as you can see above - looked burnt. The 0.5-1mm lip on the piston liners was causing the problem though.

Crankshaft:

The components once everything had been separated.

And now all the other bits i've removed - I had to take all the bits out of the boot to re-arrange them so I could fit the engine inside - this scared me a little, as I realised how much stuff I have removed, and hence need to replace.

And finally, the full engine and gearbox in the boot

So next phase is to find a new engine, and sort out how to fit my new GSXR 750 TB's onto the Mi16 motor - i'm going for the all out "grass roots" setup if poss.

Also need to work on a detachable loom that I have in mind - i.e. a wiring loom that can be unplugged easily for any future engine removal.

UPDATE 6

OK, time for this week's progress report

Initial news is the purchase of some GSXR 750 TB's which will be run in conjunction with an Emerald ECU. These have a 40mm outlet port which is good enough for 200bhp, and only 1mm in total shy of the std inlet ports.

Nice and clean and only £63 from Ebay

I now have the manifold and fuel rail downstairs which I will be working on shortly - the manifold will be cut and shut to mate the TB's up with the head.

Spent some time yesterday removing the exhaust manifold (rusted bolt nightmare), and removing the final parts of the PAS system - ram pipe, final piping etc.

Then decided to remove the entire loom from the engine bay, and continue to clean up the bay ready for some minor spraying. Bought some Miami Blue paint from Halfrauds to touch up the minor scratches you can see.

All in all though, the bay is looking pretty good so far.

Then removed the std ECU and wiring, which will allow me to create a bespoke "plug and play" loom for the Emerald replacement.

Still lots to do (like finding a new engine), but its getting there.
Just ordered the Emerald 3D ECU as well which should arrive next week.

UPDATE 7

Stripped the existing wiring loom wire by wire last night - that was fun especially the bit where I slipped trying to cut some old insulation tape and drove the end of the scissors straight into my index finger.

So thats about 10 plasters i'm up to now.

Need to start on the new loom when the Emerald arrives.

Cleaned the engine bay up yesterday, and sanded and primed any rusty bits ready for spraying.

I also primed the slam panel as I want it in body colour, and generally went mad with primer on any scratches, rust spots etc.

Next step is to spray the bay and remove the exhaust centre section so I can have a new s/s one ready for fitting. The actual car will be completed then, ready for the new engine (if I can find one).

Now need to concentrate on the induction and Emerald wiring loom nightmare

UPDATE 8

Right, engine bay was tidied and sprayed yesterday, so the actual car is pretty much ready now, bar a few tidying of lighting wires etc.

Bay before tidying:

After some sanding:

Primed and ready:

Shiny new bay, slam panel, servo and MC:

There are some runs to sort on the stickers, but may just remove them

Need to start building the Emerald loom next, but with moving house, Xmas etc, time is short.

Bought 2 x Corbeau bucket seats for the interior.

UPDATE 9

Moving house at the moment, so no progress.

The 205 will have its own little garage to kip in over the winter once moved.

So, I will be trailering it to its new home next week, where it will get a thorough clean and polish and be put to bed over the festive period, ready for its new lump in Jan/Feb some time.

Will still be working on the Emerald/induction in the meantime though, so will keep updating this post with
info

To be continued.............

Old 30 November 2004, 12:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's coming along well! That's an interesting idea for the throttle bodies they should sound excellent Is the inlet manifold going to easy to sort out?
Old 30 November 2004, 01:05 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

No!! Its a bloody nightmare

I need to chop the current inlet manifold off, just after the injectors then fabricate a method of clamping the TB's to the manifold.

A mate has a big alloy saw, but due to the manifold being curved we couldnt get it to clamp firmly enough to cut through, so i'm using old fashioned methods - a hacksaw

That and creating the brand new Emerald loom are the hardest bits. Here's the loom I need to build from scratch:

http://www.kreature.co.uk/netimg/pro...6/emerald3.gif
Old 30 November 2004, 01:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Looking good, although I'm not sure the GSX-R TB's will flow enough for 200bhp, I know some GSX-R 1000 tuners bore out those TB's before they hit the magic 200 figure.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:09 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

They're 40mm so should flow up to 51bhp per cylinder according to the Jenvey site, so 204bhp in total. The TB's/ECU combo will only make about 180bhp so they should be OK.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
No!! Its a bloody nightmare

I need to chop the current inlet manifold off, just after the injectors then fabricate a method of clamping the TB's to the manifold.

A mate has a big alloy saw, but due to the manifold being curved we couldnt get it to clamp firmly enough to cut through, so i'm using old fashioned methods - a hacksaw

That and creating the brand new Emerald loom are the hardest bits. Here's the loom I need to build from scratch:

http://www.kreature.co.uk/netimg/pro...6/emerald3.gif
Sounds like a nightmare to me!!! I wouldn't know where to start and it's too cold at the moment to be playing with cars anyway
Old 30 November 2004, 01:22 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

This is where the idea came from for the TB's:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=775280

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=975931&page=1
Old 30 November 2004, 01:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I think they'll work well. Are you keeping the injectors in the TB's or in the inlet manifold?
Old 30 November 2004, 01:35 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Keeping them in the inlet with the original fuel rail close to the ports, for better fuel atomisation.

I could use them in the TB's for more torque, but the TB ports would need machining out a bit, and I would need a new fuel rail etc - easier to use the existing holes and weld the TB's up.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:15 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Keeping them in the inlet with the original fuel rail close to the ports, for better fuel atomisation.

I could use them in the TB's for more torque, but the TB ports would need machining out a bit, and I would need a new fuel rail etc - easier to use the existing holes and weld the TB's up.
Instead of welding why not tap them and screw some bolts in?

Now this is interesting, I might actually copy you Let me gues this wright you want to use the flange and the injector plucs from the Mi manifold and mate them to the Tb's.

So the only problem is the mating ie a new flange needs to be made to attach the the Tb's well if I copy you i'll get two flanges made up and welded to the manifold thats if you want to anyway
Old 30 November 2004, 02:42 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I dont mind anyone copying me, fire away

The idea is to cut the manifold just after the injector holes. So, you keep the manifold, injectors and fuel rail as they are now.

You then extend the TB's slightly, as they need about 5mm between each one to fit the manifold. The main work is getting these to connect to the manifold - the Honda boys use silicon hosing to clamp the manifold to the TB's which is apparently how the bike TB's are mounted OEM anyway.

I will then need to make a new throttle linkage, and extend the current ones slightly.

I like the tapping idea, may be easier. I am also going to be using one of the current TB injector holes to supply vacuum to the brake servo so will need a pipe join welded in.

It will probably work out more expensive than Jenvey's, but I like the idea of DIY stuff.
Old 30 November 2004, 05:24 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Looking good, although I'm not sure the GSX-R TB's will flow enough for 200bhp, I know some GSX-R 1000 tuners bore out those TB's before they hit the magic 200 figure.
They should be okay on a relatively low revving motor such as this. There are different airflow characteristics to take into account when using them on a bike, i.e: 9,000 largeish gulps of air compared to 14,000 smaller ones
Old 30 November 2004, 05:27 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Why not really show off and run 8 injectors, touring car stylee Get the best of both worlds then
Old 30 November 2004, 06:53 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

we just got this runnin...

mi16 4x4, pectel management, t3
Old 30 November 2004, 07:28 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Think the rear could do with just a tiny amount of lowering
Old 30 November 2004, 08:20 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

My recollection of the emarald loom was that it wasn't that tricky to sort . . . Brother's 2 litre Zetec Fisher Fury is running Emerald (M3D IIRC) with Jenvey bodies (45mm, again IIRC). As the resident expert in electric-trickery at the time, I sorted a lot of his loom, and a bit of "real time map tweaking" too. One thing I do remember though is that at first it fried a couple of ignition amplifiers (think his was running "wasted spark", definitely 2 cylinders per amplifier, anyway). Make sure they are solidly mounted to a decent bit of metal to act as heatsink, his problem was they were attached to fibreglass via a small bit of thin plate.

I still have vivid memories of him chasing a Lotus Carlton with the roof down, whilst I was desperately hanging on to the lap-top with one hand, and using the other to use emerald's real-time "mixture offset" based on lambda sensor readings (he was running a "generic zetec" base map at the time). It's an odd but nice feeling going at 130mph to feel the engine pick up in time to you pressing the "+" key on a laptop. Couldn't condone it on UK roads, of course.

Anyway, looks like a nice project, all the best with it.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:42 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

you mean like this

Old 30 November 2004, 10:04 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Dales has grown horns!

Looking good matey
Old 30 November 2004, 10:26 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Lookin good Simon.
Any luck with the new unit from Sly's cousins contact ?
If not I'm sure I'll sniff out a Mi16 unit if I put my nose to the air

Shout if I can help.
Chris
Old 01 December 2004, 09:34 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cheers all.

Chris - Sly is sorting me with the trailer first, will look into the engine once i've moved, but keep your ear to the ground.

BOB - LOL

Chrispduk - considered the 8 injectors as the Emerald supports it, but that means twice as much to go wrong with the fitting You can set it up to run 4 injectors at low RPM, then fir another 4 in at say 4500rpm for huge power.

Dingy, looking good, is Martin helping with that?
Old 01 December 2004, 09:49 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chrispduk - considered the 8 injectors as the Emerald supports it, but that means twice as much to go wrong with the fitting You can set it up to run 4 injectors at low RPM, then fir another 4 in at say 4500rpm for huge power.
Put em on anyway, you don't have to have 'em running for it to look

Old 01 December 2004, 05:02 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dingy
you mean like this

dingy, did you build that or did you buy it, I knew of one that spec a few years ago, only problem was that everybody and their dog had had a hand in it so it ran like a dog.

John.
Old 01 December 2004, 05:38 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

>Chrispduk - considered the 8 injectors as the Emerald supports it, but that means twice as much to go wrong with the fitting You can set it up to run 4 injectors at lo
w RPM, then fir another 4 in at say 4500rpm for huge power.

My Golf 16v Mk2 Turbo Technics runs kinda like that - 4 mechanical injectors as standard and 4 extra electronic injs tapped into the manifold which cut in when the boost demands more fuel... lots of plumbing and messing about but it works... :-)

Last edited by JonW; 01 December 2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01 December 2004, 05:42 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

John this car was from scotland and has never run or at least properly since the cossie management was fitted..

Apparently superchips mapped it, which is amazing considering the dizzy phase was going normal cossie style, and the phase is opposite on this engine LOL so would never run right.

Runs like a dream now LOL

Dream weaver - martin aint helping with this project as far as i am aware, karl norris is mapping it, me and oli got it running
Old 03 December 2004, 11:59 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dingy
John this car was from scotland and has never run or at least properly since the cossie management was fitted..

Apparently superchips mapped it, which is amazing considering the dizzy phase was going normal cossie style, and the phase is opposite on this engine LOL so would never run right.

Runs like a dream now LOL

Dream weaver - martin aint helping with this project as far as i am aware, karl norris is mapping it, me and oli got it running
dingy, yup the very car I thought it was almost got ramshakled into helping out on it a few years ago, I took one look a the mess the loom was in at the time and said no way. Good to see it finally up and running as it had all the right bits on it when I last looked at it. IIRC it cost the original owner a very sizeable chunk of cash to build it.

John.
Old 04 December 2004, 01:38 AM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Can't wait for you to finish this Simon...

My other mate with the 205 Mi16 (that bought my Clio Cup off me) needs to get his @rse into gear and sort his engine out too, this might spur him into action!
Old 05 December 2004, 09:26 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

The loom is actually very good mate, which shocked us
Old 06 December 2004, 03:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rich D
Can't wait for you to finish this Simon...

My other mate with the 205 Mi16 (that bought my Clio Cup off me) needs to get his @rse into gear and sort his engine out too, this might spur him into action!
Rick, will let you know when its done, just moved into a new house on Friday so in a bit of a mess as yet. Need to sort the garage out, then transfer the 205 up there.

Dont even have a net connection yet, using my mums
Old 06 December 2004, 09:56 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Rick, will let you know when its done, just moved into a new house on Friday so in a bit of a mess as yet. Need to sort the garage out, then transfer the 205 up there.

Dont even have a net connection yet, using my mums
Cool... let me know!