Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What Car (Hot Hatch/Coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2004, 11:44 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Car (Hot Hatch/Coupe)

Ok due to change in circumstances where I was gonna be unable to drive for a few months due to a back op which has been cancelled I'm looking for something fun over the winter preferably a hot hatch/coupe for roughly around £8-9k.

Has to be:
1) Fun (RWD is out of the question for the winter)
2) Cheapish to run/maintain/insure (compared to a scooby before any jumps in and says 'well why you looking for a performance car' )
3) Newish (upto 4 or 5 years old)
4) un-moddified so we're comparing standard cars here (only possible mods I'd be interested in are breathing ones)
5) I'm aiming for something with more go than my Mk2 Golf Gti 8v (which is my cherished run-around at the minute and will be my second car )
6) Must not be a high depreciating car that will lose me thousands in 3-9 months when I'd most likely be moving onto a summer RWD car if possible.
7) UK car

Last Year I decided on an Integra Type R (which I would have kept for at least 3 years as I liked and wanted one that bad) and still would love one now but after looking for one on and off for over a year with no luck I've no choice but to put it off till next year.

.........So........

my choices so far are:

Clio Cup 172 - had previously been put off them because of build quality, it's French, it's a Clio, it's a Renault, the seats (my 15 year old golf's look more sporty & feel more supportive), no Xenons Air Con or ABS, driving position, interior. But after parking next to one today looks wise they have grown on me, and there's no arguing about the performance or handling.

Ford Racing Puma - the worst part is the engine/lack of power and performance, the FRP deserved much more.... as the looks, chassis/handling, interior, and those Sparco seats all are very very impressive (better than the Clio IMO). So it's the 155bhp 1.7vtec unit that's the main thing putting me off.

So anyone got some good suggestions of similar cars that might appeal to me?
Old 11 November 2004, 12:26 AM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

I've had a Clio Cup... best "bang for your buck" out there in that price range!

Or, how about one of the last 306 GTi-6's (I'm currently driving one) they were made up to 2000 on an X-Reg and can be had quite cheaply now. Not as quick as the Clio, but not slow and they are a joy to drive!

The Teg Type-R is obviously a total weapon and should seriously be considered if you can find the right one.

How about an Accord Type-R?

Or the Seat Ibiza (1.8 20v Turbo) is a lot of car for the money, and a chip away from being rapid.

The Focus ST170 is a good drive, but doesn't feel as quick as it should.

I'll keep thinking...
Old 11 November 2004, 09:23 AM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

My mate has a Clio 172 Cup and I've had a good blast in it. It's a fun car to drive. Very quick.

Another mate is in the process of buying a Racing Puma.

Personally I'd go for the FRP because I love the motorsport feel it has and the styling just "works" for me. But depends how you get your kicks. The FRP is quite a bit slower on the straights than the Clio but the FRP is in a different league for handling.
Old 11 November 2004, 10:06 AM
U WOT!
Scooby Regular

Had a gti-6 before i traded in for the scooby. Loved every minutue of it. If its between the clio and puma i'd go for puma on looks and interior. How about fiat coupe?
Old 11 November 2004, 10:14 AM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

2001 Skoda Oktavia RS on about 60k miles should come into your price bracket and certainly ticks most of the boxes you mention and can be gently modified up to 200bhp
Old 11 November 2004, 10:29 AM
ocean
Scooby Regular

Get the 172 Cup, I had one and regret selling it everyday. Very light so stunning agility on swooping and crested corners and between 0-100 very fast in a straight line.

low weight also means porsche beating braking distances

and superb fuel economy

no silly driver "aids" mean you control the car not a nannying computer. much more fun

even no ABS which I liked as ABS is a dangerous hinderence on really slippery surfaces

it regularly humiliated much more prestigious machinery
Old 11 November 2004, 11:01 AM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

I would agree with rich d. The 306 Gti-6 really is a brilliant all round car. Owned one a couple of years ago and really miss it.
Old 11 November 2004, 12:19 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Keep them coming...

306 GTI-6 or Rallye - had briefly crossed my mind although some of the newer hot hatch brigade seemed to appeal more for some reason (maybe because they look out-dated IMO and hardly changed since the first model, also very common and don't look any different from the rest of the range but suppose that also means more choice when buying). But at the end of the day this was in the £>5k budget I was looking at with other warm hatches and older cars not so long ago when I ended up getting my Golf

Octavia vRS & Ibiza Cupra (R) - Octavia is really too big and heavy a car for what I need plus in standard form the 1.8 20v turbo is a bit boring/linear and I'm not looking to go down the chipping route if possible. Ibiza Cupra R with 180bhp as standard would be the one to go for, and agree it's a lot of car for the money plus it's german and would expect very well built, definately a car to consider although not sure kept standard it would be as fun as a Clio Cup/FRP/ITR? Anyone owned or driven a Ibiza Cupra R? wouldn't mind finding out more about them.

Focus ST170 - non-starter for me really, only Focus I'd consider is a RS and well out of my budget at the moment.

Accord Type R - Again too big and heavy although the extra power of the H22A? over the ITR makes up for it slightly but If I'd bought one I know I'd keep on wishing I had an ITR

Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo - amazing straight line performance once on the move, quite like the looks especially in portifino blue (sp?), but Fiat dealers, insurance costs and more importantly reliablility are putting me off...

The problem is that I can't think of anything FWD that's as special 'out the factory' as the Clio Cup/FRP/ITR?
Old 11 November 2004, 02:47 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

How about one of the last Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo Aeros? 225bhp
Fits all your criteria and pretty much all of its depreciation has already happened. They were the best part of £30,000 new and you can get very nice low mileage examples for about £4-5k (as cheap as about £2.5k for say a 1994 with 150,000+ miles)!! Such an underestimated car in my opinion.
And yes it is a hatchback before this argument..nay...discussion gets brought up again!
Old 11 November 2004, 06:06 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I picked up a v6 2.8 Golf 4mo for £9,500 - W (2000) plate just a few months ago

204bhp 199ft/lbs. 4 wheel drive,ideal for the winter... Golfs keep their value really well.... of course the GOLF is a common car but the 4Mo ain't
Old 11 November 2004, 06:28 PM
Oranoco
Scooby Regular

If you want a laugh for buttons you can't go wrong with a Pug 1.9 GTi. They are a hoot and you'll still have a large wedge of cash in your pocket.

Mate of mine has a Clio 172 cup and a 93 WRX and he spends more time in the Clio. They are buzzy and not built well and feel like they would melt in the sun. However they rev very well and handle very nicely and when you get a corner right it is very rewarding. The Racing Puma is tweekable and there are many companies that can tweek one for you. There have been Puma's running Focus RS lumps and even a Cossie 4x4 one.

I'd buy the Clio though