Number plate in the window ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 03:56 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number plate in the window ?

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find the answer to this one ! I want to know if it is legal to have your front number plate attached to the inside (or outside I guess) of the windscreen ?

Might seem a strange question, but I have a Veilside Supra and a FMIC - I just don't want to screw brackets into the front bumper just for a poxy number plate. It looks crap, reduces airflow to the IC (marginally ) and puts holes in my nice bodykit that ain't cheap.

So, just thinking where else could I put it !

Had a look at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regm...quirements.htm and it just says it has to be visible at the front.

Anyone know the legalities of this ?

Ta

Matt
Old 11 October 2004, 04:10 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

alot of simular threads like this on the mazdarotaryclub forum as RX7 bumpers arent exactly plate friendly either!

alot put them on thier dash boards so they can be seen,

another option is a stick on number plate, have you considered that?

Old 11 October 2004, 04:15 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hello mate,

Yeah considered the stick on plate, and I might have to go for that but I'd rather not.

Maybe I'll take a wander over to mazdarotaryclub and intruduce meself

Ta

Matt
Old 11 October 2004, 05:10 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Stick on plates are not allowed !

I suspect that the plate must be permanently fixed to the front of the vehicle - If not permanently fixed it must be "Clearly Visible to aid vehicle identification" - which is down to interpretation or put another way - Depends if the Police have got something better to do !

Last edited by jasey; 11 October 2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:15 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

i drove around for 6 months with it in my windscreen.
It was clearly visible but i got pulled loads of times.
Asked them to show me written confirmation that i had to have it on the bumper, and they couldnt.
Old 11 October 2004, 05:20 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Freak
i drove around for 6 months with it in my windscreen.
It was clearly visible but i got pulled loads of times.
Asked them to show me written confirmation that i had to have it on the bumper, and they couldnt.
I guess it comes down to your definition of "Displayed at the Front and Rear Of the Vehicle " - Wouldn't want to push my luck with a gobby copper cos I'm sure he'd win - The windscreen isn't really at the front - but it is forward facing .
Old 11 October 2004, 07:32 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers all, the DVLA does just say 'visible at the front', and if you looked head on - would it be less visible on the windscreen than the bumper ?

I'll keep looking in the meantime I think, I would like a definitive answer - I'll let you know if I find anything.

Matt
Old 11 October 2004, 07:48 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Can't remember the exact wording but Construction and Use legislations mentions it must be a on a flat surface...hence having a plate in the first place. Stick on is not allowed, but as i understand it on some cars when you see a plate at an angle because it's been screwed flat to the front lip to stop it blocking the IC (if you can imagine what i'm getting at) that that is also not acceptable...although whether it's because it has to be upright or because of the demand that it be visible and easily read, i'm not sure.
If you are really worried, pm me to remind me, and i'll dig out the legislation at work for you...
For most coppers (exclude the traffic boys here, it is afterall there job) if it can be seen clearly, and doesn't take the **** size wise, you'll not have a problem....but in the window is right out....as a beat bobby with better things to do, i'd rather see a slightly curved plate or angled as described above, then stuck in the window where i can't read it....

Pause for brief and predicatble slagging of cops (traffic or not) from those reading this who aren't so friendly!!!! I say pants to you, the law is the law, i don't write it, just get paid (by you guys ) to enforce it

I should also clarify that when i say i have better things to do, it's because i'm not a traffic cop, not because i think it's a waste of time....there are not enough traffic cops out there, and they do a grand job, if only Joe Public realised.....
Old 11 October 2004, 08:28 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

stick on not allowed but never had them queried at MOT
Old 11 October 2004, 09:30 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Brother had a bodykit and expensive paint job and didnt want to spoil it with a numberplate on the bumper, so stuck it in the front window, police never pulled him in the 4months on having it there, until he went for a MOT where he was told that he must put it back on the front bumper otherwise it would fail the MOT, so he stuck it on with double sided tape, so that it wouldnt ruin the paint and bodywork.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:33 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

What about a huge sunstrip with your number plate on?
Old 12 October 2004, 10:55 AM
matt5cott
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stick it on, then cut the heads off two screws then stick them onto the number plate so it looks screwed in

Job done
Old 01 November 2004, 01:29 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Whats the problem? As long as you hold it up clearly as your passing $camera vans

People have trade plates in the windscreen and they are 'clearly visible from the front of the car'
Bob
Old 02 November 2004, 11:32 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I have looked at the dvla regs and cant find anywhere which suggests that displaying a plate in the windscreen is illegal.

It only says that 'stick on plates are not permitted as they do not conform to British Standards'

So if you take a fully legal numberplate from the front (that conforms to British Standards and display it in the windscreen....whats wrong with that?

Have I missed something?

Bob
Old 02 November 2004, 02:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Right have dug deep to find the full legislation on this matter and it is as follows:

"PART II

REGISTRATION PLATES

Interpretation of Part II
4. In this Part the following expressions shall have the following meanings -

"diagonal length", in relation to a relevant area, means the length of a line drawn diagonally across the square enclosing the area (so that the extent of the relevant area is thereby delimited);

"relevant area", in relation to a registration plate, means the area contained in a square described on the ground -

(a) in front of the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, and

(b) behind the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle,

where one corner of the square is immediately below the middle of the plate and the diagonal of the square from that corner is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

"relevant type-approval directive" means -

(a) in the case of a motor cycle, motor tricycle or quadricycle -

(i) Council Directive 93/94/EEC[4] (as amended by Commission Directive 99/26/EC[5]) as regards the space to be provided for fixing of the rear registration plate, and

(ii) Council Directive 93/92/EEC[6] as regards the rear registration plate lamp;

(b) in the case of any other vehicle or a trailer -

(i) Council Directive 70/222/EEC[7] as regards the space to be provided for fixing of the rear registration plate, and

(ii) Council Directive 76/760/EEC[8] (as amended by Commission Directive 97/31/EC[9]) as regards the rear registration plate lamp.

Fixing of rear registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date
5. - (1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of -

(a) the vehicle, or

(b) where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

(c) where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

(3) Where a vehicle (or, in a case where the plate is required to be fixed on a trailer, that trailer) has been constructed so as to satisfy the requirements of the relevant type-approval directive, whether or not it is required by law to satisfy them, the plate may be fixed in the space provided in accordance with those requirements but if it is not so fixed it must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (3) the plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).

(6) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres."

Source: Her Majesty's Stationary Office - Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/cgi-bin/htm_h...er_first_match

Pay particlar attention to 4(a).
There is some flexibility with regards to imports and cars not designed to hold front plates. You must attempt to place them as vertical as is practical on the front of the car.

Stick ons are not allowed as they dont not conform to British Standards.

Bob