Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Boxster S, 330 CI or D or New STI

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 01:59 PM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster S, 330 CI or D or New STI

Right, have not been here for ages as changes in home life forced sale of my very much loved RB5 WR Sport. Anyway, those changes are now out of the way, and have no need for the sensible family car I presently own, therefore, the question begs what now.

Options are: -

Boxster S love the idea, never had a two seater drop head before.

BM 330 CI Sport or D Sport.

New STI or second hand WR1 if available.

So what do you guys in the know reckon???? There muist be some people that have driven all 4, and can give an educated decission.

Cheers

Geoff
Old 06 October 2004, 02:05 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

not had the boxter S but have a 996 C4, the biggest pain on the Porker side is its lack of practiability. You really don't realise how many times you need the room. I always needed the other car for stuff and ended up hardly using the porker, 30K KM in 4 years is not good value for money. If you've had an RB5 then why would you go for a new Sti ? If you were sold on the scoob you would not even been asking so its down between the Porker and the BMW. We've a 3 series at the moment and its great but its not a 330CI so cannot comment on it specifically.

Prevously had an STi before the Porker and it was a great car but its a different type of performance between the 2.
Old 06 October 2004, 02:05 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Out of all those I'd have the Boxster S any day. Small family I take it?
Old 06 October 2004, 02:06 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are 3 TOTALLY different cars. Why did you shortlist them?
Old 06 October 2004, 02:07 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I dunno.. they're all flash and sporty
Old 06 October 2004, 02:41 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Boxster S.. Facelift model looks nice (if not all that different).. I'd maybe wait for the Coupe version in 2005.
How about an M3 or S4?
Old 06 October 2004, 03:07 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

My brother had a shortlist similar to yours(but was hankering after a Clio V6 rather than an Imprezza)

I guess it depends if you like/want the rally style as well as the performance,or the styling and drive of a "sports" car like the boxster or the 330ci.

Anyway, we drove the Clio V6,Boxster and the BM.

My brother prefered the Beemer, and it is a gorgous car, looks right in any enviorment /situation...He felt a bit boy racerish in the Clio and dismissed the Imprezza outright for the same reason.

me?... I would have bought an Imprezza ..Most bang for your £ ..and I love the look of them
Old 06 October 2004, 03:07 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Are you insane? How could anyone seriously be in the market for a car and narrow it down to 3(4) so diverse cars?
C
Old 06 October 2004, 03:28 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he may be Chuck.

Geoff, tell me about your childhood?

F
Old 06 October 2004, 03:50 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

If you want an auto think about a Merc C320, just make sure you have manufacturers warranty left on it just in case of anything major going wrong. They drive very nicely and are pretty rapid, and is one of the fastest autos in its class I think.

Merc do very well in the nice touches department, memory wing mirrors, memory steering wheel, automatic lights and windscreen wipers, the lights come on when you blip the alarm when it's dark etc, etc.......

It pretty much depends if you want a GT, roadster or a sports really, scooby for sports and BMW/Merc for the GT. Porsche if you want a roadster and can do without the other seats, which can become annoying when your friends end up having to do all the driving cos they won't fit in a Boxster.......
Old 06 October 2004, 03:54 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosty The Snowman
Porsche if you want a roadster and can do without the other seats, which can become annoying when your friends end up having to do all the driving cos they won't fit in a Boxster.......
Sounds terrible!
Old 06 October 2004, 03:56 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I have to admit that I couldn't choose between a Porsche and a Subaru either....was a pretty expensive bit of indecision on my part LOL
Cman
Old 06 October 2004, 04:09 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Sounds terrible!
one of my mates has a 355 as his only car and has done for the last three years, novalty value soon wears off...only two seats is a mega pain in the a$$
Old 06 October 2004, 04:11 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

It does annoy your mates having to taxi you round, take this from a friend who fortunately doesn't drink too much but would prefer to have a night off driving once in a while
Old 06 October 2004, 04:14 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty The Snowman
It does annoy your mates having to taxi you round, take this from a friend who fortunately doesn't drink too much but would prefer to have a night off driving once in a while
Or more commonly, having to take two cars for just four people cause he wants to drive...and everybody fighting over who has called shotgun first
Old 07 October 2004, 12:29 PM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Wink

So, why did I shortlist these three? OK here goes.

Boxster - Something about owning a Porsche, never had a two seater sports, and all of a sudden finding myself single again seems like a good idea. Can't think of another in the say £30K ish budget that would match or be better as an only car.

330 CI - Slightly more practical still a pretty gfood performer without loosing the refinement of the V70 T5 I have had for the last eight months and grown quite used to.

Another Scoob - Well I loved it, and as everyone has said loads of punch for your pound. And all the cars I have looked at so far, none of them pull like my RB5 did on full boost. Hence perhaps the WR1. And at the end of the day, gets me back in this coimmunity which I have to say O have missed. Parhaps my mid is made up.

We shall see. As an aisde, what views do people have on RS4's?

Cheers

Geoff
Old 07 October 2004, 12:41 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crowtherg
We shall see. As an aisde, what views do people have on RS4's?
Looking to change for an RS4 myself from a MY03 STI PPP. Unfortunately they are as rare as rocking horse doo doo! They only brought 400 to the UK and finding a low mileage one is hard. Well for me it is as I am looking for one under 30000 miles. Looking for an RS4 as it is far more practical and just as quick as the STI. V8 as well!!!!
Old 07 October 2004, 02:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

RS4s - unmatchable performance and comfort, but can be a little bit soulless if you want a true driving machine in The Twisties. So I hear.
Old 07 October 2004, 02:40 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_BLUES
Looking to change for an RS4 myself from a MY03 STI PPP. Unfortunately they are as rare as rocking horse doo doo! They only brought 400 to the UK and finding a low mileage one is hard. Well for me it is as I am looking for one under 30000 miles. Looking for an RS4 as it is far more practical and just as quick as the STI. V8 as well!!!!
The RS6 has a V8, the RS4 has a V6
Old 07 October 2004, 09:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried an RS4 and driven it reasonably hard? I tried one recently down a road I know well, the owner had a shot of my Scooby and then I tried his RS4 down the same route. We both pushed the cars reasonably hard. Now my Scooby is heavily modified so ignoring the massive acceleration advantage (50% higher power to weight ratio in the Scooby's favour), the main thing we noted was the lack of body control and stability of the RS4 compared with Scooby. My chassis mods are not extensive, just P1 suspension with a load of Whiteline bits, 215/45R17 tyres.

The RS4 was initially reasonably confidence inspiring in normal driving, but when you really pushed on its traction limits were relatively low over rough roads, body control was poor over crests with a bobbing motion that really encouraged you to back off. The suspension geometry had just been setup by the same guy who setup my suspension to incredible effect, and was apparently an improvement on the otherwise standard spec. The owner could of course upgrade the power on the RS4, but he just didn't want to as we all agreed it couldn't handle the standard power when pressed hard down a rough, twisty B road with compressions and unpredictability. I was astonished how easily I could push the limits of the body control whereas the Scooby just takes the pi$$ out of me even with 440 BHP when I push on and takes all I dare throw at it. The brakes whilst strong, were not feelsome and easy to modulate, they were over-servoed, and the clutch was grabby.

I was incredibly disappointed to be honest. I quite fancied doing something to an RS4 in future, not now. It would be a nice cruiser, but for me the spell was broken when I started pushing on. I know I'm comparing modified and standard, but the bar should be higher than this I thought, the chassis and weight distribution just felt incohesive to me. Some Scoobies are not perfect by any stretch, but the steering feel in the Scooby seemed dramatically better. Even the ride of the RS4 was not really an improvement over the Scooby. It was a car I really expected to like. Huge thanks to the owner for letting me try it, but having tried the Scooby he basically agreed and may be looking for another car.
Old 07 October 2004, 10:17 PM
lord vader
Scooby Newbie

Nsx

Skyline

350z

Supra

What about 1 of these
Old 09 October 2004, 01:52 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

What about a BMW 330cd, just as much fun as a 330ci, constant 40+mpg and you can chip them up to 450lbs.ft of torque for traffic light fun. J
Old 09 October 2004, 08:21 PM
Sabre150
Scooby Regular

My shortlist was:-
New Boxster s
New WR1
2nd Hand GTR34
BMW 330CD
VX220 Turbo

Drove all of them. Boxster was probably the nicest car I have ever driven and was nearly chosen but just couldn't cope with the lack of space. The VX220 was a blast, but couldn't live with it on a daily basis (great 2nd or 3rd car though). BMW was nice but boring compared to the others. GTR34 was an impressive car to drive and had great presence on the road, but very expensive for a good 2nd hand one and quite a big car for narrow North Wales roads. TEsted a 265bhp STi and remember why I like my old prodrived classic wagon so much. So I ordered and bought a WR1 -- brilliant car -- not regretted it one bit, but if I could live with only 2 seats etc then I would have gone for the Porsche!!

Originally Posted by John STI 8
What about a BMW 330cd, just as much fun as a 330ci, constant 40+mpg and you can chip them up to 450lbs.ft of torque for traffic light fun. J
Old 11 October 2004, 07:54 AM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, popped into Days of Chelmsford on Saturday, 9am next saturday, test drive in new MY05 STI UK. When back at the dealership there all the memories of the RB5 came flooding back with avengance, think I know what I want now!!!!!!!!
Old 11 October 2004, 08:44 PM
robguide
Scooby Newbie

Weird, but I've been thinking along the same lines. Tried the BMW thing - 330D, 330i Sport but I just didn't get them, really disappointed. I have driven the M3 CSL and that is very impressive [launch control, 180mph etc.]. Tried the RX-8 - great use of space. no power but nimble just like the afformentioned Boxter which I agree is sweet. But can I do the space thing ? Best so far is the M12 - awesome. superb handling and much tail-out fun. Sideways round Arnage was something to remember. HOWEVER ! every time I go for a test drive in anything I hop back into the Scoob and wonder why I'm even considering anything else!
Old 18 October 2004, 02:04 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by crowtherg
Well, popped into Days of Chelmsford on Saturday, 9am next saturday, test drive in new MY05 STI UK. When back at the dealership there all the memories of the RB5 came flooding back with avengance, think I know what I want now!!!!!!!!
You just couldn't resist it could you Geoff ?
Old 18 October 2004, 02:09 PM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Well after a few circumstance changes it seems silly to drive a Volvo when I don't need to.

Looked at all the above over the last three weeks, and I have to say, that all round the 05 STI is so the best its untrue.

Just rying to convince myself that I can jsutify £25K on a car I drive for 6000 miles a year. When at the dealership on Saturday, I really had to fight to stop the old credit card coming out and an order being placed there and then.

Mind you, on reflection, think I will be making the call this week. Checked with the guy delivery dates, and should see one by the end of November, and at the end of the day what better birthday present could I buy myself.

Geoff
Old 18 October 2004, 04:19 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Question

Sounds good to me Geoff , what about a year old one instead though and save a bit of dosh ?Is the my05 that much different ?

Dave
Old 18 October 2004, 07:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

It won't hold its value. Nice, if you can afford it. Your choice.
Old 19 October 2004, 07:57 AM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Did think of an MY04, but there is something about having a car that no one else has had so you know exactly its history, and of course they have bought out quite a nice new colour (yes I know what a tart!!!!!)

May well have a look at one though. At the end of the day, a saving of 2 or 3 grand is well worth it.

Geoff.