Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW X5

Does anyone have a pic of a BMW X5?

Chris
Old 21 August 2004, 06:56 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Google, Other Marques, BMW website etc. etc.
Old 21 August 2004, 09:58 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go buddy!
Old 21 August 2004, 10:53 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mervil. That proves the point i was trying to make to the inlaws.

Chris
Old 21 August 2004, 11:08 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

And the point was??????
Old 21 August 2004, 11:37 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Well i was hoping for a pic of a black one with the tints cos the other half always says they look like a drug dealers car but the red one still kinda shows the point!

Chris
Old 22 August 2004, 12:03 AM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

http://media5.motorcities.com/01HLH552556042B.jpeg
Old 22 August 2004, 10:03 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come to Cheshire with a camera, no shortage of subjects material up here !
Old 22 August 2004, 04:26 PM
Scooby Newbie

Dont worry the schools go back soon you will soon see hundreds of them amoungst other pointless 4x4s causing grid lock......
Old 22 August 2004, 05:16 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Why are they pointless and why do 4x4's get bashed all the time ???

Slightly larger than a Subaru and if you've got a 3.0D more economic too.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:31 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Why are they pointless and why do 4x4's get bashed all the time ???

Slightly larger than a Subaru and if you've got a 3.0D more economic too.
They`re pointless in cities (where most of them appear to reside) and no self respecting farmer would consider a BMW X5 over a proper 4X4 like a Land Rover Defender.

Just look at the average X5 owner/driver and you`ll see what I mean, you really don`t need an X5, Cayenne, Range Rover etc etc to take Hillary and Tarquin to school.
Old 22 August 2004, 06:45 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Just look at the average X5 owner/driver and you`ll see what I mean, you really don`t need an X5, Cayenne, Range Rover etc etc to take Hillary and Tarquin to school.
hahhahahahah Jealousy creeps in once more.....

no digs intended, but take a look at a few baseball capped chav scooby drivers too. i know who i'd sooner have as neighbours,... LMFAO

BB
Old 22 August 2004, 09:37 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beemerboy
Not at all! I`d be jealous of an E55, M5, XJR etc, but an X5?

Nah! Sorry mate, I just don`t get the prestige SUV thing at all.
Old 22 August 2004, 11:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh I so wish I had more money than sense
Old 23 August 2004, 08:54 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Surely they're just as pointless in cities as 300bhp STi's too, or Audi S3's?
Old 23 August 2004, 10:07 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon S3
They`re pointless in cities (where most of them appear to reside) and no self respecting farmer would consider a BMW X5 over a proper 4X4 like a Land Rover Defender.

What a pathetic comment. Do all Scooby owners buy a STi to go rallying? I take it you have an S3. Why do you need a (semi) powerful 4wd car? Why not buy a Smart car?

Why are X5s pointless in cities? They are well built, safe, comfortable and give a sense of security as they are high up.

Yawn. Say something original rather than paraphrase a certain middle-aged journalist.
Old 23 August 2004, 10:15 AM
KeithyP
Scooby Regular

I have an X5, black too with tints Think its an awesome vehicle. I dont ever go off road with it, just as I dont go rallying in my sti 8.
Cant see where your coming from at all with the statement that they are pointless in cities. Would you rather we all drove smart cars?
If you ever get the chance to have a run in a X5, you should. I think you would be surprised at how well they actually drive. I enjoy it every bit as much as the subaru, different but still a great drive.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:11 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Picture the scene.........................

I have much more money then sense, so decide to but my wife an X5 to take Hilary and Tarquin to school. Turns out she didin't like the colour so I bought her another one in red like the one pictured above. The original Black one I bought now just site on the road taking up valuable parking space, but hey I'm loaded so it has road tax.

Now the school is only 500 yards away along the road, but because the wife has just had her hair done she takes the X5. Turns out that this particular morning your wife is travelling in the opposite direction, she still has a hangover from all the Tennants Super she was drinking last night. This causes her to swerve across the road right into the path of my wifes X5...................

outcome 1: all of the above is true, my wife and kids are fine as they are in a nice big safe 4x4.

outcome 2: none of the above is true and my wife actually drives a mini......she and my kids are now dead........all because you and a middle aged motoring journalist mananged to ban all 4x4 from the school run.

Moral of the story: When it comes to your wife and kids, nothing is more important than their saftey. If it means clogging up the road for 10 mins every morning, so be it.
I would much rather peoples energy was spent moaning about drivers without a license, tax, mot, insurance, pissed up, taking drugs, bald tyres, bad brakes, poor eyesight......once you sorted these drivers, then you can have a pop at the 4x4 school run drivers.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:34 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skittles
Why are X5s pointless in cities? They are well built, safe, comfortable and give a sense of security as they are high up.
Yawn. Say something original rather than paraphrase a certain middle-aged journalist.
Can you explain how a higher than average CoG, inferior braking ability and large frontal area is safer than normal sized vehicles? They may give the driver a feeling of greater invulnerability but that doesn't translate into greater safety which is what I think drivers of these vehicles mistake it for.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:35 AM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Now the school is only 500 yards away along the road, but because the wife has just had her hair done she takes the X5. Turns out that this particular morning your wife is travelling in the opposite direction, she still has a hangover from all the Tennants Super she was drinking last night. This causes her to swerve across the road right into the path of my wifes X5...................

outcome 1: all of the above is true, my wife and kids are fine as they are in a nice big safe 4x4.

outcome 2: none of the above is true and my wife actually drives a mini......she and my kids are now dead........all because you and a middle aged motoring journalist mananged to ban all 4x4 from the school run.

Moral of the story: When it comes to your wife and kids, nothing is more important than their saftey. If it means clogging up the road for 10 mins every morning, so be it.
A bit extreme but i see your point. Would much rather my missus had a crash in a 4x4 than a 5 year old fiesta or corsa etc.

I would much rather peoples energy was spent moaning about drivers without a license, tax, mot, insurance, pissed up, taking drugs, bald tyres, bad brakes, poor eyesight......once you sorted these drivers, then you can have a pop at the 4x4 school run drivers.
Totally agree.

The majority of X5's sold are the 3.0D anyway so are therefore more economical than a lot of petrol cars on the road. I dont see what the hang up is if said parent wants to take their child to school in an X5 i see no reason to moan, it takes up the same amount of road and parking space as a scooby or mondeo etc.

Just because they are seen as an expensive fashion 4x4 instead of a true off road 4x4 like the landie's they get a lot of flack. If you got the money you got to spend it somewhere, we all have our money sinks and for some people this is cars, some like fast cars and some like 4x4s.

each to their own.

Mark
Old 23 August 2004, 11:48 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Can you explain how a higher than average CoG, inferior braking ability and large frontal area is safer than normal sized vehicles?.
As I said it gives a SENSE of security. I have a 996 C4 and my Mrs hates driving it - it is low and she feels uneasy driving it. Sit higher up and its less intimidating. It is perception.

Regarding the higher CoG - most people don't go hooning it around corners and a higher CoG is largely irrelevant. That said, an X5 handles better than most saloon cars, including braking ability. I am speaking from experience - I had an X5 for a month and I was deeply impressed with its abilities.

They may give the driver a feeling of greater invulnerability but that doesn't translate into greater safety which is what I think drivers of these vehicles mistake it for.

I disagree. As Hail Hail points out, I'd much rather be in an accident in a 2-tonne X5 than most other cars on the road.

On a broader note regarding all this rubbish about X5s on school runs: what exactly is the problem? If people were not in an X5 they would be in something else, so whats the bother?

PS I don't own an X5, so I am being objective.
Old 23 August 2004, 12:42 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 225
Dont worry the schools go back soon you will soon see hundreds of them amoungst other pointless 4x4s causing grid lock......

Can you explain how a higher than average CoG, inferior braking ability and large frontal area is safer than normal sized vehicles? They may give the driver a feeling of greater invulnerability but that doesn't translate into greater safety which is what I think drivers of these vehicles mistake it for.
And so speak those who listen to hype and probably have never driven an SUV let alone owned one for a decent period of time

225 - whats that, a TT driver?
S3 - wow, thats useful.....

Like for like, an SUV takes up no greater road space than a comparable saloon or hatch.

Its not the vehicles that are the problem, its the attitude of those that feel the need to drive the 200 yards to school that needs addressed.

For everyday use, I'd have an SUV every time.

D
Old 23 August 2004, 12:51 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Its not the vehicles that are the problem, its the attitude of those that feel the need to drive the 200 yards to school that needs addressed.
I don't get this. Are you proposing a legal minimum distance that you must drive a car before you are allowed to take it out the garage?

If I want to buy a car, tax it, insure it etc and want to use it to drive 200 yards to drop my kids off at school, really what is the issue?
Old 23 August 2004, 12:52 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

As I said it gives a SENSE of security. I have a 996 C4 and my Mrs hates driving it - it is low and she feels uneasy driving it. Sit higher up and its less intimidating. It is perception.
Perception and sense of security doesn't neccessarily translate into greater safety and I guess what bugs people about too many drivers of these vehicles is that:

a) they obviously don't need a 4x4, so they've bought it either because they have bought into the image and would like to portray themselves as outdoor action types. If not, then why not buy a people carrier.

b) they take up more space than is neccessary, particularly in towns and cities which will get up the noses of other road users.

Regarding the higher CoG - most people don't go hooning it around corners and a higher CoG is largely irrelevant. That said, an X5 handles better than most saloon cars, including braking ability. I am speaking from experience - I had an X5 for a month and I was deeply impressed with its abilities..
I disagree that an X5 handles better than most saloon cars and it certainly won't outbreak them. As for CoG, you try making an evasive manouevre at speed and then tell me it is irrelevant. At the end of the day, the vast majority of these vehicles are not fuel efficient, take up more than space than is needed and possibly are safer in accidents although their NCAP ratings suggest otherwise.

Perhaps it's the whole FU attitude of too many owners that causese the problems.
Old 23 August 2004, 12:58 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Very true. They are no safer for the passengers & a great deal more dangerous for pedestrians.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:20 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Perception and sense of security doesn't neccessarily translate into greater safety and I guess what bugs people about too many drivers of these vehicles is that:

a) they obviously don't need a 4x4, so they've bought it either because they have bought into the image and would like to portray themselves as outdoor action types. If not, then why not buy a people carrier.

b) they take up more space than is neccessary, particularly in towns and cities which will get up the noses of other road users.

I disagree that an X5 handles better than most saloon cars and it certainly won't outbreak them. As for CoG, you try making an evasive manouevre at speed and then tell me it is irrelevant. At the end of the day, the vast majority of these vehicles are not fuel efficient, take up more than space than is needed and possibly are safer in accidents although their NCAP ratings suggest otherwise.

Perhaps it's the whole FU attitude of too many owners that causese the problems.

Why would this type of car bug anyone more than say any overpowered car, it just looks like BMW envy from a neutral position that I'm in. How do you know they buy into the outdoor lifstyle/image or whatever, perhaps like 90% of the population they buy a car based on the name and how it looks. Its just as valid a reason as buying into the Subaru image, we don't live in a Stalinist state so people have freedom of choice.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:31 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
Why would this type of car bug anyone more than say any overpowered car, it just looks like BMW envy from a neutral position that I'm in. How do you know they buy into the outdoor lifstyle/image or whatever, perhaps like 90% of the population they buy a car based on the name and how it looks. Its just as valid a reason as buying into the Subaru image, we don't live in a Stalinist state so people have freedom of choice.
Given that my wife drives a Z4, you'd be incorrect in your assumption. I'm just trying to explain why there is a backlash towards these type of vehicles and all I get in defence of them, is that they are 'safe' which I disagree with.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:34 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

I disagree that an X5 handles better than most saloon cars and it certainly won't outbreak them.
Have you driven one? I'm not asking so I can say "if not, you can't comment", more that when I drove one for a month I got to appreciate why people get X5s,RRs and Cayennes.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:41 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Drive an X5 3.0D for a week in the city then drive a saloon car for a week and you will understand why they are so popular.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:45 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Yes, I have. The dealer where I bought my wife's car had the same debate with me and offered a test drive to try and convince me that I was wrong. For a pseudo 4x4 it's not a bad car and had a reasonable amount of grunt and whilst the handling was impressive for such a large car, no way was it comparable to a decent saloon and it certainly wouldn't stop any quicker. I was disappointed at the lack of room but the interior was just about up to the usual BMW standards so should last the test of time.

I also have a Series III Landy which I use for trialling and green laning which is a brilliant car off road but crap on road so I can appreciate the advances that modern 4x4 manufacturers have made, however, the most often cited reason for buying one (by owners) is safety and it will take a hell of a lot more evidence and convincing to prove to me that they are safer than their saloon equivalents.

Quick Reply: BMW X5