Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Squealing Fan Belt on Golf GTi

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2004, 10:38 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing Fan Belt on Golf GTi

Ok, so not really knowing anything about cars, my fan belt squeals when it rains!! Gets worse when the windscreen wipers and lights are on and even worse if the stereo is on!! I've had the belt tightened up but it's still doing it. Someone said that the alternator may not be a high enough ampage to deal with it all. Could that be a possibility or utter tosh?! Was thinking of just fitting a new fan belt first and seeing if that will fix the problem before splashing out on a new alternator. Advice from people 'in the know' would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12 August 2004, 10:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

pendant....you don't have a fan belt /pendant

It could be your alternator belt is on it's way out - check the driven surface for hardness and cracking. If it's been tightened, can always tighten it a bit more.

Could be some oil or grease has got onto the pulleys.

The alternator is designed to take the load that would be taken by the standard car electrics, there is no way they could cause it to overload. Unless you have 5000watts of ICE in the boot or have a non-standard alternator. So it just a load of tosh

Other possibility is either the alternator, PAS pump, A/c compressor (if fitted) or idler pulleys maybe seizing up, in which case you would check them out upon replacing/inspecting the belt.

Final possibility could be your battery is on its way out and putting more strain on the alternator - still, the belt shouldn't slip.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 August 2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:17 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

a new belt will fix it but from experience(I've had 5 GTi's) your alternator or waterpump will probably go soon. I'm not sure if its been due to original overtightening of the old belt but when I had this problem something else always went within a few months of changing the belt. Check your fluid levels in the radiator overflow to see if its dropped(when its cold only). If it has gone down then your waterpump is going(it will be leaking down there). If the belt is slipping then the alternator is not giving out its full output so that is why you'll see an electrical drain.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 13 August 2004, 11:10 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Could be bearings in the alternator that are squealing and not a slipping belt?
Old 13 August 2004, 11:17 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

I'd replace both alternator and PAS belt (if it has PAS in which case you need to take off said belt anyway to get to alternator belt)

Check pulleys for damage, contamination and that the are not bent.

PAS pumps and water pumps are a common problem with similar symptoms on these cars and worth checking out.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:06 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

new belt is easiest and cheapest to test. You'll need a new belt with a new alternator anyway. Get the belt and see how it goes.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:23 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Common problem on a mk2 Golf. On mine the belt was old and cracked, so I changed it and the squealing went away!
Old 14 August 2004, 04:05 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

Ta! Got the belt changed and looks to have solved the prob!