EVO V vesus IMPREZA PPP

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2004, 02:09 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO V vesus IMPREZA PPP

Evo V versus Subaru Impreza turbo PPP

It’s been a while now since I went over to the dark side! So here goes my feeble attempt at trying to quantify the differences. Firstly the Evo has much shorter gearing than the Scoob, so it immediately feels more responsive. I remember in the Scoob having to wait a while until the turbo spooled up, no such wait in the Evo, it’s instantaneous, whatever gear your in from virtually any rev position the pull is there straight away, and what a pull! I’ve never driven a 280bhp Scoob with Jap gearing so in all fairness I really can’t compare, but from what I had to what I’ve got the Evo wins every time.
The red line in the Evo is the same as the Scoob 7k, in reality the limiter doesn’t come in until about 8k (not that I’ve been there!) and it’s so smooth and vibration free. Also the service items are so much more accessible. I changed the plugs, air filter, oil filter, and oil, without having to jack the car up and in about ½ hour! So in conclusion I think the Evo has it on the engine side. (Flat four burble apart!) Handling/road holding. My scoob had prodrive lowered suspension and 18” wheels so it was quite firm, The evo, bloody hell it’s firm and then some! When I took a mate out for a ride he said “ wow I’ve never known what running over a *** packet felt like! Now I do” get the idea? But this active yaw control, it is simply awesome, whatever line you decide to take, that’s the line the car sticks to. In the scoob understeer was quite pronounced especially in the wet, whereas the evo adopts a very neutral position and the turn in is so precise whatever the road or weather conditions. Without a doubt on normal roads it would be a very foolish driver who would try to find the Evo’s limits? So again from what I had to what I’ve got then the Scoob comes in second place again. Looks, personally this is purely a matter of opinion, whilst the classic scoob shape is the best scoob shape, IMHO! And the evo V/V1 is the best evo shape, again IMHO; on the whole I score these two even. Interior, we all know scoobs will never win any competitions for interiors! Well the same applies to the evo! In fact as the Recaro’s in the evo can’t be adjusted for height! Then the scoob must take full points for this round.
All the rest i.e. insurance costs, fuel costs, (apart from the stupidly small tank!) tyres, brakes, service items, will probably be about the same on both cars. So the big question, Evo V or Impreza? Well after only a short period of ownership I can confidently say that I much prefer the Evo to the Scoob, not least for the ability to be more hands on with the greasy bits. But mostly for the huge grin it puts on my face every time my right foot hits the carpet.

dave

Please feel free to comment! but please remember this is purely MY opinion.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Glad your enjoying the new motor...Some of your views do echo many car jounalists position but they still favour the Impreza as an everday car.

You're also comparing a UK car with a JDM car which are miles apart anyway

Whatever anybody says, you gone from a UK scoob to a EVO V and you perfer the EVO...nobody can argue with that.

Happy motoring.

Bob
Old 05 August 2004, 02:48 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stick some eibachs on the evo much better ride
Old 05 August 2004, 06:29 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

I changed the plugs, air filter, oil filter, and oil, without having to jack the car up and in about ½ hour!
Tis true that the flat four motor does add some headaches to changing the plugs and stuff! Sounds like you do your own servicing - do you service the AYC unit yourself?
Old 05 August 2004, 07:50 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I wasn't going to, but found some info today and it doesn't seem that difficult. Only it needs to be on a wheel free ramp to make life easier, so I will have a word with a good friend who has two! (garage owner) and take it from there. The car is going in to a ralliart dealer for the AYC ecu to be changed under a recall, so this time they can do all the transmission levels as well as the AYC this time. And as I barley do 4k a year, it will be at least 12 months till it needs doing again. As an aside the guy whom I got the info re:- changing the fluid says in Jamaica (where he lives) they only change the fluid when the diff starts squawking, or it needs to stripped down for whatever! reason, as the manual for EVO'S doesn't give a mileage when it should be changed!! (probably another way of getting ££££££ out of us daft brits eh??)
dave
Old 06 August 2004, 12:58 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

Misty

Some interesting reading.

I'm lucky enough to own an WRX STi Type R and also have access to my dads EVO5. In this case the shoe is on the other foot. The gear ratios on the typeR are shorter than the EVo so the Type R feels quicker still and is to a point!!

With regards to handling a must agree that the AYC is ******* brilliant especially for every day instances, but the DCCD on the Type R makes for a totally different drive to the standard Scoobs. I tend to just leave the DCCD on open, so more drive is to the rear, but you still have to try to get the back end to move anywhere.

Looks wise, because the typeR is 2 Door and has all the kit on it a feel it just edges it. (but if you ask my dad his EVO looks better !!) The Evo does look more aggressive though!!

With us both using the cars for every day use, I have found that the Impreza has given us the least running costs, and this includes new clutches in both cars!

Echo again what you are saying about interiors, both are not the best, the Type R does have the limited edition 555 seats that helps it cause a bit but I rate both interiors as poor!

Again these are just my opinions but its interesting to see other peoples views.

At the end of the day both cars are both desireable and quick and if someone offered me a drive in either I would snap their hands off!!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 06 August 2004, 02:23 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

I've got an STi type r and an evo 5

Always drive the evo
Old 06 August 2004, 02:49 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

J4CK50N. Fair comment mate, as I said at the beginning of the thread It is purely my own opinion of my EVO V against my previous IMPREZA PPP. I still think Scoobs are good motors and without doubt I will own another one in the not to distant future!!
dave