Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

No luck selling Rangie via Exch & Mart

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2004, 12:10 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No luck selling Rangie via Exch & Mart

Its been in 3 weeks with not a phone call - its priced reasonably (some similar age/spec are more expensive), although I note that prices in Autotrader tend to be a bit lower.

Now when I was buying a Range Rover I saw and crawled under 12 before I bought mine - all part of the research... Arent people researching ???

Is it just a bad time to sell a 4x4 or something as I'm a little puzzled? Its a minter with new tax,mot,tyres,service; FLRSH and below av miles and everything works (rare )

D
Old 02 August 2004, 12:46 AM
mike26
Scooby Newbie

how old is it and is it manual or auto? how much? also what spec, and have you seen shrek 2?
Old 02 August 2004, 01:03 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't have thought Exchange & Mart would be the best place.....??

Maybe try Autotrader? Sold 2 cars using just them in the last year and both went via the website (£15 for 2 weeks)

Plus the website is National so a fair old audience
Old 02 August 2004, 10:19 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post Diesel, Price.........

If there are cheaper cars out there, regardless of the source people are going to view them first. If one of them are any good they'll buy them and yours will not get a look in.

You have to understand there are three prices all buyers and sellers have in mind. Ask, Like and Take. They are all fairly obvious, you've advertised your car at the asking price, but you'd still be really happy getting a slightly lower price I'll bet, you just put a bit more on to the asking price, just to give you some bargaining space. But at the end of the day you also have the fall back price you'll take for the car.

Buyers are exactly the same, they all have a price they'd want to pay for the car, but would be equally happy to pay a bit more and still be very happy with the deal, and if it meant spending a little more to get that special car they'd even pay a third higher price I'll bet.

Far too many private sellers put an unrealistic asking price for a car, its a fact. It happens for a variety of reasons, but they effectively price themselves out of a sale right at the start. Go back and have a look at the prices of the other vehicles for sale, and ignoring the my car has to better than their's argument, how do you justify the higher price?

If you want to sell the car, lower the price to a similar level to the others being advertised. If you are confident your car is a good'un it well sell quickly, and for a good price as you can use your car's good condition to counter any lower bids. But before worrying about people haggling on the price you have to attract them to come view the car in the first place, and you can only do that on price in the first instance.
Old 02 August 2004, 01:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Good advice Reffro, thanks. I could let it go for £10,250 at a pinch, if I siphon the petrol out, but If I put it in for £10,250 then I'll end up with 9 something which isnt on!

Originally Posted by mike26
how old is it and is it manual or auto? how much? also what spec, and have you seen shrek 2?
Its a Dec 96, Auto, top of the range 4.6, 77k, FLRSH, Shrek loving mountain climbing luxo machine

[Off to WHSmith for a proper price guide, rather than winging it via comparing it to other ads...]
Old 06 August 2004, 10:32 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

only sold 1 car at a price I was happy with, we expect to much back and to pay too little out , especially on here may I add
Old 07 August 2004, 07:27 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

My Rangie took ages to sell as well, although it was an '88 classic. Snapped up the first offer eventually, at a price slightly less than I was anticipating. That said, had I waited any longer, I'd have had to pay out more on insurance etc. As it was, I barely got anything back off the insurance company, as I'd cancelled the contract a few months in.

I imagine you've had all the usual crap from people in distant lands, wanting to write you cheques for twice the car's value, as they have 'clients' who owe them money etc....
Don't do it

Good luck with the sale
Old 07 August 2004, 07:35 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rising interest rates, people worried about petrol prices not really a good to try to be shifting. **** it on ebay. only 6.80 for an advert.
Old 07 August 2004, 11:52 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Quick look on Parkers for a price guide won't make you happy but could explain lack of calls.

Land Rover Range Rover
4.6 HSE 4d Auto 1996/N
Average mileage: 80,000 miles
Cost New ('96) £ 45725
Dealer Retail £ 10060
Private Good £ 8865
Private Poor £ 5365
Part Exchange £ 6965

So you'd price at just over £9k and take the 1st offer over £8,500. That's assuming the price guide is right and they're usually not that far off. No harm in putting it up at £10,250 for a while and see the interest although I'll bet a lot of people looking at cars like yours probably do a search putting a top limit of £10k but you never know! Good luck.
Old 08 August 2004, 08:59 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Could be that it costs 3.70 to travel about ten miles in a Range Rover and its getting on and therefore isnt flash enough for the ones who can afford it but hasnt got cheap enough for the unstable characters that have really old Range Rovers ?

Good luck with it anyway.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:48 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Jacko! 'Unstable Characters' indeed how dare you - we are country gentlemen at heart LOL

Its on a P plate and that in Dec too! if it was born a month later it should fetch 10,650 private. Anyway I'll drop the price again as I think there is truth in that mass over-optimisim of us sellers thing! D
Old 13 August 2004, 08:42 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by J4CKO
....but hasnt got cheap enough for the unstable characters that have really old Range Rovers....
I didn't know it'd make me unstable... It was still marginally younger than I was though, so maybe doesn't count as being 'old'....
Old 14 August 2004, 02:27 PM
Stax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
**** it on ebay. only 6.80 for an advert.
I'd go with that. Just sold my pug via an advert on Ebay. Didn't sell through the bid system, but someone saw it and liked it enough to see it and offer me some cash. You can set it up so it closes any time you like, and you can cover yourself by stating that in the listing. The wife's vitara has been on auto trader for a week (online) and in the magazine for a couple of days and no interest at all. Think it'll be going on ebay next.
Old 14 August 2004, 09:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

LOL !

No offence meant but have you seen some of the guys that drive F reg Vogue Rangies, they are either Lords, geezers (mainly nowadays to be seen in Pajeros) or nutcases, not to mention the 'lets off road' brigade with their winches and big tyres.
Old 15 August 2004, 11:41 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by J4CKO
No offence meant but have you seen some of the guys that drive F reg Vogue Rangies, they are either Lords, geezers (mainly nowadays to be seen in Pajeros) or nutcases, not to mention the 'lets off road' brigade with their winches and big tyres.
Very true

Mine was E reg though, so I'm none of those.....
Might fall into the 'nutcase' category though
Old 15 August 2004, 12:19 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

FWIW, round here (rural Herefordshire), 4x4 are getting very difficult to shift, due to thefts-to-order Thus also making it *almost* impossible to insure them

Highly desirable items these day Might be worth mentioning any security you've put on it etc......

Good luck with a sale though

Dan
Old 15 August 2004, 10:16 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Bought our 97 p plate 4.6hse off the Range Rover dealers forecourt for 32k in 1999, sold 12 months later for 19k which was the price we could get ANYWHERE. Most would not go even 15k.

The £1000 a service wound me up (even tho still in warranty and being told they were £300 it never came out less than a grand!) and the 15.5 average mpg isnt the best advert..... Did a trip in 99 from Gatwick airport to derby, cost me £85 fuel one way. Probably even more expensive now with price of petrol

If you want to sell it, be prepared to drop..... lots.

Strange thing is i loved to drive it and would have another one.... Just so long as i had a company fuel card and someone was paying the servicing bills!