Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Take a look at this Mini Cooper S Quote

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2004, 10:41 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Take a look at this Mini Cooper S Quote

OK after testing various cars, girlfriend has decided the go for a Mini Cooper S. Heres the quote:

Now we've got one or two questions about this and it would be great if someone could offer some advice

The Chili Pack. Really don't want it. We're more than happy with the 16inch alloys, infact prefer the better handling and quicker (slight) acceleration they will supply. The rest of it? Just don't need it. Infact would rather spend the money on other extras....
The salesman however made a big deal about how the Chili pack sooooo increases and 'protects' the after-sale value of the car. "It's what 2nd hand buyers look for" Is this true or a load of.... I expect the latter but comments would be appreciated.

The CD player option (not in the Chili Pack)
The option is neither cheap nor very good. For the same amount of money you could go to a rip off merchant like Halfords and get twice as good a unit for the same amount. The salesman pointed out that any aftermarket stereo system would void the warranty. Ye Gods. That one amazed me. Is this true?

For people who already own a Cooper S...
Anything I should know? Stuff you wished you'd known before purchase etc etc? Thanks very much for any help.
Old 31 July 2004, 10:46 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

So as standard a £15,000 hot hatch doesn't come with air con, interior lights or a leather steering wheel?

Darren
Old 31 July 2004, 10:53 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I think sales man has a point. Look through the ad's and you'll find the vast majority of Cooper S' s have the chilli pack. You will find it harder to sell yours without air-con in particular but also without leather steering wheel, 17's etc it will look less sporty. Most people that buy a Cooper S IMHO want it to look good and be a comfortable every day runner - they won't really give a hoot about power to weight ratio etc. Chilli pack is not bad value, especially if you think I paid an extra grand just to add manual air-con alone to my 00 scoob. But you know its your car, you're going to be driving it, just put on what you want.

Re stereo: It may be an integrated system not just a drop in a slot job, check this first. Either way the distinctive interior is another reason most buyers are attracted to the Mini - probably won't want an aftermarket stereo which doesn't match spoiling the aesthetics.

Last edited by Boost II; 31 July 2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 31 July 2004, 10:59 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Head over to the Mini2.com Cooper S forum

FWIW, I think most people buying a Cooper S second hand would expect to see the items in Chili pack I'm afraid The CD player warranty thing sounds like complete bollox IMHO!
Old 31 July 2004, 11:21 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

We went for the Chilli pack on my wife's Cooper S, I'd say it was worth it. Can't live without air con these days. The second hand market expects it as well.
Old 31 July 2004, 11:35 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by class_A
Head over to the Mini2.com Cooper S forum

FWIW, I think most people buying a Cooper S second hand would expect to see the items in Chili pack I'm afraid The CD player warranty thing sounds like complete bollox IMHO!
Thanks for the link, having a look right now.
So the opinion so far is that the Chilli pack is a must? Mmmm Just wish they could be a little flexible and offer options within the Chilli pack.
Old 31 July 2004, 12:58 PM
bugeyes
Scooby Regular

I had a Cooper S without the Chili pack or air-con. Really struggled to sell it - part-ex'd in the end. Everyone wants air-con and most the Chili pack. Lots of people think that the Chili pack equipment is standard as 95% of S's have it.
So my advice is have the pack or at least air-con.
As for the stereo, I have to agree with Boost II.
As mentioned, lots of info on http://www.mini2.com/forum/
Stephen
Old 31 July 2004, 05:54 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

On my MCS I got sport steering wheel, air-con, trip comp, interior lights / storage compartment, and cd boost as individual options (and also sat-nav) because I didn't want Chilli (the massively heavy 17s make a huge diff to performance, and standard lights on a Mini are fine don't need xenons). At the end sat-nav excluded I paid a bit less then chilli for all the other options, and didn't have to put up with the 17s. Do the maths
Old 31 July 2004, 11:39 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Re: Stereo - My mate's onto his second Mini Cooper S (this one's the Works version though) and he bought Sony CD player and upgraded speakers + sub/amp for his first one and he's now had them fitted to his new one, and knowing him he definately wouldn't have done this if it affects the warranty in any way. As for spoiling the look of the interior it's not like it's hard to change the head unit back when you come to sell
Old 01 August 2004, 12:19 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cheddar bob
Re: Stereo - My mate's onto his second Mini Cooper S (this one's the Works version though) and he bought Sony CD player and upgraded speakers + sub/amp for his first one and he's now had them fitted to his new one, and knowing him he definately wouldn't have done this if it affects the warranty in any way. As for spoiling the look of the interior it's not like it's hard to change the head unit back when you come to sell
Really. If you get a chance can you ask him about that? Just to comfirm it?
Thanks.
Old 01 August 2004, 02:41 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I think it's fair to say that hardly anyone would look at a car without air con any more, especally if most other owners have had it put on theirs.

If u have it on your current car why not go out for a drive this afternoon without it on, I know i couldn't do it anymore!!!

I think i may have misread something tho, it looked like she was about to spend over 17 grand on a MINI...
Old 01 August 2004, 02:57 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cheddar bob
. As for spoiling the look of the interior it's not like it's hard to change the head unit back when you come to sell
Yes, but then you will be back trying to sell on a £17k car in a few years that only has a cassette deck - good luck! Doub't there will be many people that want it when there are so many well spec'ed up Cooper S's out there.
Old 01 August 2004, 07:11 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Don't forget Chilli pack also adds the essential xenon's.
Old 01 August 2004, 07:27 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost II
Yes, but then you will be back trying to sell on a £17k car in a few years that only has a cassette deck - good luck! Doub't there will be many people that want it when there are so many well spec'ed up Cooper S's out there.
My point was if your worried about the new potential owner not being attracted to changing the mini's distinctive interior/aesthetics ie head unit then it's not hard to put the original back in

Originally Posted by Boost II
Re stereo: It may be an integrated system not just a drop in a slot job, check this first. Either way the distinctive interior is another reason most buyers are attracted to the Mini - probably won't want an aftermarket stereo which doesn't match spoiling the aesthetics.
Old 01 August 2004, 07:42 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Really. If you get a chance can you ask him about that? Just to comfirm it?
Thanks.
Have just spoke to him and the first head unit he bought from & had fitted at a local aftermarket sound/security shop THROUGH the Mini dealers. And the sales/service departments knew about this and definately didn't mentioned any warranty problems, hence he did the same with his new Cooper S Works, so the salesman's talking bo**ocks.

Also he said you should definately get the Chilli pack
Old 01 August 2004, 07:43 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Buy a Civic Type R
Old 01 August 2004, 10:05 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Buy a Civic Type R
You think I didn't suggest it?
Old 03 August 2004, 01:30 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

If the stereo will have no impact on the warranty, you should report the salesman to the dealer principal, the lying toad!!!

Trouble is, some people will believe his "stereo story" and upgrade automatically, which just aint on!!