Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Buying M3 SMG - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 01:26 PM
R333TER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying M3 SMG - Advice

Have just sold my STi and top of my list as a replacement is a 2003/2003 BMW M3 with SMG. I'm a little concerned about a possible imminent new M3 model and the impact this will have on the value of the current M3.

I am aware that the 3 series is bing updated next year but cannot find any information on the M3 update. My stealer tells me that the new M3 will follow around 2-3 years later? Based on history, this sounds about right? The latest 3 series was released in 1998 and the M3 in 2001, therefore the 3 years later sounds about right BUT would like to be a little more sure.

Have unfortunately taken the hit on cars before when they went through model changes and the finaincial impact can be pretty nasty!!! Normal depreciation I can livce with, overnight loss of thousands I feel a little more difficult to take.

Anyone know any more information on this? Or any other advice about my choice?
Old 12 July 2004, 02:32 PM
Blitz8888
Scooby Regular

They won't b a new M3 anymore , it will b called the M4. I dont think you would loose much if u r getting 1 now, but like you said it probably another 2 yrs b4 it will come out. I was tempted 2 buy 1 but then opted 4 the oil burner instead (330 coupe diesel sport). Awesome torque tho!! but not as fast my sti7 prodrive but its a different kind of driving.
Old 12 July 2004, 05:41 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great cars

Prices have settled down a bit now, when I looked at an E36 M3 evo cab, In 2001 the prices were still quite high, the E46 shape had been out for a few years, I had a 98 328 which I traded for a new 330 cab and ordered a M3SMG2Cab at the same time (they still weren't available but the M3 coupe had been launched), I can't remmber the price of the E46 cab I lookedta but I am fairly sure it was close to the £35k the 330 cost.

I loved the M3

info on m3's at www.bm3w.co.uk
Old 12 July 2004, 06:15 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

I dont rate the SMG box but if its better for re sale it may be worth it

Change down is lovely but the change up is like hitting fuel cut on a scoob.

Hello windscreen Ouch!!!!
Old 12 July 2004, 08:18 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Can't see the resale value dropping too much to be honest. Only the usual. Cars like the M3 hold their value even when new models come out. If your buying second hand anyway I wouldn't worry about it, only lose loads on new cars, somebody else will have already taken the hit. SMG gearbox is alright, can be used as an auto if your feeling lazy, and the paddle shift is novel but not amazing. Launch mode is quite fun aswell.Lovely cars, try and find one with sat nav, altho why they include a tape player with it is beyond me, see if you can get one with the minidisc player aswell. Is there anything in particular you want to know?
Mmmmm, is that price £35K for the E46 M3 cab? They cost a lot more than that, the one we got cost £52K.
Old 13 July 2004, 09:11 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My brother has an M3 cab with smg and ive been lucky enough to drive it, serious bit of kit, the smg takes a bit of getting used to but is great fun, he paid over £52000!!! new he dropped about £16000 to £17000, but thats new cars for you, hes just had the smg software updated and the ecu remapped buy Bmw to latest spec and he said it has made a huge difference to car, buy one you will love it!.
Old 13 July 2004, 10:46 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

As an ex-E46 M3 SMG cab owner, I'd say the following:

1. Fantastic car and the SMG box really makes it. It is one of the best cars I have owned. In quite a few ways I prefer it to my 996... not least that screaming exhaust note, SMG and that engine!

2. These cars are depreciating reasonably quickly now. SO MANY E46s have been sold, tonnes on the market. Try and avoid buying a new one. 1-2 years old with extended warranty (3 years from new) would be the best bet.

3. Someone mentioned earlier that cars like the M3 will hold their value when new models come out. I disagree - look at the state of the E36 M3 market as an indication of what will happen when the new M3 comes out - moreover there are LOADS more E46 M3s on the market so expect the step change in prices to be worse. Also ever second generation BMW make a revolutionary changes to their cars... last one was 'evolutionary' so furtehr expect a big price drop from new. For example, the next M3 looks tipped to be a V8 rather than the legendary straight 6. For teh step change also look at the difference in the new M5.

4. The next M3 is now tipped to be called M3 according to the press. It had been previously stated that it would be an M4. Who knows...
Old 13 July 2004, 10:00 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Any of you that have or have had the E46 M3 Cab, did you find that it was really noisey when the roof was up? By that I mean lots of creaking and rattles? The one we've got at work is really annoying when the roof is up, no probs at all when the roofs down, but it's so creaky and ratterly when it's up. Just wondered what other owners thought, it's never been the same since it was crashed which is what we think is the reason for the problem.
Old 14 July 2004, 09:02 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Talking

nature of the beast, my brothers does creak a bit, its got no roof!!!
Old 14 July 2004, 09:15 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

One small, cheap quick fix for 99% of these noises. BMW sell rubber lubricant for this purpose - costs £5.70, called Gummi-something and you rub ot over the seals and window tips onece every couple of months.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:54 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skittles
One small, cheap quick fix for 99% of these noises. BMW sell rubber lubricant for this purpose - costs £5.70, called Gummi-something and you rub ot over the seals and window tips onece every couple of months.
Spot on, really works.

Sometimes the hood can rattle at the back if all the fixtures are not tight.
Old 14 July 2004, 08:45 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mmmmm
Spot on, really works.

Sometimes the hood can rattle at the back if all the fixtures are not tight.
Might be the problem, will get them to check all the fixings next time it's serviced. Don't think it liked being crashed into a porsche boxster. Hasn't quite been the same since.
Old 15 July 2004, 09:56 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

All the creaks on my one were the rubber seals aginst the glass. Agree it was bloody anoying.