Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Roll Cages (Custom Cages or Safety Devices)

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 04:00 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Roll Cages (Custom Cages or Safety Devices)

Has anybody had a welded in cage fitted to their scooby/evo either for group N or the road by any of the companies above? Was toying with the idea of getting it done in the evo but really dont fancy stripping the car just in case it starts making terrible sqeeky noises when its all back in minus the back seats. Anyones experiences/advice would be great.

Jono
Ps, would this have any affect on insurance bearing in mind i will be getting all the saftey harnesses/padding etc
Old 02 July 2004, 06:12 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance companies don't like Cages, Safety devices are one of the industry leaders, so they must know their stuff!!
Old 02 July 2004, 08:14 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

got a custom cages one in mine, not fitted by them but a top cage!
Old 03 July 2004, 12:10 AM
LMRnav2
Scooby Regular

Theres a lot of companies out there that claim they can fit weld in cages....but the sad reality is that can't! The worst cages out there are OMP, they don't fit well. SD have a good reputation and are your best bet.

Fitting a roll cage PROPERLY requires removal of all seats and carpets, chip away the sound deadening so mounting plates can be welded to the floor. They should be 3mm thick. If used for competition, there is a specified minimum area the plate size should be...this mimimum should be exceeded. The rear backstays dont need plates, just bolt straight to the wheel arches.

At the end of the day it is there to save your life if you roll...the last thing you want is the roll cage pushing through the floor because you went to a bloke round the corner who waas cheaper than a guy who would do a proper job.
Old 03 July 2004, 08:43 AM
J4MES
Scooby Regular

There has also been a few cases on rallies where Evo's have failed scrutineering because the cage tubing wasn't welded all the way round on the tubes that are close to the roof.

If it is a weld in cage, you will need to either cut a hole in the floor to drop the cage through, or take the roof off in order to weld all the way round the tubes up by the roof.

We have used, and tested(!), a simple Safety Devices six point bolt in cage. The most basic cage available and it stood up fine wehn we bounced the car down the stage on its roof a few times.

A friend of mine has a Custom Cages rollcage in his Nova and it is a work of art.
Old 03 July 2004, 09:24 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

my custom cages one is in a nova too coincidently

Old 03 July 2004, 09:52 AM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

i have a custom cages international spec weld in cage fitted in my sti-ra
it is a top quality product and i will feel alot safer when rallying
it came complete with all mounting plates cut to fit
once the main hoop to a bars are welded its easy to drop the main hoop feet through the floor to weld a good quality weld over the top of the a bars etc

i fitted it myself to ensure a quality welding job but make sure the ppl who weld it in come recommended for quality as LMRnav2 points out there are some real cowboys who splatter weld the cages in -welds that make you wince
im sure if either custom cages or safety devices fit the cage it will be a top quality job as there reputations depend on it

Darbo
Old 03 July 2004, 05:46 PM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

I've got a 13 point bolt in safety devices cage in my ka (same one they use in rally kas), it was put in by a mate of a mate who does rally preping for a living, I can't falt the cage or the workmanship.

Although I've got coilovers as well, with 60bhp I can easily lose 172 clios in the twisties so I'd imagine a cage in an impreza would work well
Old 03 July 2004, 05:51 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I have a Safety Devices cage in my Evo

The car is noisier due to no seats (but then I have stripped a lot of it out as well)

Its very well made, stiffens the car up a HUGE amount & has completely changed the way it drives (taken it to a new level IMO)

Strangley the car is also colder all the time inside now lol

Old 04 July 2004, 07:57 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Wow, thanks for the replies and pics guys. There is loads of info for me to consider.

C
Is it a bolt in cage you got there mate? Does it come pre painted or do you have to do that yourself/some other company, at an extra cost?
I like the looks of that one, that would be the ideal rollcage to have in my Evo7. The only problem i can see is if you have a crash, and your legs hit that front bar in the footwell, or is it well out the way?

Jono

Last edited by scrappydoo; 04 July 2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04 July 2004, 09:55 PM
LMRnav2
Scooby Regular

Its a good idea to tie wrap padding to the cage around where the driver and co driver sit. Its the regulations if you are rallying.

theres quite a few people who do rally prepping for a living but have very shoddy workmanship. Whoever you get to weld it in try and see examples of previous work.

My mate is an excellent welder and installed many rollcages.....he's an Electrical Engineer for his living. I feel safe co driving in a car he has worked on.
Old 05 July 2004, 09:48 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Wow, thanks for the replies and pics guys. There is loads of info for me to consider.

C
Is it a bolt in cage you got there mate? Does it come pre painted or do you have to do that yourself/some other company, at an extra cost?
I like the looks of that one, that would be the ideal rollcage to have in my Evo7. The only problem i can see is if you have a crash, and your legs hit that front bar in the footwell, or is it well out the way?

Jono
Jono

Yep, its the Safety Devices one - basically they weld the mounting plates into the floor

It comes in black or a few different colours, just spec it up directly with them in that respect.

With the seats I have, it would be pretty much impossible for my legs to hit that bar - plus they provide more side impact protection which can only be a good thing!

I would put some padding round the top of the cage near your head, I plan to do mine shortly, as when you move about you could quite easy have a painfull coming together lol