Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

drove a TR6 yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 08:47 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove a TR6 yesterday....

the bollocks! really really impressed with it anyone own one and whats it like to live with one?

cheers

Gary
Old 28 June 2004, 09:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just come back from the Nurburgring where the German TR owners club had the track booked for 2 hours to themselves. After all these years they are still gorgeous cars.

The only thing i remember about owning them is that a lot have had the engine changed to the Stag engine and that makes them considerably less desirable.

Gary K (number 2)
Old 28 June 2004, 10:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

eh? stag engine. TR6 big heavy 6 pot with extremely long stroke. Stag has a V8, can't understand how or why you would want to fit one, plus if that was the case they'd fit a Rover v8 as it's far more compact (no OHC's) and reliable.

My mum used to have one when I were a nipper. Although really it was my dads toy, but my mum used it daily. I still remember fantstic noise it made when I were squeezed into the back in a booster seat.Was alledgedly in quite a high state of tune by the time they sold it some somthing more practical - uprated pistons, flowed heads. In the winter they used to dump a few large chain links (the type so large you can't lift) in the boot to keep the back end down

My mate just bought one last year too, unfortunatly it's a US spec, so no fuel injection (stromburg carbs - oh dear), and ultra low compression ratios, so it has alot less power than the UK ones. But hes now building a new uprated engine for it, couple it with 3 webber DCOE's and it'll be a cracker

Far more fun to drive than anything thats built nowadays. Even if it's not the quickest thing on the planet. I'd have one tomorrow if I had somewhere to park it!
Old 28 June 2004, 11:52 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

still remember fantstic noise it made when I were squeezed into the back in a booster seat
bloody hell ali dont look like there was room for a child seat! thats the only problem if i did get one, our little girl wouldnt fit! I heard the fuel injection system on them could be abit unreliable and carbs were the preferred option but Im no expert on the subject!

Gary
Old 28 June 2004, 12:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Aparrently it was a squeeze, booster seats back then were probably no where near (or safe) as big as the ones about these days. Plus it was the law - that daft law about having kids in the front seats was still in force IIRC

Fuel injection in the right hands is OK, they gained the bad reputation because no one at the time knew how to set them up properly In terms of performance they were better than the carbs. The demise of 5 star fuel probably had a bit of an effect on it too. They need to be converted to use unleaded apprently (metering unit as well as the cylinder head).
Old 28 June 2004, 12:22 PM
wilko44
Scooby Regular

I owned one of these myself a few years ago.
It was a US import that I rebuilt, and it was a great car.
Mine was the carb version being from the US, but the UK fuel injected versions were notoriously troublesome as the fuel injection was a mechanical system, and apparently underdeveloped.
I understand that conversions are now available that eradicate the problems, in which case you would have a belter of a car, especially in 150BHP form.

I think there is a bit of confusion here between Stags & TR6s - It was the stag that had the problems, and the commonplace solution was to stick a TR6 engine into it - Not the other way round.

Happy hunting if you decide to go for it - at least you can forget the depreciation blues!
John.
Old 28 June 2004, 12:45 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Nice one guys, yes and a tax exempt one would be nice! Just had to renew the tax on my mk2 cortina 1600e, 12 months tax sir, that'll be £0.00, why thank you!
Old 28 June 2004, 01:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

The wheels used to fall off them when I used to race my TR7V8 against them. I nearly collected a wheel at pembrey once

TR5 would be my personal choice
Old 28 June 2004, 01:13 PM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

Default took my spitfire out yesterday

Down to the festival of speed.
Early morning damp roads from edenbridge via crawley, horsham A24/A29/A27.
Loads of roundabouts and RWD
Fantastic fun.

There is a link here:

My Spit has the same 6pot 2L straight six shoe horned in.
Stage 3 Head, Fast road cam triple webber 40's, free flow exhaust.
Transmission sorted with comp clutch and box
Suspension sorted and uprated Wilwood brakes - so not much of the trademark tukking up under braking.

Oh what a noise at full chat!

I'm sure it would go well into 3 figures, but its fekin hairy!

All i need now is a limited slip diff and were really into the the power slides.

And the girlfriend likes going sideways!
Old 28 June 2004, 02:27 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

And the girlfriend likes going sideways!
Well what you do in private Nick is your business! how was FOS and where was the link?

cheers

Gary