Snap-off steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2004, 10:39 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Snap-off steering wheels

Hi,
I have just bought a CRX and it has a minging stock steering wheel. I would like to change it for a snapp off jobby, but do not reallly understand how they work. Can i buy a second hand wheel and snap off system off another type of car, say a ford, then all i need will be the boss kit? (which i can get from Halfords.)
Does anybody else here use them, how good are they? and does anyone know a cheap place to get them from bar ebay?

Cheers,
Kambo
Old 15 June 2004, 11:10 AM
rumpler
Scooby Regular

Used to have one on my Elise. Was great to use and I had no problems with it. The boss must have a locking mechanism (usually a simple barrel lock) or it may not pass MOT.

Elise version had an extra spacer but I think normally all that is needed is the simple boss kit.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I have one on my Pug.

You will need a wheel and boss for your car, then you simply buy the snap off kit to fit that wheel.

So I have a Momo wheel and Boss kit, then bought the snap off kit from www.motorsportworld.co.uk to fit the Momo wheel - simple.

You remove the sterring wheel, then bolt the locking plate onto the boss - you then bolt the rest of the unit to the wheel and hey presto. Be warned though, it moves the steering wheel 1-2" closer to you so at first its like driving a bus

You do get used to it though. Not only a good theft deterrant, but makes getting in and out easier, dash cleaning easier, fitting gadgets much easier etc etc.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:37 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help. Rumpler, you mentioned that it may fail its MOT if its the old type, that do not have a locking mechanisim, i guess that rules out buying the cheaper second hand type?
Old 15 June 2004, 12:43 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Be warned though, it moves the steering wheel 1-2" closer to you so at first its like driving a bus
I had one fitted to the wife's Saxo VTS and cos I never drove it on a regular basis, I used to always miss the indicators/wipers due to the wheel being that extra inch and a half away.
Old 15 June 2004, 12:48 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Cheers for the help. Rumpler, you mentioned that it may fail its MOT if its the old type, that do not have a locking mechanisim, i guess that rules out buying the cheaper second hand type?
One of the main problems with the cheaper ones is that the wiring for the Horn can be a pain in the ***. Sometimes there are simply no connecting pins (Small metal pins on springs that maintain a connection while the wheel is in place) so the horn never works properly. Or you have to straighten the wheel for it to work - not much use if someone pulls out on you on a roundabout!

I used to have a "Snap-Off" (Brand name) Boss for my GTI-R with a 280mm Momo suede wheel and never had any problems with it.

In case you've never removed your steering wheel before: When you remove the hub nut and begin to pull on the wheel to pull it off the splines of the steering column, replace the nut a few turns first... Smashing yourself in the face with a steering wheel as it comes free is, apparently, not a fun experience. I've honestly never made that mistake myself, but I know someone who has...
Old 15 June 2004, 01:21 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
I had one fitted to the wife's Saxo VTS and cos I never drove it on a regular basis, I used to always miss the indicators/wipers due to the wheel being that extra inch and a half away.
ROFL I STILL do that now even after having the kit on for 6 months

You have to learn to remove your hand fully from the wheel then indicating rather than trying to reach for it and look like you are tickling an invisible dog or something
Old 15 June 2004, 01:52 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You have to learn to remove your hand fully from the wheel then indicating
Unless you have exceptionally long fingers! (so the wife says anyway! )
Old 15 June 2004, 02:23 PM
rumpler
Scooby Regular

As I said just make sure it has a lock. Otherwise MOT may spot it and ask.
Old 15 June 2004, 02:45 PM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

IMHO the snap of wheel is one of the best security devices on the market, beats that cumbersome disklock!! that is a pain in the ar$e to fit and keep in the car, sometimes I don't even bother with the damn thing.......
Ideally a car should have both a visual deterent and a immobilser this combo should stop most wannabe thieves....
Old 15 June 2004, 02:57 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Ideally a car should have both a visual deterent and a immobilser
Exactly!

<Bruce Forsyth mode>

A survey asked 100 twoc'ers.......
If there are 2 equally desirable cars parked and unattended next to each other, and one of them has no steering wheel, will you try to steal the car with no steering wheel?

The actual numer of ****** twoc'ers, who said they would try and steal the car with no steering wheel over the other one, was..........................

ZERO!

</Bruce Forsyth mode>

Wow-wee!

Showing my age.......
Old 15 June 2004, 03:22 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Someone reckoned they could drive it away using a big spanner, but who could be arsed!!