VX220 Turbo AMM failure advise

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 11:42 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VX220 Turbo AMM failure advise

Hi all.
Although I do still play with Subarus I also have a VX220 Turbo now which I would like to start modding.

There is a common problem with the intake on these cars, and as scoobynet has the best engineers I know, I'm hoping someone can help.

Similar to the MAF's on the scoobs, Vauxhalls Z20LET engine uses an AMM which is a less inteligent sensor.

When swapping out the original airbox for a modified induction kit the increased airflow generated kills the AMM
We have tried many different filters including ITG, K&N, PiperX (all with and without oils) but the same thing happens due the the increased volume of air.
The same thing but to a lesser degree is evident when swapping the panel filter. The AMM may last longer than a few days, but ultimatly the AMM will die.

Firstly is it possible for an increased volume of air to kill the AMM. Tuning companies have advised that because the element is so fragile, the air increase is destroying it.

Secondly, what are my options around this?
I would really like to change my filter before I start looking into getting it remapped.

All the current modded VX's are using the standard Vauxhall paper filter, but this is obviously hindering throughput nad possibly intake temps.

Any input appricieted.
Thanks.
Old 28 April 2004, 08:46 PM
stu8v
Scooby Regular

More likely contamination damage than damage through increased air flow as the OE paper filters are massively better at filtering than aftermarket types.

my advice would be mod all the ducting (increase size) so you can fit the biggest paper type you can find
Old 28 April 2004, 09:29 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

So you think its possible that some large particles are getting through there and hitting / breaking the AMM wire?
Old 28 April 2004, 11:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I wouldn't say the particles are hitting it and physically breaking it...more like they are coating the sensing wire (which is heated).

Once coated it won't cool in the same way, and possibly overheat and melt.