Serious security lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2004, 07:54 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious security lock problem

Now Im at crying status.

Cant for my life get my security nut off my back wheel so I can get the alloy off to get new tyres fitted. The little gets that slashed my tyres snapped one my security wheel nuts 'end' off.

In desperation I bought a electric wrench to get it off but still wont, and no one will come out to do it for me all on my bleeping birthday .

Some pictures to help

http://www.rhodribaker.zen.co.uk/IMG_7604_Re.jpg
http://www.rhodribaker.zen.co.uk/IMG_7605_Re.jpg

How can I possibly get this one off?

Im seriously desprate now, been without car for five days and it's killing me, trying to get to work and appointments,
Old 20 April 2004, 08:24 PM
david-m
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ch!lledBudwei2er
Now Im at crying status.

Cant for my life get my security nut off my back wheel so I can get the alloy off to get new tyres fitted. The little gets that slashed my tyres snapped one my security wheel nuts 'end' off.

In desperation I bought a electric wrench to get it off but still wont, and no one will come out to do it for me all on my bleeping birthday .

Some pictures to help

Im seriously desprate now, been without car for five days and it's killing me, trying to get to work and appointments,
simple! tighten up the non locking nuts, get a hammer and chisel and hit the locking nut diagonally anticlockwise (to undo it) the locking nut will eventually come loose.
Old 20 April 2004, 08:31 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Or alternatively, which I find usually works when nicking alloys (joke!), bray an oversized socket over the nut i.e. 22/24mm and undo. If you get the size correct it should be no problem at all.

Leeroy
Old 20 April 2004, 09:08 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Theres no room for a chisel to go, way too close to the alloy.

Not sure what you mean with the oversized, it just misses all the edges and spins without any contact. Smaller wont fit at all.
Old 20 April 2004, 11:05 PM
tumbleweed172
Scooby Newbie

just use a centre punch and hammer, put the punch in the hole and do short sharp hits to turn the nut..that should do it....or and only an orr...spray the nut with plumber spray freeze for about 5 mins..wear gloves and then hit the nut with the punch and hammer and it should shear off...not sure truelly about the second suggestion so be carefull
Old 21 April 2004, 12:32 AM
THE M25 FLYER
Scooby Regular

I dont know about the AA but the RAC patrols have a tool called a nut buster which is used to remove locking wheel nuts when people get flats and have lost or broke the correct tool,All it is is a socket with a left hand tappered thead so as you try to undo the nut the thread cuts into the nut gripping and hopefully loosening it.
P.S that type of lock nut always gives grief as the pins on the socket shear off and wont grip the nut.
Old 21 April 2004, 07:03 AM
P_v_G
Scooby Regular

Those Honda locking nuts are.... nuts! Last year I got my father to change the rear pads on my Prelude, but the pins on the key had bent slightly so they wouldnt grip at all. Five hours of hacking and chiseling later he had the little buggers off. Me old pa had caused a little damage to the wheel but its covered by the nut cover plate so protected a bit from the elements.

Had to get two new tires on the fronts at around the same time, took it in to a local tyre firm which had the wheels off in seconds without the key. I'm guessing mobile fitters should be able to do the same thing??
Old 21 April 2004, 08:54 AM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Mmm, from the photo it looks like you've had a go with a centre pop and hammer, so as someone else said, a nutsplitter is a good option. An option I would try first though would be a large decent set of mole grips (or stilsons if you can get them on), which, if tightened adequately should easily undo the bugger with a bit of brute force!

Leeroy
Old 21 April 2004, 09:14 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Buggers!!!!

I had a similar situation with mine...... I lost the adapter to remove the damne thing..........

Had a word with a friend .......... and they came up with this:

Get an old socket that is smililar in diameter to the holes in the locking nut...

Use a 'dremel' to cut away the excess to resemble the wholes in the nut.... (make it look like a castle wall..... y'now what i mean)

Keep the cuts shallow, so that they won't bend or twist when you put your back into it!!!!

Hope it helps!!
Old 21 April 2004, 12:45 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ch!lledBudwei2er
Now Im at crying status.

Some pictures to help

Now that the pin holes are bent up this might not work but.....

You need a mate to help and something for him to lean against (big wall preferably). Use a socket wrench with a long handle. Mate sticks his boot on the end of the socket wrench and pushes HARD towards the hub whilst you try to undo the locking wheelnut. You get a proper 90 degree twist on the wheelnut and your mate's boot stops the wheelnut adapter twisting out.

Do this without jacking the car up to avoid things wobbling about.

Good luck.

J.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:30 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Get a normal socket that is a tight fit and hammer it onto the nut then remove as normal and chuck in the bin or hammer and chisel as already mentioned but get plenty of masking tape on the wheel to protect it around that area and take your time.

Last edited by Ayde; 21 April 2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:31 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Tried them all by now and still hasnt moved at all. Think it going to have to be a case of call out the rescue and take it to the local tyre fitter and hope they can get it off
Old 21 April 2004, 08:15 PM
tumbleweed172
Scooby Newbie

you can buy the tapered socket from machine mart which has the anticlcockwise thread which you could put on the sicket...give that a try.
Old 22 April 2004, 01:13 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!

weld a nut on the end of it then undo that way ? (hey I've no idea, but I'm bored so thought it worth a try!!)
Old 22 April 2004, 07:18 PM
s6s2
Scooby Newbie

Try hitting an impact driver with hammer, with a larger socket end attached onto the impact driver - cut down the sides of the socket to fit it. Thats worked for me before with locking nuts that have had the sides corrode away due to a corrosive reaction with the stud.

Another suggestion I've also used, get some wax, melt it, put it in a container just larger than the nut and place it over the wheel. That'll give you a mould. Pour something that sets into the mould, but doesnt have to be heated to be runny ie plaster of paris, clay, flour and water etc.

You can then use that as a template to cut the shape of the wheel nut out into the end of a socket - cut the end where the rachet would go into off.

For strength, get another socket just smaller than the outer diameter of the original socket, heat it to expand it and then place it over the orginal socket,giving you two sockets stuck together.

Use that to undo the nut, but turn it slowly.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:54 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Nothing worked, and for some reason even drilling has either, all still stuck on, looking like it might have to be aangle grider to cut off all the alloy
Old 23 April 2004, 08:26 AM
s6s2
Scooby Newbie

bit drastic!

Can you shape the head of the nut enough with a dremel to give you a better shape for getting purchase on it?

Also, have you been able to try welding a socket over the nut?

Heating the nut up red hot is also worth a try, as it'll expand it and make it easier to turn.

Last edited by s6s2; 23 April 2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 23 April 2004, 04:08 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

something on these lines any good?

http://premiertools.co.uk/cat875_1.htm
Old 23 April 2004, 05:59 PM
clarky1982
Scooby Regular

i shouldn't really say this.
i work in the motor trade and to get locking wheel nuts off a lot of people use a
gator grip, this is a socket with loads of pins in it on a spring, when you push it onto the nut it 'moulds' round the nut and you can get it off

http://gator-grip.com/
Old 23 April 2004, 06:17 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Just take it to your nearest tyre place, they'll have it off in a jiffy, had to do the same with mine when my key-nut snapped.

Dave
Old 23 April 2004, 06:39 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

YH PM