Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

And so it begins - the pug is modded!

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2004, 06:04 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool And so it begins - the pug is modded!

LOL - well it took all of about a month but today I got a cat-back custom system fitted to the 406. On first impressions it seemed very quiet although I did specify I didn't want it to draw too much attention (its just a 406 4-door after all). But, by the time I got back to Edinburgh it seemed to have become a little louder and I've grown to like its subtle yet throaty charm. The V6 now sounds a little more beefy and there seems to be a little more guts at the top end (or maybe thats me trying to justify the cost ). Could be tempted by an induction kit next
Old 16 March 2004, 09:06 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Question

Why on earth did you trade in a Subaru Impreza Turbo (slighty modified) for a French clanger?

I'll take my Austin Maxi anyday against a French rust bucket and its nearly 30 years old.

By the way young man, my Maxi is slightly modified, its got twin Dellorto carbs in place of the SU's. I have a "home made" air filter as well. Goes like a train

Best Regards
Bluto
Old 17 March 2004, 12:00 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL - I wanted to put some cash into the house and the pug was cheaper than the scooby and cheaper to run. Its pretty bloody quick though. Tonight it recorded an indicated 60-103mph time of 10.8s on the mobile phone stopwatch (accurate huh ) and thats with an engine that still isn't 'right' (got a funny flat spot and some odd behavour)
Old 17 March 2004, 02:37 PM
pryally
Scooby Regular

1 month! - i don't get mine till Friday and i am already negotiating with someone for some 17" wheels!

How much was the exhaust and what other alternatives are there for tuning the V6?
ermerald remap? induction?
Old 17 March 2004, 02:44 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

60-100 in 10.8s is NOT fast. Why are you throwing money at it on pointless crap like boy racer exhausts if it's meant to be saving you money. Cut your hair. Get a job etc.
Old 17 March 2004, 04:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Jlanng - a) because the original exhaust took a hit from a speedbump and was blowing so needed replaced anyway and b) because I wanted to improve the sound of the car. Its isn't a boy racer exhaust at all thank you very much, its only fractionally louder than standard and it doesn't look like a black hole has formed under the rear valance. All very subtle.

Sorry, but relative to the number of vehicles on the road 10.8 60-100 is fast IMHO (and remember this is with the engine coming on cam 1k rpm later than it should!). Its there or there abouts with CTRs, Clio cup and UK WRXs and within touching distance of classic shaped scoobys - factor in that if you are inclided to go over the ton the pug will pull back anything lost to a standard classic and I think its rather fast! Now I know that in the grand scheme of TVRs, import/moddified scoobys, evo's, M3s, skylines, etc a UK WRX, cup, ctr, 406 V6 etc are not fast I think you'd be offending a great many owners of said vehicles (a lot who post on this forum) if you try to claim that such cars are not fast This reminds me of the time Andy F moaned to me that he's 'used to' the acceleration on his scooby. I worry when someone tells me 0-100mph in 8s feels slow. Perhaps you are such a person?

My hair is short enough and I do have a job

Re: tuning. The usual options are cat-back and induction. Some company does a sports cat but I believe its quite pricey Over and above that its all normal stuff with TBs and if you want big power a S/C with/without NOS! I'm quite happy with zorst/I. Kit as the main improvements are in sound and driveability and there is no big money involved.
Old 17 March 2004, 04:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Exhaust was £300 all in.
Old 17 March 2004, 07:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SB, dont listen to them, I think they are lovely and nobody will think you are a drug dealer !

Do you still get every knobber having a go at the lights ?

I went from my old Golf GTI to the Fiat Coupe, everybody wanted a piece of the Golf, reps, boy racers and even some really tasty stuff (remember my Lambo thread), I had a 'go' against all sorts, three weeks of Fiat Coupe ownership and not a dickie bird apart from a Transit van, maybe cos its properly quick people feel less inclined to have a go, to be honest I wouldnt bother as much anyway as with the Golf as the Golf was so easy to get of the line quickly and surprise quicker stuff, the Fiat requires dry tarmac and much dexterity not to vaporise the front tyres, even the T5 was easier.
Old 17 March 2004, 08:21 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Saxo boy - bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing Its still French though, and they let us down in the war
Old 17 March 2004, 08:55 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Standard car is 0-100 mph in 19.3 secs apparently, so not bad for a Taxi :-)

So not TOO far off a CTR or Clio Cup

Probably stay with a crappy UK Impreza once moving though

Good lad, sounds like a nice car
Old 17 March 2004, 08:58 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Default Had a 406 V6 Coupe......

Before the Scooby (also now long gone).
Nice looking motor plenty of smooth grunt and whisper quiet at 135mph (on a private road). Steering was a shocker though as all those I drove have play around the centre that renders fast driving an experience best ignored.
Brakes on the coupe were Brembo (same calipers as Scoobysport used to fit to Imprezas) and were amazingly good. Understeer was, well, massive really.
As a cheap, slightly classier than a repmobile, a 406 V6 saloon is on the button. Drinks fuel if you have a heavy right foot though. I had 450miles from a tank on the motorway but only 210miles round town (70ltr tank !!)
Enjoy it.
Old 17 March 2004, 09:07 PM
DavidS3
Scooby Newbie

The 406 in Taxi goes quite well
Old 17 March 2004, 09:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

and they let us down in the war
LOL

How the hell did you get 450m out a tank I've been hitting 360 and thinking I'm doing well. I like a wee blast from a roundabout though

I still can't believe how much car it is for under £2k. Lots of toys and stuff to keep me comfy and amused and it still has some very useful straight-line performance. Certainly enough to worry most of the rude boys. Some guy in a jag got a little fright the other day too when he tried to knick my lane Its a step down from the scooby but its no hardship and I'll be happy to run it into the ground. If I can spank a UK WRX along the way then all the better....................until the corners!
Old 17 March 2004, 10:12 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Saxo,

I had fuel surge / starvation today (running v low), on a roundabout - quite scary! 4th scoob and never had it before

MB
Old 17 March 2004, 10:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL - I bet you're just pulling my leg
Old 17 March 2004, 10:39 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I kid you not... I am now a member of the club! Its identical to boost / fuel cut...

MB
Old 17 March 2004, 11:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yes very similar - f/s seems slightly more violent than fuel cut on my car though - both suck