Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone got a VW Touran??

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 07:06 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone got a VW Touran??

Mothers thinking of chopping in here Zafira soon, really need 7 seats, and the VW looks good, anyone got one, or have any knowledge about them, probably be a diesel!!
Old 24 February 2004, 07:23 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Looks like a resounding 'no' then!!!
Old 24 February 2004, 07:40 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope - but make sure she uses a broker if going for one. Easily 2 grand off list.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:54 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

I've heard that their fording ability is a bit suspect, anything over two feet and apparently you need to tippy-toe, so watch out on that, it might not meet your requirements. You might be better off with a Defender or similar.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:57 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Touran, not tourag, the touran is an MPV!!!
Old 24 February 2004, 10:05 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Oh Never heard of them. They don't sell those over here (California). I'd get an Odyssey (or whatever the Honda minivan is called in the UK).

Is the VW trike the tourat, the VW motorbike the touram....?

I'm being wound up aren't I? WTF is a Touran? A Tourag is a camel or something.
Old 24 February 2004, 10:25 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Touareg is the name of a tribe who live in and around the Sahara, and also the new VW off-roader.

The Touran is the new midi-MPV from VW, think Zafira on a Golf chassis. As for what there like, I have no idea, except bloody expensive compared to the rest of the class.
Old 24 February 2004, 10:39 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

OK, very funny, 7 people in a Golf minivan Ha ha.

Wind-up merchants.
Old 24 February 2004, 10:43 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

No ****ing way! I just looked it up on www.volkswagen.co.uk - it's Golf sized?!

I think I'd buy a used E-class wagon with a thrid row myself.
Old 25 February 2004, 08:48 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
Mothers thinking of chopping in here Zafira soon, really need 7 seats, and the VW looks good, anyone got one, or have any knowledge about them, probably be a diesel!!
7 seats is an extra cost option, unlike Opel/Vauxhall. One of the magazines here in Finland just did a group test of almost all of these things, the VW tied with the Zafira for 1st place. And when I say tested, I mean really tested. They even took infra-red camera pictures of the heated seats to see which ones get your *** the warmest!

It looks like a van and it may be expensive, but it won't depreciate as much as an Opel
Old 25 February 2004, 10:34 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mate looked at them, finally went for a Focus C-Max as he didn't need 7 seats and didn't like the van aspect. Reckoned the dash was a bit depressing.

DSG box is supposed to be fantastic, lots of engine power options.

But really, what other choice is there? Sharalaxy, Espace etc are bigger; Merc/Volvo big jeeps are big jeeps... or, erm, a Zafira.
Old 25 February 2004, 03:22 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

How about the new Grand Scenic 7 seater that's just coming out? Less depressing inside than the Touran.
Old 26 February 2004, 09:54 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

We've got a Touran - great in every respect (except it replaced my scoob ) Has been very lonely up to now, but just starting to see a few more about as production comes fully on-stream.

I was very nervous of VW after their reputation went downhill of late. Had teething problems with the alarm but no other issues since. The 2.0 TDi is the way to go - really torquey and very clean if company car tax is an issue.

Ours is the "Sport" model which is well-specced and quite cool looking (for an MPV). Personally I prefer the Germanic solidity over the quirky plastics of the Scenic. Plus our other car is a Renault and whilst that has been okay getting another would be tempting fate.

The Touran might seem expensive but try loading up a Scenic with all the options to make it comparable (stability/traction control etc) and the prices are pretty similar. Forecast residuals must be good because contract hire is very competitive (£320/month non-maintenance on a £20K car - blows my previous scoobies out of the water).

We've got three kids and didn't want a full-time 7 seater. In 5 seater mode the Touran has a massive boot, and the 2 extra seats are there if you need them, not at the back of the garage. Also, it's a NCAP 5 star job, whereas the Zafira I believe is only 3 stars .

Hope this helps
Gareth
Old 26 February 2004, 10:30 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gareth,
we went and looked at one today, just for interest really, the seat arrangement doesn't suit our use, we need a flat floor for putting furniture into, not the unlevel platform that VW have managed to create, plus, I don't like the way the second row fold up, there very bulky, and the Zafira's seats are far more flexible! and gives a nice flat floor when they're all tucked out of the way!
Thanks for the replies, looks like we're gonna stick with the one we've got, silly to spend 8 grand plus px, and drive out in the same thing!!
Old 28 February 2004, 06:47 PM
timmy03
Scooby Regular

my g/f dad bought a touran when they first came out, he was one of the first to buy one. He had been looking for something to replace his picasso after he had problems with it, saw the touran and bought it there and then and so far he has had not probs with it. He also bought the extra 2 seats, a word of warning though, the seats are meant for kids, you would struggle to get a full size adult in one of the extra seats.

the spec he bought was the 100bhp 1.9 tdi engine and just got the base spec which seems to be enough for him.

hope this rant helps

tim