Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2004, 11:26 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Honda Civic Type R

After 5 years of ownership, I'm thinking of chopping the scoob in for something else. The car that springs to mind is the new Civic Type R. Has anyone owned one or have any experience of them, good or bad?

Cheers
Neil
Old 22 February 2004, 01:19 AM
Roland_STI
Scooby Regular

Drove one for a week. Superb, high revving and great fun. Not quite up to a Scooby for performance but still great fun for a FF car.
Old 22 February 2004, 09:20 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes I've got a 30AE one at the moment.
Had two scoobies MY00 and a MY02. MY02 got destroyed whilst parked up, decieded fancied a change and bought a CTR. CTR IMHO more fun to drive than the MY02 and feels a little quicker in most conditions (bar the rain), you have to drive it harder than a scooby to extract the peformance but that why I feels its more of a drivers car than the scoobies.
Personally like the Jeykl and Hyde (SP ??) nature of the engine, its definately cheaper to run and insure and I dont feel as worried about where leave it parked etc.
At times do miss the traction of the 4wd and the great suspension travel of the Scoob but don't regret the change at all.
Have a look at http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/index.php

richard
Old 22 February 2004, 09:52 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Had a MY00 Impreza, now have a CTR. As above, it doesnt have the traction of the Scoob, and you have to rev it to get it to go, but they are a lot of fun.
Old 23 February 2004, 02:45 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Have had a scooby. Now got an evo and ctr. have raced 2 new shape scoobies and 2 E36 M'3s and an Evo and won in the CTR. Dont think the evo owner was trying tbh. They are great little cars. Get the car down to about a ton and add some Endless anchors, sort the suspension out (Spoon or Tein) and maybe add 50 brake or so and it will be a racing machine which will be very hard to beat indeed. Watch out for the lift off oversteer at high speeds + the bridgestones are crap mate. Bin em!!! get some yokos or something.
Old 23 February 2004, 07:51 AM
Dul
Scooby Regular

We had an Impreza MY98 during 4 years. We have now a CTR.
As mentioned, cost less to run and it so much fun to drive.

The gearbox and the engine are fantastic. And when the road is dry and not so bumpy, that car can curve even faster as a standard Scooby. However you really need to know the car and make a real effort to go fast.
One of the best FWD thought!
Old 23 February 2004, 10:08 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

CTR is fantastic fun Over a year in mine so far and still enjoying every minute. Normally bored with a car after 6 months or so
Old 23 February 2004, 11:11 AM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Default CTR

bought a brand new one in october for the wife.great car.good brakes .wife dosent like extracting the performance by reving the nuts off it and i much prefer turbo power.for the money ie £16000 probably the best hot hatch to get and not scared to leave it anywhere unlike the scooby.04 model supposed to be even better.
Old 23 February 2004, 04:21 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

There is a Gunmetal Grey MY04 parked up the road from where I work and I pass it everyday... Looks very nice in that colour, a great idea to introduce it, makes a nice changes from the standard colours!!

Also saw a Jap Import all white model, with white alloys, and that looks nice too...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 23 February 2004, 05:02 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

had a scoob type r and ctr at the same time last year. regardless of what others say, a ctr will never replace the scoob.

motorway driving, yes, the ctr is much more reliable at silly speed. cheaper to run and insure as well... but...

sold both cars at the same time, still missing the scoob today. at twisty, ctr stood no chance against my old scoob, fuel consumption wasnt much better, only slightly better.

traction is bad in wet. but its a nice little hatch with less attention from ppl. performance wise will not match my old scoob, havent raced any other cars coz was never interested in doing so in the ctr.

just my opinion.
Old 24 February 2004, 12:10 PM
PR CTR
Scooby Newbie

I have a red standard 1 year old CTR and have also owned 2 scoobies in the past.

I rate the Civic as quicker in the dry and it is better set up than a standard impreza IMHO. At 16k is is superb value and it depreciates slower than a new impreza also (in percentage and absolute terms). The Civic needs respect in the wet and this makes it fun as well!

The engine is fab and seems bulletproof so far touch wood and I have found Honda dealers better than Subaru dealers as well.

Regularly get 280 miles from a tank of 35-37 litres driving on mostly A roads and having a bit of fun so is cheaper to run as well.

Would not go back to a scooby for 6k more - I'd go straight to the 350z I think at 24k.
Old 24 February 2004, 12:17 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

Right click save as < 3 meg vid clip

http://type-r-scotland.com/files/cal3.wmv

Nuff said !!! Theyare awesome,cheap to run, mildy discrete weapons !

Cal
Old 25 February 2004, 11:52 AM
RB5#111
Scooby Regular

They are very good cars!
I had a RB5 WR before this and i prefer my CTR.
The ride is so much more 'planted' but deserves respect in the wet, the seats are more comfy, its uses less fuel, the boots almost as big and is only slightly less quick.
Very good car for the money and that engine is sooo sweet in VTEC.
I happen to be selling mine aswell:http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=305092
Old 25 February 2004, 02:09 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Used to have a ctr didn't keep it long

Looks like a standard civic with a few skirts. Fed up with constant wheelspin and reving the nuts of it to get any performance.
Nuff said really
Old 25 February 2004, 02:57 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

get my '04 grey type r on monday. cant wait!
Old 25 February 2004, 04:24 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

You're right S.B., nuff said, you can't drive for **** Its a tad more than a few skirts Have you driven the standard Civic ? Or even the Type-S for that matter

But seriously, the best thing I did to mine was change the tyres for some Toyo Proxes. Plenty of traction now and no tramlining The Potenzas compound is far too hard for the CTR. New rubber + practice = a quick getaway
Old 25 February 2004, 04:33 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm another ex-Scooby owner who switched to a CTR when they first came out. Fantastic little car. Felt quicker than the Scooby but I'm sure that was just in my head because of the way you tend to drive it. Also has a definite split personality because you can drive it calmly and get 35-40mpg then drive it like a loony and drop to (wow!) only 25mpg

Kept mine for 36k miles and enjoyed all of them.

Only downsides for me?

1. Tends to attract boy-racers who read M?? P????? and see that the CTR is always a comparison car. Therefore they feel the need to beat it all the time.
2. Expensive to modify. I had exhaust, carbon fibre induction and ECU upgrade on mine and that lot gave an additional 26bhp and 15lb/ft. You'd get more from a Scooby.
3. The option to change to an RX-8 was just too tempting in the end

Go for it though!

Laurence

Last edited by lpitt; 25 February 2004 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 25 February 2004, 05:00 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
You're right S.B., nuff said, you can't drive for ****. Its a tad more than a few skirts. Have you driven the standard Civic ? Or even the Type-S for that matter
Yes i have thankyou very much i have driven most of the pipe and slipper honda's brother in law works at hidsons and as you should know they used to be a honda dealer and they are still an authorised service centre for honda So he quite often uses a demo one
Old 25 February 2004, 05:03 PM
Roland_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PR CTR
I'd go straight to the 350z I think at 24k.
Absolute dog to drive.
Old 25 February 2004, 05:41 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by S.B.
Yes i have thankyou very much i have driven most of the pipe and slipper honda's brother in law works at hidsons and as you should know they used to be a honda dealer and they are still an authorised service centre for honda So he quite often uses a demo one
Then you should know better
Old 26 February 2004, 05:02 PM
PR CTR
Scooby Newbie

A dog to drive???

Not the one I drove. It was nimble, fab steering, extremely quick, nice gearchange, brakes were superb, nice driving position also. No crap turbo lag either.

Dogs tend to have B@ll@x don't they?
Old 26 February 2004, 10:17 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

If the budget will stretch, consider a Golf R32

It's AWD so no wheelspin, got AmD to tweak mine (Stage 2 = remap and Milltek exhaust), 272bhp, exhaust note to die for, and damn quick cross country.

Went from an STi Type UK PPP/VX220 Turbo to the Golf, wouldn't go back
Old 26 February 2004, 10:57 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the opinions. I'm test driving on Saturday so we'll see. Did think about the Golf R32 but it's a fair bit more and wanted something a bit cheaper to run than the scoob. No complaints though as I've had it since new and covered 94k miles. Time for something different with no turbo lag
Old 02 March 2004, 02:44 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Have a mate looking for an Accord Type R just now, I had a hunt and can't find any owners clubs or anything, anyone know of one or where there are any for sale, we are looking at a flight to the Birmingham area next weekend to have a look at one, any help appreciated,
Gary
Old 02 March 2004, 09:57 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaf01uk
Have a mate looking for an Accord Type R just now, I had a hunt and can't find any owners clubs or anything, anyone know of one or where there are any for sale, we are looking at a flight to the Birmingham area next weekend to have a look at one, any help appreciated,
Gary
Hi Gary, how's it going ??

Have you tried www.hondarevolutions.com ? they have a couple for sale on there at the moment..

Grahame
Old 02 March 2004, 11:08 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Good thanks Graeme, hope yer fine yerself, funny how you meet folk in the different forums, think there might be a few others fae the Pug days on here, thanks for the link
Old 02 March 2004, 12:03 PM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Location: up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, to the right no left ahhh just there

Wouldn't you know it but my ATR is up for sale and the price IS negotiable

click here for details
Old 02 March 2004, 08:53 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Jonesy

I had one of these for 18 months before moving up to a P1. It really was a fantastic car - loads of fun to drive, with decent economy and servicing, insurance, etc.

Make sure you get a black one though......the best colour by far...
Old 02 March 2004, 09:25 PM
Lord_Humongus
Scooby Newbie

jaf01uk i know of an immaculate Pirates Black ATR for sale in the central belt, it's a T plate, and you will be unlikely to find a better looked after car. It's in the sale section of the type-r-scotland.com site.
Old 02 March 2004, 09:35 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Think thats one of the ones he phoned about that was provisionally sold, thanks though

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Type R