Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Yay for Caterfields and dry Sundays

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 10:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Yay for Caterfields and dry Sundays

After owning a westy for 2 weeks, on Sunday she got a proper outing. First impressions is that I've been driving turbo's for too long! Totally different sense of acceleration that I'm yet to get used to. Pickup is instant and relentless to the redline from any rpm - but I'm still waiting for the extra kick in the back @ 4000rpm - but it doesn't come!

But interestingly enough the other sensation that is a misconception on my part, is the impression that you're going slower than you think. Yep, I thought that being closer to the ground, open to elements etc would give a sensation of extra speed, but in reality peering over that long bonnet - the road you see dissappearing under the front is quite a distance away.

And of course the feedback this thing gives you is in a different class, I'm very lucky that I found a very well setup example.

The first things that are going are the seats, being replaced with lighter, tighter fitting examples (ala R500 substitute). Also those 15" wheels are going too, making way for 13" with Yoko A048R's. That little lot should shave 30kg off at least

I know theres a few Caterfield owners lurking round here, lets see your cars

Justin
Old 11 February 2004, 10:08 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Default Nice. Very nice.

Nice car, mate! Yes, I'm jealous. I'd love a Caterfield-type as a w/e toy. Maybe one day... </sigh>

What engine does it have?
Old 11 February 2004, 10:17 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Is it a new one or used?

If used, where did you find it? I'm looking for one (westy) at the mo and there's not many about. Want a 2.0L jobby (300bhp per tonne one! waheeeyyyy.)

I envy you at the mo, that looks a cracking car.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:22 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you know this, but there's always cars for sale on the Westfield Sports Car Club site (http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi).
Old 11 February 2004, 10:23 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Here's mine - currently my daily transport while the scooby has an engine rebuild:

Ahh.. those were the days - it was clean when that photo was taken

Vauxhall 2.0 XE engine, twin Weber 45's, Quaife ATB, major problems with cooling system. Anyone handy with a spanner and fancies a spin?
Old 11 February 2004, 10:26 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Cheers

Its a 2.0 litre Vaxhall XE running throttle bodies - 208bhp and I estimate 650kg.

As soon as I caught the trackday bug with the scoob I have always aspired to one of these. When circumstances meant the scoob was a weekend car (now got a cheap estate for the daily grind) I couldn't justify keeping it anymore when the westy is 3-4 times cheaper to run and even more of a drivers car

You may find running a Caterfield and another car for everyday stuff works out to be cheaper than running 1 Subaru. Insuance for the westy is £238 fully comp incl breakdown and legals - thats with 0 NCB (my full NCB is on my other car - £310 fully comp ) for reference, insurance on the scoob for the same address - £723
Old 11 February 2004, 10:29 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Ooh, a yellow one, I want I want I want.

Fatman - yeah, I regularly check wscc (and post there too) but not much about. Oh well, eyes open an' all that, one day there'll be more.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:29 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

When you put it like that, the Caterfield starts to sound almost sensible! Especially when insurance on my (modded) Scoob is around £1300.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:37 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Aha, some recognisable user names also seen on WSCC

Yep, Dracoro bought it used and I had your budget. I had been looking for months on WSCC, findit, pistonheads, Blatchat and even auto trader.

This one was registered in 2000, 10.5k miles and I bought it for £10,250

Andy, I have a cooling problem too - it cools too well! It only gets to 70 C I'm leaving it be until the summer trackdays though - if it runs to a decent temp then I'll blank off half the rad in the winter.
Old 12 February 2004, 07:39 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Hehe... mine was overcooled too when I bought it. Perhaps foolishly, I decided to fix it - and now it warms up nicely to 90 degrees and sits there. The only problem is that the coolant loss it's always suffered has now got a lot worse One weekend in the garage and a new radiator coming up...

It's definitely been an ownership 'experience'. When it works, it's a fantastic machine. There's nothing quite like blasting down a favourite B-road on a warm sunny day, feeling totally connected to the road and leaving everyone in your wake. On the other hand, I have spent rather longer than I anticipated fixing various problems - every one of these cars is different and they all have their own... characteristics

Jay: check your cooling circuit. Mine was built in such a way that the thermostat was permanently bypassed

Fatman: they are almost sensible. They have rock-solid residuals (especially if you buy one a few years old), they don't rust and parts are generally cheap and readily available. Buy on condition, not age or mileage, and look for build receipts and service history.
Old 12 February 2004, 09:48 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jay........wicked car mate
Old 12 February 2004, 09:49 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy wicked paint work mate
Old 12 February 2004, 10:12 AM
Ian2wdsaffcos
Scooby Regular

Cool! I'm hankering after one of these one day once I've sold the Cossie for a 306TD & settled into my first home.

Just a question, you guys who have them, how big are you. I'm 6'3" & 17stone & worried I'll never fit in one
Old 12 February 2004, 11:35 AM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ahh very very

If only I had a garage :sigh:
Old 12 February 2004, 11:57 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy

Where's the coolant leaking from? I will help you have a look at it if you like?

Paul
Old 12 February 2004, 01:05 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

*sigh* if only I knew. I'm hoping it's just the radiator, which is straight out of an old VW Polo and should be cheap to replace - I can get the nosecone off in about 15 minutes and will take a look on Saturday. My worry is that it's actually coming out of the tailpipe, having leaked within the engine.

That said, I'd have expected to find gunk in the oil if that were the case, and there's not even the slightest trace. I also know that the engine was stripped down and had a piston replaced just before I bought the car, so that should have meant a new head gasket. It's always lost a bit of coolant - it's just now that I've modified the system to heat up properly that the coolant loss problem has been exacerbated.

Paul: if you're free at the weekend and fancy lending me the benefit of your knowledge - which has to be better than mine! - then there's definitely beer in it for you. PM me if you're interested.

Scrappy2: You don't need a garage. Mine lived outdoors on the drive for a year wrapped up in a waterproof, breathable cover. Make sure you tie it down properly when it's windy, but it really wasn't a problem. The biggest annoyance was that the wing mirrors kept getting knocked
Old 12 February 2004, 01:15 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy

YHPM
Old 12 February 2004, 02:25 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scrappy2: You don't need a garage. Mine lived outdoors on the drive for a year wrapped up in a waterproof, breathable cover. Make sure you tie it down properly when it's windy, but it really wasn't a problem.
Oh jees - don't tempt me - Its the ONLY thing that's stopping me... So I take it the cover worked then? Car OK? No rusty bits?

Scrappy2
Old 12 February 2004, 03:12 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Jay,

I might be interseted in those seats when you change them,drop me a mail if you prefer.

cheers,

mike.
Old 12 February 2004, 04:19 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Smile

MJ

They are only 4 months old! Previous owner fitted them then sold the car 4 months later. They are the Cobra Sevens, black Vinyl with slots for 4 point harnesses.

If you want I'll take some close-ups for you to show their condition, but they are blemish free. The seats I've ordered to replace them have a 4 week lead time, so they should be available mid-late March

WRT size, Ian the previous owner was 6'4" and well built (not fat) and he fitted in it fine. FYI its a SEiW (the W means wide bodied) which you'll probably need. Always try before you buy, all are different (WRT pedals, steering wheel size, seat widths etc) but generally all can be changed to suit.
Old 12 February 2004, 07:10 PM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Another Cater-field lurker here.

There's a picture of my weekend toy at http://www.n-elmham.demon.co.uk/photos/finished_1.jpg.

Its a Caterham R300, built by my own fair hand (the long laborious story of which is at http://www.n-elmham.demon.co.uk.

Lovely cars Jay and Andy, I don't buy all this Caterham vs. Westfield mischief making and rivalry- in my eyes they are both out-and-out enthusiasts cars built for the same purpose- to be 100% bonkers fun machines. You either 'get it' or you don't with Cater-fields. Being able to catch and pass a TVR Cerbera and Ferrari F355 on one track day last year kinda convinced me (....but I won't mention how quicker Radicals are though....!).

Oh and Andy, I think you'll a degree of 'fettling' is an essential part of the Cater-field experience. Both in Caterham and Westie communities, the 'unusual pool of fluid on the garge floor' scenario is a frequent occurrence. When it happens I hate the car and the hassle that comes with it, then I take it out and drive it and all is strangely forgiven.
Old 14 February 2004, 06:11 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

When it happens I hate the car and the hassle that comes with it, then I take it out and drive it and all is strangely forgiven.
When I take it out and drive it, I just discover some other problem. This morning the feckin' engine was only firing on 3 cylinders - I've no idea why, and it didn't get better. Many head scratching, spanner wielding hours ahead, methinks
Old 14 February 2004, 06:34 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Nice car

I have been down to the westfield factory today to get a new nose cone.

Fitted it it today, not long now till im ready to re-tax it (took a few months of to focus on my studies)

HEHEHE cant wait, see yall at the shows

We should have a westfiled scoobynet meet some time (scoobs welcome of course)
Old 14 February 2004, 10:26 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

I like Caterhams - especially the two I lunched in front of the pits at Goodwood last Saturday
Old 18 February 2004, 07:02 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up mmmmmmm - Sunny Sundays....

Sunday was the first dry sunny sunday this year up in sunny Lancs - and accordingly my little baby (Westfield Blade) was out.

I had forgotten how much fun 330bhp/tonne, 12,500rpm red line, Sequential manual gearbox and an F1 exhaust note could be. Most fun I have with my trousers on....and frequently forget to breath....

These things are *real* performance. Porsches..PAH! M3s....PAH! pretty much anything on the road...... WE LAUGH AT YOU......

GF commented how everytime I come back from a blat in it, I'm hyper for an hour!!!!

....therefore you can imagine how goddamned gutted I am that I'm having to sell her due to D.I.V.O.R.C.E.....subsequent house sale......and loss of garage.... If anyone hears of a happy home.....
Old 18 February 2004, 08:30 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

How much ?
Old 19 February 2004, 08:47 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

£9k - comes with receipts for £16k plus the guy who built it (a over meticulous precision engineer) spent 400 hours building it!!!!

April 2001 reg'd car

Spec..

Klicktronic Steering Wheel Gearshift
In car intercom system
Shift lights
Tillet Seats -with 4 point Willans Harnesses
Westfield Mechanical Reverse
LSD
Anti-roll bars
Carbon rear guard covers/mirrors/rear Lights
13" Minilites with 205 032Rs (2 brand new)
Uprated Rectifier
Uprated Clutch
GIVI Top Box plate and 2-helmet-Box
Aero-screen
Personalised reg. 'W900MAD'
Only done just over 4000 miles

Old 19 February 2004, 08:07 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Cool

Me and my father have a westy. I lurk on here, he lurks on the WSCC website.

This is our second one we used to have one with a 135bhp lotus twicam engine.

Now we have one with a 330bhp cossie turbo. (490bhp/ton)

The accleration is I have heard some impressive figures floating around for the car but cannot confrim any yet.

Hoping for a good spell of decent weather this year.....

Perhaps we will meet up at a WSCC meet.
Old 20 February 2004, 10:35 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

GaryC - does your car come with any wet weather gear or windscreen? ( I need to be able to drive it in wert weather ) I could be interested.

Any pics would be great too.
Old 20 February 2004, 11:26 AM
VinPetrol
Scooby Regular

http://www.findit.co.uk/cars/westfield/1033496.htm

Quick Reply: Yay for Caterfields and dry Sundays