Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

are supra mkiv engines invincible?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 02:45 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are supra mkiv engines invincible?

as per subject

looking around i see modded supras modded up to 450-500bhp for a mere £1000ish (called bpu - basic performance upgrade)... on standard internals AND standard clutch/gearbox. is this right?!

and i see some drag racing supras around... running 600-800+bhp... ON STANDARD INTERNALS some running 2bar... some on standard clutch/box also.

are the supra engines really that strong?

are these the most tuneable cars around... a lot of the resources around are stating that standard internals are good indefinitely.. and the manual gearboxes are also. is it generally accepted that supras are far more tuneable than scoobs/skylines/evos etc without going to great expense?

anyone owned one of these modded beasts and had problems?
Old 03 February 2004, 04:13 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
as per subject

looking around i see modded supras modded up to 450-500bhp for a mere £1000ish (called bpu - basic performance upgrade)... on standard internals AND standard clutch/gearbox. is this right?!

and i see some drag racing supras around... running 600-800+bhp... ON STANDARD INTERNALS some running 2bar... some on standard clutch/box also.

are these the most tuneable cars around... a lot of the resources around are stating that standard internals are good indefinitely.. and the manual gearboxes are also. is it generally accepted that supras are far more tuneable than scoobs/skylines/evos etc without going to great expense?

anyone owned one of these modded beasts and had problems?

If you want to know how far the 2JZ-GTE engine can go, try www.to4r.com There are Supras with 800 + HP at the wheels using stock parts and still running strong.
Old 03 February 2004, 04:25 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

good site, thanks.

some guy on there is running 980bhp AT THE WHEELS on STOCK internals. wow
Old 03 February 2004, 05:00 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

They aren't invincible, but they are very strong engines indeed. The auto box is good for about 500-550bhp and the 6sp Getrag is pretty bullet proof to about 600-650bhp too. Not many engines anymore that can take that kind of abuse to stock internals.
Of course, its still boils down to how much you abuse it and how well its looked aftr etc.
Going from MKIV owners I know too, 100k miles is just run in

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 03 February 2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03 February 2004, 05:07 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
They aren't invincible
who has found the limit then? looking at that site above.. 980bhp @ wheels = (guessing) 1200bhp @ crank... thats on stock internals

i think theres a 10 sec drag supra running 800bhp with stock gearbox as well as internals

to hear u say 100k is just a run-in is great

it sounds like these can be modded pretty cheap too. how come more scooby owners go to skylines than supras?

i think i may have found my next project
Old 04 February 2004, 11:10 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

There's always the odd one or two, mostly I hear of turbo's going, can't recall hearing of many engines letting go.

But yeah 100k is defo nothing with these cars, providing as I said before its been properly and regularly maintained!

Yep - cheap mods a plenty. Depending on model, the Jspec seem slightly easier to get more bhp out of and have ceramic turbos which spool up a bit quicker than the UK/Export specs steels. With a full decat and full cut defencer on a JSpec you are prob looking around 350-375bhp, sometimes more depending on what boost you run, that will cost less than 1k. 500bhp is quite achievable for sensible outlay - nothing like getting the equivalent from a Scoob/Evo.

I had a 270+ bhp Uk Scoob before, when looking I drove an R33 GTR and the Supra. The Supra felt much more special and was a nicer drive for me, the GTR just felt like a bigger impreza, which I'd already done so wanted something different. I also prefer the looks of the supra. I've heard that bhp gains cost a bit less than the Skylines, but not 100% on that. I was also put off by Jap Village, which is where I tested the GTR, as the owner who came out with me said that the GTR can go expensively wrong if driven at high revs frequently - something to do with balancing but can't remember exactly!

Come on over to www.mkivsupra.net - theres tonnes of info over there mate!
Old 04 February 2004, 11:33 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

thanks for that - great info!

ive been browsing that site and numerous others.

interesting u say that about the jap spec models... looking at specs it appears that the uk models have higher spec and higher bhp/torque tho... am i missing something here? (guess im used to it being the other way round with scoobs)

if you're planning on ditching the stock turbos anyway, is it better to go for a uk model as u get bigger injectors and better general spec (leather, glass headlights etc) as standard?

i think id better get over to that site and start looking at the forum on there.. thanks

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Depending on model, the Jspec seem slightly easier to get more bhp out of and have ceramic turbos which spool up a bit quicker than the UK/Export specs steels. With a full decat and full cut defencer on a JSpec you are prob looking around 350-375bhp, sometimes more depending on what boost you run, that will cost less than 1k.
Old 04 February 2004, 02:49 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Don't wanna get into the Jspec vs UK again!!!

But, if you are going for big power it won't matter as you'll need to replace the UK's injectors anyway, think they are rated to max 550bhp. As for better spec, the only thing a UK has over my Jspec GZ is heated seats, 2 front ****** that wash the lights, heavier glass headlights, and a bonnet scoop (also brakes but Uk brakes are optional on Jspecs, plus big power you'd prob uprate anyway!). The Jspec is a lighter car as a result. However, the big argument other than specs and speed as that irrelevant if you are planning big mods anyway is that Uks are generally alot more expensive, 6sp are rocking horse ****, and all high milers (although as I said, not really a prob!). Jspec you are more likely to get a 6sp, in better condition with less miles for less money.

End of the day, there are plus points and minus points for each, ya pays ya money ya takes yer choice!

Happy hunting!

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 04 February 2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 10:18 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
No.

There's lots of dyno queens around - they don't run the boost they dyno'd at all the time, dyno runs are done with crazy fuel that costs three arms and two legs a gallon, etc - as someone on the UK Supra BBS said recently about that 980rwhp car:

"But claiming "it's got 980rwhp" on the back of one dyno run is like me claiming "I can live underwater" because I can hold my breath. Me and the engine would both die if we tried to live up to those claims for than 30 seconds!"

They're strong, certainly, but not *that* strong.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:48 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

2 front ******, PMSL they do spoil the look but never herd they had such uses lol
Si
Old 05 February 2004, 06:00 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

I would pick a Soarer instead of a Supra any day

nuff said.....

XT, over and out

Neil, if you want to flame me, do it via MSN
Old 05 February 2004, 08:57 PM
def
Scooby Regular

There are a few 1300bhp veilside 1ns with a topspeed of 260+(not established).
Fuel/air flow/de cat and a single huge tubby will see massive gains!!!
And they look the bollocks!!
Old 06 February 2004, 11:44 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Si Does that tell you something about UK spec owners (joshing peeps!!!)

XT (or should I say Mycroft) - LMFAO - just you wait! LOL!

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 06 February 2004 at 11:45 AM.