Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Omega

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 12:06 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad currently has a MY95 Vauxhall Omega Estate 2.5V6 CDX with about 180,000 miles on the clock, and it have NEVER let him down.

Consequently, he is now looking at replacing it with a new/ex-demo Omega Estate. Now, I have never been a fan of Vauxhalls, but I respect the fact that this one has proved to be comfortable, reliable and cheap to run. He is looking at either Elite, MV6 or possibly CDX models with V6 Engines.

However there seems to be a few 2.2DTi ones that are about, what I was wondering was, how reliable are the new TDi engines as they arent the same BMW sourced 2.5 units used in the pre-facelifted Omega.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 January 2004, 12:14 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

...also!!

Are there ANY manual V6 cars around as he would prefer to keep with the manual gearbox he already has rather than go for an Auto.

The Police get manuals, why cant we!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 January 2004, 12:21 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

My dad had a Carlton that did 180,000 miles and is currently running an R reg omega 2.5v6 and it's approaching 200,000 miles. (hell! I've just bought a manual '95 2.5v6 and it runs very well with 91,000 on the clock). So they do do the distance.
I'd advise going for a 3 year old one as nearly new ones depreciate a LOT. If he does want to lose loads in depreciation, it's worth knowing that they've stopped selling the Omega over here so this will possibly affect deals.
Most will be autos but it's a good box so don't see that as a problem.
Old 28 January 2004, 07:05 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

They haven't stopped selling them yet, they just stopped making them a few months ago and are the last lot. Should run out very quickly.
Old 28 January 2004, 07:11 PM
CavT
Scooby Regular

Yes they are BMW Diesel units, and very good too.

Just don't buy a new Omega, get your dad to save himself thousands by getting a nearly new one.

One thing to consider about the newer Petrol Omegas is the extra levels of emmisions kit they have. The 3.2 V6 has 4 cats on it and they can't be removed as the ECU has sensors before and after the cats.

Not too sure if the newer 2.5 V6's are as over the top as this, but thats part of the reason why Omegas have such a crap resale because there is LOTS to go wrong. Thats not to say they are junk, far from it, but imagine the horror of going for an MOT, "yeah, well 4 new tyres and 4 new cats and it'll pass guv"!
Old 28 January 2004, 07:37 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

$hit!! 4 Cats!!

I can see that being expensive if they go, and its something to consider as I think he will keep this one for a decent length of time as well due to the good experience he had with the old one.

He'll be looking at 2yr old examples he says, as the price for an ex-demo and one of those varies a great deal, just a sign of the depreciation I suppose.

Has anyone had any experience with a 2.2 DTi Omega Estate, as IMO, (without owning, or driving one) it sounds like ALOT of car to be pulled about by a 4pot Diesel engine?!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 January 2004, 07:39 PM
si_kosta
Scooby Regular

The Vauchall 1.7 and 1.9DTi Units are very strong, our company is just changing its fleet to Vauxhall and they're all good, so i'd imagine the 2.2DTi to be just as good.. I dont think its a BMW Engine is it??

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2004, 07:44 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Nah the 2.2 is a Vauxhall Unit IIRC...

But the first style Vauxhall Omega, had a 2.5 6Cyl TDi that was a BMW unit, giving 140bhp I think it was.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 January 2004, 08:21 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 diesels are bomb proof if this 377,000 miler Omega is anything to go by

May be worth checking out MigWeb for more info on Omegas.