Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Advice on Focus RS?!

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 10:40 AM
Dunc20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Seriously thinking about getting one of these in april.

Has anyone driven one?- do they feel as quick as UK Turbo Scoob?
What power are they?- and are they 4WD?

Any good points or bad points? Reliable etc?

All views appreciated!

Dunc.
Old 27 January 2004, 11:12 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

and are they 4WD
are you a serious buyer - think not
Old 27 January 2004, 11:51 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No, I haven't driven one. Sh!tty Ford dealers wouldn't let anyone drive one unless they put a deposit down. I'm sorry, but I ain't committing to a £20k car that I have no idea if I'll like. Also, they were a limited production run of 5000, which I believe have now all sold.

For what it's worth. They are approx 220BHP FWD. The power is kept in check by a Quaif diff (attempted ), but this makes the car very twitchy and suffers horrendous torque steer. In the dry they are as fast if not faster than many Scoobs, but with only FWD I can't see them being much kop in the wet.

They were never gonna be a Cossie, and somehow look like a half baked marketing exercise gap filler. During the next two years Ford are bringing out new Cossie, RS and ST versions of various models. The Cossies will be 4WD and min 300BHP so I'd wait or get a Scoob/Evo. Alternatively, you could look at some of the new coupes. 350Z/RX8 look well tasty.
Old 27 January 2004, 01:23 PM
Dunc20
Scooby Regular

"what would scooby do"- thanks for the inane comment, big help!- i just couldn't remember!- cheers!

Thanks for your comments "corradoboy"- i already have a Uk Turbo and was thinking about the RS as my next car but i hav heard bad things bout the dodgy handling!

[Edited by Dunc20 - 1/27/2004 1:25:24 PM]
Old 27 January 2004, 01:41 PM
NW_Mark
Scooby Newbie

currently very overpriced in my opinion, cheapest ive seen is £18500 for a 18month old car.

with most still advertised at over 20K

Once Ford have anounced concrete plans for the new ones im sure the bubble will burst

Mark
Old 27 January 2004, 02:16 PM
DjacK-uk
Scooby Regular

I own a focus rs, the ford dealers did let me test drive it for 30 mins before i purchased it. I own a mitsubishi evolution as well. They made 4,500 of these very limited RS's. The Quaif diff works very very well. The car doest feel faster than a UK scooby, because of its power delivery, but it is. It DOES NOT suffer from "horrendouse torque steer" thats coming from some body who hasnt driven one, as he has mentioned. The car on a dry flat road probably is more sure footed than my evo 6, the handling on the rs is by no means "dodgy" its superb. But on a slightly bumpy road, it does suffer from a little tourque steer when putting you foot down around a few twisties. Nothin to bad at all. In the wet like all FWD cars, its not so good at accelarating in the first couple of gears, but it has loads of traction around bends and the like. The brakes on the car are amazing, better than the evo's.

The car looks the biz in the flesh, very agressive, and attracts an amazing amount of attention. All in all im very pleased with the car, yes it can be twitchy, yes it can suffer from a little tourque steer but it makes it more fun to drive hard.

[Edited by DjacK-uk - 1/27/2004 2:18:36 PM]
Old 27 January 2004, 06:37 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Also consider a Golf R32 - which IS 4wd

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2004, 08:10 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Also consider a Golf R32 - which IS 4wd
Ish...

Matt
Old 27 January 2004, 11:54 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Yep R32 is 2WD most of the time, then 4WD when the front slips.

Dipster

Old 28 January 2004, 12:37 AM
jonmorris
Scooby Regular

Sh!tty Ford dealers wouldn't let anyone drive one unless they put a deposit down. I'm sorry, but I ain't committing to a £20k car that I have no idea if I'll like.
You're right.. sh!tty dealers didn't, so it's a shame you didn't find a good dealer (not your fault of course, but there were some places where the dealers were a little more realistic).

However, as most had sold their allocation before production started, you can perhaps understand why there weren't loads of demonstrators floating around.

For what it's worth. They are approx 220BHP FWD. The power is kept in check by a Quaif diff (attempted ), but this makes the car very twitchy and suffers horrendous torque steer.
It is a shame you didn't drive one then because you would have found that the above isn't true. Don't believe the hype - go and drive one. Now there are cars up for sale at other dealerships, it should be easier to get a drive and maybe you'll be surprised!

Looking out the window I can see it's snowing though, so I will admit that tomorrow I'll be wishing I'd still kept the Cossie.
Old 28 January 2004, 11:44 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Matt
Stop it.....it was fine in 4" of snow this morning, and I would hazard a guess an RS wouldn't be...!
Old 28 January 2004, 12:17 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Heh