Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MY04 Elise 111s

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2004, 08:51 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It's been 3 years since I last drove an Elise...and that was an S1 in basic trim (120bhp k series) which quite honestly was a big dissapointment. However in the search for a new 'fun' car I'm trying to leave no stone unturned, so I took a new 111S out Saturday.
Crikey, what a great car! It's obviously more 'compromised' than the S1, with comfort and ride concessions that take it more towards a full time road car than the early Elises...but blimey, considering the majority will be used almost entirely on the road it is IMHO a good thing! The engine is far more tractable than in the original spec with useable power coming in from 3k revs, we put it into top at 20mph and accelerated up to 'insert slightly illegal speed here' and it wasn't intolerably slow. The gearbox worked very well, the brakes are fierce enough once you remember they ain't servo assisted. Ride is no less compliant than the 22B (ok though it's terrible compared to a Forester/regular road car LOL) and the steering is fantastic. Other big practical advantages over the earlier cars are the 'leccy windows, central locking and soundproofing...it really is almost 'sensible' now. It's very hard to argue against it as a complete package...at least when regarded as a 2nd/3rd car.
So..ultimately I'm very dissapointed as I only drove it in order to underline my belief that it would be a disapointment...now I have to seriously consider the car...the *only* sticking point is the fact that a 2 seater car is soo damn impractical for me....2.5 kids means the opportunities to drive it will be few and far between.
Next week we're looking at a couple other marques..unless the snow makes an appearance.
Rgds
Cman
Old 26 January 2004, 10:48 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get an 111-R
Old 26 January 2004, 12:20 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with Type-R, wait for the 111R (Toyota engine)
Old 26 January 2004, 12:22 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

PS.

You can always buy a roof rack for the forester, stick the elise on that, then the kids in the back of the forester...
Old 26 January 2004, 12:45 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

The 111R demo's are at the dealers already. Had a good look around it and cosmetically it suffers..the bonnet is raised to house the brake gubbins, and the zorst is ugly as sin. Would be foolish not to drive it if i decide on an Elise though. Costs £5k more than a 111S for similar spec as you need to specify the touring pack etc.. The problem with the 111S is they may become hard to sell if evryone wants the toyota engine and ABS.
Anyways..plenty of time LOL
Already told Nicki we'd be towing around with the Forester whenever we went away
Cman