STI to S3 to.... Elise 111s !!

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2000, 11:46 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

well....
as some of you know after owning a normal 98 turbo and then a 99 Sti in Australia I recently moved to Italy and, due to absence of STis and EVOs and dislike for the MY01, had to "settle" for an Audi S3. Well I admit it, those of you who said it would not stack up to the STI were right. It is well made, and it is luxurious, and it is 'almost' as fast...but it's just too dull a driving experience. So, having a collegue who is shopping for one right now I've sold him mine (just 1 month old) giving him a slight discount on dealer prices.
And, having tried various other cars, I've found my calling: Elise 111s!
Never been in one before and after my first 5 minutes test drive I put the cash down: simply awesome. The handling, steering feel, brakes, accelleration, interior, looks, etc etc etc....just amazing how close it feels to a true race car. Really, if you can put up with a noisy softtop with small boot 2 seats and a fiddly roof it is the absolutely ultimate driving experience bar none. Driving has never been so much fun, not in any of my past cars (Civic Vti-r, EVO3 GSR, BMW323, WRX MY98, STI V, Audi S3).

Just amazing. Try one and you'll buy one.

wall ~a very happy man~

[This message has been edited by wall (edited 15 September 2000).]
Old 16 September 2000, 12:00 PM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

According to the new issue of EVO magazine Lotus have stopped making the 111S and all customers who have ordered it will be offered the "Super 160" instead.
This is due to Lotus stopping using the VVC engine (Euro emissions problems) and using there own tuned version of the normal 1.8.
Old 16 September 2000, 12:05 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

I know, I've got one of the last 111s (silver) which has (IMO & according to reviews) the better vvc engine, same accessories as the 160, and I got a nice 10% discount because I complained to the dealer about buying a discontinued car !

wall
Old 17 September 2000, 11:54 AM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wall,
Took a test drive in a 111S about 3 weeks ago and well impressed.
The feel throught the steering is amazing.
It doesn't feel anywhere near as fast but the handling is quite amazing.

The test route the dealer took me on involved some long sweeping bends and the thing stuck to the road like glue , until I drove it and backed of slightly mid-corner and the back stepped out, but once you put the power back on again it straitend out nicely.

Great second car but a tad to hard to get in and out off or maybee thats me getting old.

Now just have to convince the wife that it is worth the money. Some chance!

Grant
Old 17 September 2000, 11:56 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Talking

Grant,
I actually thought that it felt faster than my STI! It does about 5.3sec 0-100 vs 4.9sec in my old STI V, but the low down driving position makes 60km/h feel like 100 to me! Just an amazing sensation of speed.
Lucky I'm still young and slim enough to get in as it will be my only car .... unless I use the wife's Bora ( = boring ).

wall