Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

CHANGE STI8 4 A GRAND CHEROKEE, SHOULD I???????

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2004, 11:34 AM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Don't get me wrong I love my scooby, it's just I'm getting fed up with the constant hassle from the police and the worry when I leave it anywhere. Recently clocked up 6pts in the last 6months giving a tally to 9. Hate to think of the new insurance premium.

Thinkin, and it is only thinkin although I've had a test drive, in a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8. V V nice, different type of vehicle and style of driving altogether I know. Was hoping for some of your thoughts and if anyone else has had similar ideas or done something equally crazy. Any comments on the fuel consumption and servicing aswell would be appreciated, the STI8 don't break the bank will the jeep?

Cheers
Old 11 January 2004, 11:40 AM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maybe slowing down a bit might have helped.....

Try here

Jim
Old 11 January 2004, 11:43 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Why do people want bloody great 4x4`s when 99% of them never go off road. Your using your scoob for the performance will you be using the jeep for its off road ability.
Old 11 January 2004, 12:05 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Slowing down is good advice and everyone has there excuses. 36 in a 30 and 45 in a 40 on a dual carriageway is I think a bit unlucky.

Off road use will be limited, on the banks of the river when fishing, dropping the mountain bike and dog in the back usual functional stuff I don't do with the scoob at the mo. Use my fathers forester instead.
Old 11 January 2004, 12:11 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine just got one. I told him not to be so blo0dy stupid, what do you want a 4x4 for etc. Was out in it the other day, and it turns out it's quite a nice car. Loads of toys, very comfy heated leather armchairs, stonking stereo, cruise etc. etc.
Like you he doesn't want to play the game any more and is very happy cruising around from his warm assed leather perch.
The V8 is madness though, unless you like giving money to Gordon, I don't see the point. My mates is the 2.7 Diesel Auto, which goes well enough, will have the best resale of any of them, and does about 400 miles to a tank.
Old 11 January 2004, 12:39 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you got nicked by Gatso then "unlucky" doesn't come into it, you should have seen them and slowed to the limit. Relying on a built in margin is nieve. If you got nicked by some git with a laser gun then that's different!
I know some people think 300bhp Scoobs are ridiculous, and fair enough, but massive lumps of metal like the Cherokee in an urban environment are doubly so?
Old 11 January 2004, 12:57 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

It never fails to amaze me the number of people who contribute to these posts with a 'holier than thou' attitude regarding speeding.

If you never ever speed then why are you hanging around on a performance car forum - Oh of course you all drive around never exceeding the speed limit and do regular track days for the speed kick - sorry I forgot that!

tiggers.

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2004, 01:36 PM
Mrs Tiggs
Scooby Newbie

point of a 4X4 that never goes of road is to give you huge comfort...i found the jeep to small inside for that....but if you fit its cool.

90% of the time you will use what it has ie- nice comfy, relaxed drive....10% of the time you will miss the power. in contrast if you use the only thing a scoob has (performance) more than 10% o the time you will get stung- as you have been. so in summary you will get more out of a jeep!
Old 11 January 2004, 02:22 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

buying another car with 200+ BHP and quick accelleration may not be the answer OK the Jeeps handling is not great but they do shift.

10MPG is not great either.

IMHO changing car is not the answer unless you want something else just drive slower and buy a road angelalike type device.

Old 11 January 2004, 04:44 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Fair comments by all.
I don't mean to have any kinda holier than thou attitude and accept the law. Both times caught by a laser gun and the point I was intending too make is if a Scoob is coming down the road the police are undoubtedly more likely to target it than your average saloon run about. Fair cop goes with the ownership. Just wanted a few feelings and experiences on a different style of driving. I accept a lump of Cherokee may seem a bit absurd, however I'm wanting a dfferent kinda rewarding driving experience than that of the scoob and the only thing that appeals is relaxation and comfort. Ok could go for a BMW or a Merc/Jag alternative its just I don't like em and they aren't too dissimilar to what I've got as in a saloon.

Appreciate the advice and comments keep it coming I'm still in abeyance.

Thanks all.
Old 11 January 2004, 04:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tiggers
Certainly in my case at least it is not a case of "holier than thou" it's just that as much as I hate the f***ing things,Gatso's are (or should be) visable and are public knowledge, so if you do get zapped by one it's difficult to justify a "just unlucky" argument? As I said, laser guns and the like are different again, so as long as you were not driving like a complete tw*t "unlucky" re-enters the equation!
JohnD (STi8 + mods + Origin Blue i!!)
PS I've just read W2DWB's last post and as you were "laser'd" my final comments re-lasers above apply! (But still don't get one of those block of flats on wheels!!)

[Edited by JohnD - 1/11/2004 5:05:05 PM]
Old 11 January 2004, 05:59 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well JohnD I could take you to two camera locations within a few miles of where I live where the cameras are completely obscured to the approaching traffic (deliberately in my opinion). They are also not in any obvious accident blackspots etc. so I would say if you didn't know about them then you could be unlucky.

You are unfortunately forgetting that while the whole idea of them being visible etc. is what the police and local authority propaganda feed you the reality is somewhat different at least in some areas of the country.

As for GPS locators etc. they are fine, but they really shouldn't be necessary if the cameras were properly visible i.e. if the whole camera policy was to reduce speed rather than collect money.

Sorry if it seemed my comments were directed solely towards you I should have made it more clear that this is the way every post on here goes when someone confesses to being caught speeding and with the benefit of hindsight your comments were a lot fairer than most so for that I applogise. Bad day - sorry!

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 11 January 2004, 11:00 PM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the moral support JohnD, even tho you think my alternative is a block of flats.

Tiggers - The point of the post wasn't a whine about getting done for speeding. I accept the limit and 1mph over is breaking it. I was after comments regarding an alternative vehicle i.e the Cherokee. Seems we've all gone off on one and forgot my original thread.
Thanks for the comments tho. Hope you have a better day tommorrow, if you don't like Mondays try not too shoot someone elses thread dead.

Cheers

DWB
Old 12 January 2004, 12:06 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

DWB,

Sorry mate And I was actually trying to defend you (thought I'd point it out in case you hadn't noticed ).

Anyway as it happens I happen to own a Grand Cherokee (4L 6 not the V8) in the US for when I work out there. It is just a little different to a Scoob , but I think you will find it pleasantly rewarding.

Very comfortable, loads of toys, enough get up and go to make it good fun, but the handling can be a bit interesting. Mine has been ultra reliable and the only little niggle I had with an elctric window was sorted by the dealership with no fuss, then again that's cos it's in the US where customer service actually means something.

Hope this helps a little and tomorrow I promise to attack someone else's thread

tiggers.
Old 12 January 2004, 09:08 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Grand Cherokee is great car but definately go for the diesel, like I had. V8 petrol only makes sense if you live in US or own your own petrol company. (I had the petrol version first!)
Old 12 January 2004, 10:37 AM
W2DWB
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Tigger, thanks for your comments, the straight 6 isn't much different in thirst from the V8 yet the driveability and performance differences are considerable. I must admit listening to a number of comments i'm tending towards the diesel.
I'm just a bit worried its such a massive change. The V8 is about twice as thirsty as the STI according to the combined fuel figures, don't know how conservative or realistic these are tho.

Crapaud62 - Did you feel you compromised alot changing from the petrol to the diesel, or with the laid back auto drivin style wasn't it so noticeable and on the up side was the extra saving in running costs.

Cheers
Old 12 January 2004, 10:45 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiggers
I agree with you regarding positioning/obscured Gatso's I know of a couple like this in my area.
JohnD
Old 12 January 2004, 10:46 AM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

My mates got the 4.7l V8 - after 6 month he's asked the dealer to find him the diesel, as the fuel costs are crippling. Averages 14-16 mpg according to the trip computer.

However, they are lovely cars inside and loaded with kit - just get the diesel.
Old 12 January 2004, 11:48 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

DWB,

You're probably right about getting the diesel. Bear in mind I run mine in the US where petrol is around 82 pence a gallon so I don't really notice the extra costs

I regularly drive an STI8 and an ITR in the UK so when I get out there and climb into the Grand Cherokee it is a different world. Sure they are very different vehicles to what I'm used to, but you just appreciate the good things in each.

The Cherokee is a wonderfully comfortable effortless cruiser and there's loads to play with when you're stuck in a jam - for what it is I really like it.

tiggers.
Old 13 January 2004, 08:24 PM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

tiggers,

Note the !

I know how easy it is to get caught

Jim
Old 14 January 2004, 12:40 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

scooby_jim,

I did - my comment wasn't aimed at your post

tiggers
Old 14 January 2004, 10:21 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

95% of the time I was happy enough with the diesel. Jeep diesels are among the most powerful. Check out the 0 - 60 times and they are half some of the competition. Diesel econcomy is still not that good until you compare it with the petrol.

Petrol version is needlessly powerful ie you don't need that much power in that sort of vehicle but you pay for it at the pumps.

It all comes down to the US atitude of "Sod the gas consumption, just give me the power!". I doubt you will be disappointed with the diesel.

Best bet is to borrow both for long test drive. At first the petrol will seem the obvious choice but the more you drive the more the diesel makes sense.
Old 14 January 2004, 11:19 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

I have a PPP 03 wagon and my brother and father both have the V8 4.3 Overlander top of the range cherokee which are all essentially compamy cars just won word for you NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Borrowed the old mans for a week yes they are comfortable yes they are bloody fast auto kick down is very impressive.
BUT **** me do they drink juice and handle like friggin overloaded coal barges and there is not even that much room inside for such a big vehicle and if you think the seat belt bleep on the new 03/04 is annoying the cherokee never stops bleeping for some obscure unfathomable reason or other.
Never took it off road but apparently they are no great shakes at that either.

err sorry just checked make that 4.7 litres

[Edited by mattstant - 1/14/2004 11:24:24 AM]