Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Fiat coupe 20VT

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2003, 08:56 AM
Redevilwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

This has tobe one of the most underestimated sports cars on european roads.
I owned one for just over a year and it was F@ckin mental thro first and second once full boost hit you was thrown back like a jet take off!!
But the Fix It Agian Tony (FIAT) was never far away and about £1500 of repairs later in just 6 months,she had to go , it never felt the same.The new turbo smoked and the boost never really gave you the same feeling of acceleration.
But beware some of these motors especially the Limited Editions have fell into modders hands kickin around 260-300 bhp!!
They will give a standard uk turbo a run for ya money on the straight bits but Jap imports have nothing to worry about unless you hit a modded LE.
Cheers all.
Andy
Old 05 December 2003, 09:27 AM
jamiepm
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I own a modded 20VT and can assure you that ALL the scoobies I've encountered I've beat once moving.Yes I'll agree that some owners get landed with hefty repair bills but when owning a Coupe they are offset against the mandatory 'TRACKER' for insurance purposes for scoobies, so in my mind it's swings and roundabouts.I very nearly bought a classic scoob but was put off with the 'you must have a tracker along with the £1100 insurance quote for a 30 year old married bloke!
Old 05 December 2003, 12:43 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

I just cant believe how expensive these cars are on insurance compared with my slightly modded Subaru. Give a UK Scooby a run? Think they'll beat them every time mate. Fancy one of these as a "second car". I've had a few runs with these. Seems providing I'm thrashing in all gears I'm ok but the Fiat definitely has the better torque. My god without a doubt!! That said I'm not the best driver in the world when it comes to driving at speeds and prefer to be sensible.
Old 05 December 2003, 12:57 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

Both cars give brilliant performance in different situations. Drop a cog out a gasto and the Fiat has you, hit a twisty back road or play off a set of lights and the scooby wins. Chalk and cheese in that respect. Both can be modded to be faster than the other but if you start talking serious money and serious power the fiat begins to loose out due to the hinderance that is fwd.
Old 05 December 2003, 01:07 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "mandatory 'TRACKER' for insurance purposes for scoobies"

Not madatory at all- just find a decent insurance company- as for thrashing every Impreza, that's a load of old bollocks. I'm speaking from first hand experience here- a standard 20V Turbo is quicker midrange and top end than a standard Impreza that I will agree with.
I've just returned from a 2000 mile trip to Portugal and back- during that drive I encountered a number of fast cars and had a little play with some of them. The Fiat Coupe Turbo was one a large number of "losers" during the trip- I presume they must have massive traction problems in anything other than perfect conditions as well as fade prone brakes- I destroyed one in mixed unrestricted driving over some of the best dual carriageways in the world (between San Sebastian and Burgos for anyone that knows them)
I will come clean though a YR2000 M5 showed me how it was done through some of the twistiest "twistys" I've ever driven- respect is due. Surprisingly I was also unable to shake an Accord Type R which stayed pretty close on some awesome roads in Alcantara.
Anyone who likes fast, challenging driving needs to pay a visit to Spain- deserted roads and a lax attitude towards speed limit enforcement. Oh and 98 RON SUL costs €0.85 or about 60p ltr.
Old 05 December 2003, 01:12 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I test drove one from a FIAT dealership, maybe it had been ragged but the suspension was awful - understeered badly, traction was poor etc.

Went quickly, but didn't like the handling at all.

IMO.

Matt
Old 05 December 2003, 05:00 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

I had a 20VT too for 6 months. Felt quicker in first than my STI7 but didn't feel as wuick tope end at all. Seriously fun car that looks different, cheap to pick up but you need to check a few things when buying one, like its got to ahve a red key, FSH and cambelts are prone to going early doors. It gave a turbo/induction roar like no other too...even as standard.
Old 05 December 2003, 05:52 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

I would love to have that engine in a proper car like an Integrale. It makes such a nice noise! Shame the rest of it isn't up to it.
Old 05 December 2003, 07:27 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Ive driven one and been in another and to be honest i didnt like it, ive not been in a scooby but if i didnt like the 20vt then will i be dissapointed with a uk scooby??

didnt like the sound of the 5cy engine either.....
Old 05 December 2003, 09:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driven both, prefered the Scoob but the Fiat was faster.
Old 06 December 2003, 01:24 PM
Redevilwrx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Glad that a few scooby owners agree with me on this one .
Youre right when we talk about that unique induction sound , turned sooo many heads with the K&N Cone on.
I was running extra boost with the PBV at about 1.1 bar , s/s zorst , decat, forge dump (Recir), and she flew for the first 6 months (238bhp) but I still could'nt take my mates WRX on the straights and the twistys, which in some ways made me go out and buy one.
The scooby is everything I could have wished for and in some respects got much, much more street cred!!