Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

M Power

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2003, 10:11 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going to test drive each and every one, but anyone got any thoughts on a M3 Evo or a M Coupe or a M Roadster. Is the handling of the M roadster really as bad as its made out, will I be spinning like a top? I would like the M Coupe but the roadster is cheaper.

Or has anyone got any other suggestions for a RWD car that has a LSD, and isnt too slow, and is preferably normally aspirated?
Old 04 December 2003, 10:29 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

I think the coupe and roadster handle similaly, but the Roadster is a little softer. Would love a coupe but their prices have firmed up a lot.

I've got an M3 evo saloon. Probably be selling it soo. Either way, drope me an email if want any general info or advice.

Best bit about all of them is the engine which is just a monster!
Old 04 December 2003, 10:32 PM
emthreewannabee
Scooby Regular

Didn't Tiff Needell once call the M Roadster 'The best handling car in the business' or am I mistaken???

Old 04 December 2003, 10:32 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

double post

[Edited by Tractor - 12/4/2003 10:39:29 PM]
Old 04 December 2003, 10:34 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, must have been talking about the coupe. These are supposed to be in a different league to the roadster. Coupe defo the one to have.
Old 04 December 2003, 10:37 PM
emthreewannabee
Scooby Regular

Nope, was definatley the Roadster, in his 'Burning Rubber' video. He might have been extracting the urine of course
Old 05 December 2003, 07:39 AM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

My brother had a M roadster which was a real handful to say the least!! A set of Koni's, front strut brace and some decent rubber transformed the handling and made it a very quick car.

The 3.2 straight 6 is a fantastic engine!!!

Dom.

It was defo. the M coupe that Tiff rated.

[Edited by dominicm - 12/5/2003 7:39:57 AM]
Old 05 December 2003, 09:08 AM
ADL-ATR
Scooby Regular

I think that the Z3 series were woeful but the M Coupe was apparently the better car out of the two.
Old 05 December 2003, 09:38 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

CTR

I know it is a twin turbo, but what about a Lotus Carlton - in January 2004 edition of Sports & Classic Car they road test one against a Bi-Turbo E39 BMW.

Old school type of car but highly rated

Richard
Old 05 December 2003, 09:40 AM
naefeart
Scooby Newbie

I've got an old copy of Topgear in which Clarkson and Tiff compare the M roadster and a TVR 5.0 Chimaera (320Bhp).

Obvioulsy Clarkson was raving about the TVR and reffered to the Z3 as a hairdryer. The conclusion was actually a draw. Tiff managed to bring Clarkson round in the end.

Personally I dont like the M Roadster or the Coupe much. With both cars the suspension is largely outdated and inferior - they didn't even get the Z-axle set-up from the e36 series.
Old 05 December 2003, 10:55 AM
Chicken Man
Scooby Regular

Yes the M roadster is a handfull

Yes Tiff was talking about the Roadster

The comments of Clarkson about the handling of the Coupe also go for the Roadster:
"If you're a hooligan, you'll love it!"

Mine will be up for sale in the new year but probably around march ish so if you're still looking you can make me an offer

Cheers
Old 05 December 2003, 06:35 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Cheers people, hmmm, looks like the roadster may not be so bad then. May have to see if I can blag an extended test drive in both on my own to see how they compare

Etheridge-Bird, interesting suggestion

Tractor, thank you, I may be in touch

Chicken Man, if Im still looking around March(hope not), I may well be interested

[Edited by CTR - 12/5/2003 6:36:56 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 08:25 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have previously owned both an M3 Evo coupe and then a ZM coupe, which had the AC Schnitzer susp.

The ZM was much more fun to drive, and felt alot faster (theres actually nothing in it) but the M3 is the better year round proposition. The ZM has IMO the better image, amoungst enthusiasts like us anyway!

Give us a shout if you need to know anything else about the cars...
Old 05 December 2003, 09:20 PM
MRoadster
Scooby Newbie

Cool

The M Roadster handles very well - it may be a 'challenge' but that is half the fun! I have a post-2001 spec car with the latest M3 engine (S54) - which makes it a real rocketship. It also has DSC and the suspension from the M Coupe (the previous M Roadster had softer suspension) and also the brakes from the latest M3. It really is awesome.

The M Roadster was constantly developed throughout its life-cycle (more so than any other recent M car) and it really shows - post-2001 the M Roadsters are much stiffer and much more refined making for a devastatingly quick road tool.

Only problem is that there is only 79 post-2001 M roadsters in the country and they are holding their value very well...

...don't take this post the wrong way though - the pre-2001 M Roadster was also a very good car which wasn't given any credibility in the motoring press (? - probably because of the luke-warm standard Z3) and therefore suffered in the market place as a result. The fact that you sit almost across the rear axle line makes for a slightly strange sensation when pushing on in the car(you feel the back of the car moving around much more than when sat in a conventional position in a saloon for example) - although the back of the car isn't actually moving around any more than normal but as the driver you are just more sensitve to it because of where you are sat. Once you are used to this everything becomes much easier...as does losing your licence!!!!!

In short, any M Roadster is a very rapid, good looking, well equiped sports car - give it a chance, get to know it and enjoy!
Old 05 December 2003, 10:40 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

The M Roadster handles very well - it may be a 'challenge' but that is half the fun! I have a post-2001 spec car with the latest M3 engine (S54) - which makes it a real rocketship.
Doesn't it have a fair few horses less in the Roadster though, or is my memory letting me down?
Old 05 December 2003, 11:32 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

325bhp for the later cars with the E46 M3 engine. The E36 engined cars had the full 321bhp. However i'd say the biggest gain was the addition of DSC (vital at this time of year)
Old 06 December 2003, 10:42 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

M Coupe looks the business.
Old 06 December 2003, 06:29 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Are they driftable for your average Joe, me? Ive seen videos of them being drifted in the dry, what about in the wet?
Old 06 December 2003, 07:15 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try the Z4 3.0lt manual.
At the track a very different car to a Scooby but will lap as fast if not faster than most Scoobies.
If you don't belive me ask the Flat Four Club about Brands 3 weeks ago.I think it proved a point.
Just come back from a day at Goodwood , what a blast.

Grant

One last thing the run flat tyres are crap in the wet so budget for a replacement set of standard tyres.
Old 06 December 2003, 07:40 PM
Chicken Man
Scooby Regular

Wink

Driftable?????

Oh yes
Old 06 December 2003, 09:25 PM
MRoadster
Scooby Newbie

Yep, M3 has 343bhp vs M Roadsters 325, but at 1450kg the roadster is A LOT lighter than an M3 - 1570kg!!...(these figures include driver, fuel and luggage) although it's the increase in available torque across the rev range that makes the difference, much more lower down torque is available on the S54. Taking into account the above weight differences it's easy to understand why BMW reigned back the horses on the M Roadster!!!

DSC is excellent - very well judged for the roadster in my opinion allowing just the right amount of slip before reigning everything back in for you. It is however able to be switched off for some real fun and yes, you can drift it very easily in the dry!!

I would recommend a front strut-brace though - sharpens up the steering nicely.

The over-riding lasting impression of the M Roasdster though is its basic speed - God it's quick )
Old 06 December 2003, 10:07 PM
iguana
Scooby Regular

In reply to- "has anyone got any other suggestions for a RWD car that has a LSD, and isnt too slow, and is preferably normally aspirated?"

Well yes I think ive currently got the best of all worlds & it has a BMW badge too...

Its an E36 3 series with M3 running gear BUT the important bit is the 840 V8 engine & box that have been transplanted in one of very very few RHD V8 3 series E36's in the UK.

Goes like a rocket (was nippy when I got it, but a re-mapped ECU really released the beast!) & with a stainless decat system it sounds like an absolute animal- think TVR Grifith at low revs rising to a Porsche flat six like howl at high revs) its a lot lot quicker than a pre EVO M3 or my old 944S2 & pretty is much bang on the same speed 0-140ish as a mates new E46 M3 SMG but only if he revs the living crap out of his, coz this has waaaaay more torque not bad for a sub £10k car 'eh!

Oh and it drifts waaaaaaaaaaay better then any any car I've ever owned too

This is not ment to be an advert, but I will also be looking to sell shortly, so drop me a mail if interested.

[Edited by iguana - 12/6/2003 10:10:02 PM]
Old 07 December 2003, 08:02 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the replies. Now Im off test driving

Z4, bit out of my price range

iguana, sounds
Old 09 December 2003, 08:58 PM
kieron
Scooby Newbie

hi, i own a 2002 m coupe, and it is amazing, very rapid in a straight line, and not bad round the corners, not as good as my elise but ok, the engine is its focus point though, so much power and the sound is very addictive, what can i say, they hold their value, 0-60 in 4.3, very rare, reliable warrenty £400 per year up to 100k miles, and only 900 in the uk. if you go for a post 2001 model you get the new m3 engine with 325bhp get the dsc, and only 65 in the uk.

btw, the roadster is a hairdressers car and can 17th in the top 20 m power cars, the mcoupe came 4th.
you have to go for the mc.
come look at our site if you interested lots of info on the mc,
www.z3mcoupe.com
Old 09 December 2003, 09:51 PM
M8TTJ Home
Scooby Newbie

Hi All,

I have driven all three of these and opted for the M3 Evo Coupe. I think this is the best of both worlds. The Z3M is ok but has lots of scuttle shake and doesn't handle to well...I know you can add bits to it, but I think as do most on BM3W that it is best to leave a car like this std.

The Z3M Coupe is a nice car, but lacks the 6 speed box and also not only that but is still in high demand and commands what I think is a high price. I would go for a nice M3 Evo Coupe with exntended warranty from BMW.

What ever you choose, get one with a extended BMW warranty, as the Vanos issue is common with these and at over £2k is a costly repair. Give us a shout if you want more info. I am on my second evo and it is up for sale for an E46. Once you own one I doubt you will own anything else.

Also check out www.bm3w.co.uk...we are a good bunch
Old 10 December 2003, 06:39 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

I know someone who is selling a M3 Evo, and I know its had the VANOS thing done. The only thing that bothers me with it, is that it has the SMG box. It will come with a RAC warranty, and the VANOS issue was fixed under that warranty. Its also the cheapest of the 3.
Old 10 December 2003, 07:32 PM
naefeart
Scooby Newbie

CTR : I wouldn't let an SMG box put you off - they are supposed to be quite good to use, once you get the hang of it.

I've got a manual M3 Evo and sometimes I wish I'd tried an SMG one beforehand.

I suggest you take it for a test drive and see what you think. Apparently you really need at least an hour or two, to really get used to the way an SMG boxd M3 drives.

Not sure about RAC warrantys, I've got an extended BMW one, so you should read the fine print first. I'm surprised that the vanos was fixed under that warranty though. Maybe RAC warrantys aren't that bad after all.

Now...how do I shoehorn a V12 850 engine into my mota....