Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opps, managed to double post - sorry, please read below

[Edited by mynickers - 12/1/2003 11:16:49 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 10:59 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I'm been thinking about trading the wife, eh, I mean the wife's car in for a while now.

She's currently got a Clio Cup which we got in April, but I'm getting more and more pi$$ed off with the shady build quality and the lack of ABS is more of a concern than I first thought.

Anyway, I'm basically looking at 2 cars that she likes, namely a Civic Type R or a VW Golf GTI Anniversary.

We considered the Type R a while back, and I test drove one but didn't fancy it at the time, but since she'd predominantly use it, I'd be willing to "go along"

The other choice is a black Golf Anniversary in our local dealer.
Its the 1.8 turbo 180 bhp model as you probably already know.

Looks smart in black with the 18" chrome BBS alloys.

What are your thoughts and opinions please?
Old 01 December 2003, 11:15 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

For me I would go CTR everytime, I think they look great, and fantastic handling car, mental vtec. Good thing is that if you drive under the vtec (around 6k revs), then it's actually a fairly economical car, but get it on the boil and it turns into a beast!

Just under 200bhp and normally aspirated, so as long as the revs are high there is no turbo lag to worry about.

Not sure about the annivesary spec GTI, but generally current GTI's are pretty bland (apart from the R32 but that's pricey), I doubt it's as quick, and as fun as the Civic, but probably built well.

Have you considered the Seat Leon Cupra R, you can get a neraly new one pretty cheap, very capable cars, I took one on an hour test drive on my own, and i was pretty blown away. NO turbo lag, same 20v Turbo engines as in the Audi TT developing 225 BHP, has fantastic breaks too, built quality is suppose to be very good since VW got involved. That is a potent car, and the power is there all the time. The wheels squeed when I changed in almost every gear! Plus it's spacious, and IMO looks pretty good too. Only down point is that it may not hold it's value quite as well as CTR, and GTI, but don't think you'll loose much. Plus you'll pick it up cheaper than the others (If you buy second hand).

http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/...1&reviewid=434
Old 01 December 2003, 11:43 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

1= A Car
2= A Wheel
3= A Road

Old 01 December 2003, 11:45 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Sorry reverce that 2 and 3

Where's my Edit button!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]!!!!!!!
Old 01 December 2003, 11:50 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Big image wouldnt' load, darn channel four website..
Old 02 December 2003, 05:58 PM
Nuclear
Scooby Regular

Dont really like the Civics (any civics) type R's, never found them to have any class, My opinion just.........the Anniversary golf would be ok, looks decent, as long as it was less slugish, heavy and generaly unsporty than the standard Gti Turbo.
What about a focus RS ??? is that too expensive ???? not sure what they cost.

Phil.
Old 02 December 2003, 06:10 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Test drove one prior to buying the STI 8 and although a nice car, its a little too dear considering the Civic Type R and Leon Cupra R could be considered it's closest rivals. (both circa £6,000 cheaper)
Old 03 December 2003, 06:58 AM
Dul
Scooby Regular

Well, if you simply enjoy driving, rev high, appreciate a fantastic gearbox with low ratio, a very good handling car and sporty sensation, go for the CTR.

Now, if you like a more refined car to cruse or to commute mainly on the highway with no excitement, go for the Golf.

It’s a matter of test. Personally I’m sure you’ll have definitely more fun with the CTR.
Old 03 December 2003, 01:57 PM
golfliam
Scooby Regular

Recently took my car to bruntingphorpe with VW performnce mag
I was chatting to the guy about an article they did with there sister mags Banzai etc comaparing the Civic Type r, Golf ANNI, Focus
The anni surprised then all - just as quick to 60 they got 6.9
faster than VW official time but the Focus and the CTR recorded times as expected. and when it started raining the golf was the best of the 3.

still i'd go for the Leon above the Golf and the CTR - simple 270 bhp and 280 lbs of torque

There was an Interesting looking Focus Rs doing some testing while i ws up there - we could see it was tweaked - looked great
picked up car magazine the other day and it was in the back with a little write up - BBR 280 BHP conversion - said it put the power down better than the standard car - interesting