Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone got an Audi S4 (4.2lt V8)

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 06:48 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am Looking for constructive comments about the Audi S4, i am looking at getting a new car in the new year, i had set my heart on a Subaru Impreza Sti 8 but am highly considering the S4 4.2 V8 which has better performance than the Subaru, much better equipped and hopefully less of a target for thieves.

Your comments would be appreciatted.

Thanks
Old 24 November 2003, 07:59 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Not driven one yet, might be tempted to get one in 6 months or so........ but you can get £2700 off list from a main dealer here http://www.broker4cars.co.uk/a4prices.htm which might influnce your decision a lot of car for £33k.
Old 24 November 2003, 09:10 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Red face

Depends on what you're looking for really. The Sti is head and shoulders above it as a drivers car point to point but can you compare it to a luxury £36k performance barge?

The S4 is quick (although it doesn't really feel it from the drivers seat), very comfortable and discreet with a great interior but after test driving one I wouldn't call it a drivers car. IMHO Audi have gone too far with the refinement, its just not exciting to drive. Perhaps I was expecting too much of it????
Old 24 November 2003, 09:46 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

I have and its a great bit of kit. The V8 growl as you hammer it up to a hair pin at 90mph jam down the breaks and powerslide out! WOW is all I can say. You have to push it to get its best but - a fast and comfortable crusier with a evil side you never see in test drives. I got around 6% of list but my has a high spec so I paid around £43k.

Very happy!

People look and admire and have not had any trouble - as with my classic which I had less than 2 weeks and they stole it!!!
And I leave the S4 in far worse places.

[Edited by GTI - 11/24/2003 9:48:12 PM]
Old 25 November 2003, 01:03 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies, obviously if i could afford it i would prefer an Audi RS6. I wouldn't have called the S4 a Barge, from what i can remember it was not that far off from the impreza performance when "The Stig" (topgear) took it round the topgear test track and it actually outperformed the impreza sti8 ppp on Jeremy Clarksons new dvd.
I see the S4 as a wolf in sheeps clothing, not like the impreza which you know what you've got as soon as you see it, there becoming very common now as well. 1 thing i would change on the S4 tho is the mirrors, think it looks very tacky in silver, looks like the sort of thing a nova or saxo boy would do.
Performance and luxury is the winning combination for me at the moment i think, plus it wouldn't attract the attention that the impreza would and your parents/grandparents wouldn't mind being taken out for a drive in it and you wouldn't get every nova/corsa/saxo/Evo/M3 driver wanting to race you.
I will have to test drive both and see and hope my heart doesn't overide my head, done that before with a Honda Integra Type R, what a crap day to day car that was.

Anyway please keep the comments coming, might post this topic to subaru site and invoke some emotion.
Old 25 November 2003, 04:41 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want comments from S4 B6 owners then get across to http://www.rs246.com.

I'm actually going to test drive one on Monday (as well as an RS6, DSG TT, 3.2 A3 and A8) and it will be interesting to compare against my B5 S4 (2.7 V6 biturbo).
Old 25 November 2003, 04:46 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Jeff, you've got a busy day ahead of you, lucky man, would appreciatte your thoughts when you have tested it. Was about to post a thread to ask if anyone had any addresses for Audi forums.

Have fun