Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mind made up on Civic Type R!

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 04:51 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Honda have just picked the CTR up from my work after test drive. They let me have it for 48hrs which impressed me even before driving the thing.
I did do some serious miles in it and found it to be a great car with huge capabilities. Grip was very impressive even when the road was wet.
I did notice that it can skit about a little when pushing it on rough surfaces. But I reckon I can forgive it for that weakness.
I don’t think there is much difference in it compared to my old MY99 UK turbo impreza. Just need to remember to use that excellent little gear box a bit more.
I was most impressed with the turn in and how eager it is to change direction with almost no body roll.

So should have new 2004 model on order by next week (and its meant to be a bit quicker!!).
Old 20 November 2003, 05:22 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

To be fair anything up against a std UK turbo will feel quick even old Austin Maestros against JDM car CTR will feel incredibly slow.
Old 20 November 2003, 05:36 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

scooby-tc

Dont really understand what u are trying to say?
On the move I know there is not much between a std uk Turbo and CTR, cause I owned a scoob and have now driven both. However, A modified Scoob would be different story.

What does JDM mean? Or am I just stupid. I guess it is some sort of modifed scoob. Which I am sure would be quicker anyway.
Old 20 November 2003, 05:43 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

JDM=Japanese Domestic Market ie wrx or sti ive also driven both and didnt like the CTR at all looked like a shortened people carrier but each to their own this is all IMO good luck with the car hope you enjoy it
Old 20 November 2003, 05:55 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Derek. Glad you enjoyed the drive.

Agree about the skittish nature of the car although you do get used to it. The CTR has a good few flaws but the plus points far outweigh the bad IMHO.

I'll be interested to know how the 04 model compares when you get it. It's supposed to handle much better due to some steering/geometry changes amongst other things. Keep us posted if you can.

Also enjoy the MAC course. I went on mine the other day and it was an excellent experience.
Old 20 November 2003, 07:14 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Agree about jdm car, did have a ctr soon sold that not into wheelspinning constantly as soon as a few drops of rain fall
STi type r now
Old 20 November 2003, 10:05 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Wink

I too had a ctr, only for about 5 weeks though, its great hot hatch, but what it isnt is a performance car, I really wanted to get allong with it cause it looked so nice, but when a bmw x5 nearly had me away from some traffic lights I knew it had to go
If I only had 1 car then it would of been ideal, but as a toy it just wasnt up to the job for me!
Old 21 November 2003, 06:54 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Nice car m8, had my CTR for 18 months or so and I really enjoyed it.
For the money its the best in its class in my opinion.

Dipster
Old 21 November 2003, 08:59 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

I too had a ctr, only for about 5 weeks though, its great hot hatch, but what it isnt is a performance car, I really wanted to get allong with it cause it looked so nice, but when a bmw x5 nearly had me away from some traffic lights I knew it had to go
If I only had 1 car then it would of been ideal, but as a toy it just wasnt up to the job for me!
Hell that's bad. I'd cringe if an X5 nearly blew me away

I'm not a great fan of any BMW but the X5 has some pretty impressive specs though. Power to weight for the top spec 4.4i is 162BHP/tonne. Combine that with a 0-62 of 7.1secs, 350BHP and 350lb/ft torque and you have one nasty off roader. Definately on par with the CTR so I guess you'd have trouble gaining any clear ground on one.

With respect to the performance car thing I agree. A year or so ago 197bhp, 0-62 in 6.8 etc was pretty good going. Now it seems you need to be able to do 0-62 in the mid 5secs range as per the new top flight Scoobs. Personally I can't see how hot hatches will be able to keep up unless they go AWD or do a Quattro type thing but there you go. Think I'll start saving for a new Scoob.

[Edited by civictyper - 11/21/2003 9:06:15 AM]
Old 21 November 2003, 11:44 AM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

I've had my CTR for nearly 2 years and I had a MY99 UK Wagon for nearly 2 years beforehand. The Impreza was a nice enough car, and easier to go quickly across country in, but a bit dull to drive because of that (bit soft, controls unrefined, understeery even with bump steer mod).

The Civic's been great fun, and I've no desire to change it which says something. Much cheaper to buy, much cheaper to run, but similar performance and bigger grins if you're willing to push it. It's also more refined than the classic Impreza.

I am tempted by the MY03 Wagon though, with PPP this time - I fancy a practical cruiser and need 5 doors with my kids.
Old 21 November 2003, 12:16 PM
McRash
Scooby Regular

Good call - enjoy the car. Just racked up 20k miles in mine (company car) and its getting better and better. Have just sold my WRX 03 PPP and miss the sheer oomph in the midrange and the easy way it destroyed nearly everything else on the roads in the wet. CTR is much more pointy though and fun on a good dry road. Get the tyres changed for PZeros when you can as that sorts out a lot of the wet grip gremlins.

It will get quicker too - a mate of mine timed mine at 0-60 in 5.95 last week and 0-100 in 15.2. Not bad given standard spec and the mileage to loosen it up a little!

Have fun!

Old 21 November 2003, 02:00 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Great choice

It always puzzles me why people compare a car with 197 bhp @ £17,000 new with one with 280 bhp that cost appx £25,000 new

Its like saying nice Sti, but its a bit slow compared to my TVR Tuscan....

D
Old 22 November 2003, 05:21 PM
Doco
Scooby Newbie

I have on 04 CTR on order with buyyourhonda.com. Others are using drivethedeal.com so do your research as money can be saved.