Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VX220 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 08:07 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mate at work had one on loan for a few days and he took me out in it. Personally I'm not keen on the styling but then I own a CTR. Getting in was a pretty tricky affair (even for a slim bloke like me ) and once in I was sat way too close to the driver (ok if you had a hot chick next to you I suppose) and was not too comfortable either. The steering wheel was also noticeably off centre and if you're tall then the sun shade (even in up position) obscures the view whilst your head touches the rag top. So far so good

On the road though the thing is a freakin monster. I've driven a mates M3 and been in a mates 'S' reg Scoob but this thing is something else. Torque is unbelievable and seems to pull unfeasibly hard in any gear at any speed. Handling didn't seem too bad either although being a passenger I was laughing too much to notice the finer details.

Not the best looker/image but it was such a wicked experience. I'd never buy one but I've now changed my view of them a lot.

[Edited by civictyper - 11/5/2003 8:09:57 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 11:05 PM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

Oh Scooby TC - what a stoopid comment - the car is designed as a lightweight sports coupe/track day car - not as a 5 door saloon rally car you muppet.

It's also substantially quicker and better looking than a Subaru.

[Edited by Stu-exScoobOwner - 11/5/2003 11:27:22 PM]
Old 11 June 2003, 09:15 AM
mantamagic
Scooby Regular

Why do people always knock VX without justification ?

Do they forget GM part own Subaru which is why the Saab is using the Imprezza platform.

We been over it a million times before.

The Subaru badge is no better than the Vx badge, let's just say their even.

As for hairdresser's car, could they live without electric windows ?

Regds,

Mantamagic

[Edited by mantamagic - 11/6/2003 9:16:37 AM]
Old 11 July 2003, 12:11 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

I spent a couple of days driving one last month and thought it was fantastic, nowhere near the acceleration of an STI or an Evo, but able to carry far more speed around corners. The handling is out of this world, just a shame that the spindly front tyres make it understeer so much.

The interior is comfy but rattles and creaks like hell, obviously impossible to get in and out of, leather seats are a bit too slidey, wind noise is unbearable at speed (even with a hardtop and wearing a helmet) and the fuel tank is only 30 litres. I'd still love one though, would like a bit more power though. J

Edited to correct my dyslexia

[Edited by John STI 8 - 11/7/2003 12:12:46 PM]
Old 11 October 2003, 05:19 PM
Simon_B
Scooby Newbie

Test drove one last week and thought it was brilliant.

Those on here knocking it a) try one before you comment and b) when you are comparing figures with your Scoobs why not use some mpg data? Going quickly doesnt need to cost the earth - the VXT proves that.

[Edited by Simon_B - 11/10/2003 5:21:22 PM]
Old 05 November 2003, 07:37 PM
tfc
Scooby Newbie

i see that it came top in 'car' mag as best performance car
Old 05 November 2003, 07:40 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

And your point is.................IMO its still an unpractical hairdressers go-kart and worse still its vauxhall
Old 05 November 2003, 07:56 PM
cletterridge
Scooby Regular

Who cares if it's practical or not? I can't imagine many tin box saloons keeping up.
Old 05 November 2003, 09:18 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great looking car, personally I’d love one. Unbeatable for the price I think. Shame about the Vauxhall badge
Old 05 November 2003, 10:31 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Aye just imagine going to a party with a fit bird and having to tell everybody her name is Trent Borrett [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

By the opel version.

BTW they are fecking quick

Old 06 November 2003, 12:30 AM
emthreewannabee
Scooby Regular

"And your point is.................IMO its still an unpractical hairdressers go-kart and worse still its vauxhall"

Lol hehe it's hillarious how your instantly on the defensive. Shock horror, It CANT be better than a Scoob can it?? Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your good for your entertainment factor though
Old 06 November 2003, 12:48 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I'd actually own one, think they look nasty from the front but I think the angular rear is gorgeous. Nothing a bit of fibreglass wouldn't sort out
Old 06 November 2003, 09:04 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ive only ever heard good things about this car, next summer I shall be considering buying one for the 2.5days of sunny dry weather we usualy get

Why dont vauxhaul launch a sister brand? Same way BMW do with the Aplina beemers? That way they can launch and sell the VX under a different name, thus quashing stupid comments like "well it's still a vauxhaul snort snort snort"....... I assume they have a good reason for not doing this

Not been in a VX myself but would very much like to test the turbo car

my $0.02
Old 06 November 2003, 09:24 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm test driving a VX220 Turbo on Saturday and am looking forward to it enormously
Old 06 November 2003, 10:00 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Got taken round Silverstone in one with a pro racing driver. He commented that it was a very well balanced car. Easy to lift off and let the nose tuck in when understeering and enough welly to get the back out in a nice controllable drift. Inside not so nice with a rattle or two and nothing to hold on to!

However, my mindset is, if you're gonna go for a rather compromised car then go the whole hog and get a catering van or westy (which I'm looking for so if anyone knows of one )
Old 06 November 2003, 05:11 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

POC I have only had the roof on 4 times since I picked my S2 up 6 months ago
Old 06 November 2003, 05:31 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

bloody hell mate we've had the best summer in years and you've only had the roof off twice???
Old 06 November 2003, 05:32 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

sorry 4 time
Old 06 November 2003, 05:34 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

sorry again missread you post
Repeat after me must read post’s, must read post’s, must read post’s, must read post’s.
Old 06 November 2003, 06:16 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

I own a NA VX as well as the scoob and I'd love a turbo, maybe next year

owners club is here www.vx220.org.uk

oh and the forum webmasters turbo is putting out 260bhp with 270lbft of torque, he assures us that there are not many cars that will keep up with it, he even says it leaves his 460bhp rs4 in its wake until about 140!

Both the VX's are great cars, shame it doesn't always get the respect it deserves, that'll be the badge then?

John.
Old 06 November 2003, 06:59 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

The badge and shape doesnt do it for me, I don't like the steering wheel either.

I liked the VX220 Turbo but didnt love it, so went for the car Lou and I loved.
Old 06 November 2003, 09:23 PM
bakerman2
Scooby Newbie

Blast round Palmersports track in one and you will like it .....
One of their motors had 30k miles on it and they ain't treated nicely, not one of the motors had ever let go (when I was there a few months back anyway).
DO NOT knock it until you have had a go in it, it is a fantastic, fun, fast motor.
Old 07 November 2003, 12:39 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

doesn't the vx220 have the exact same chassis as a lotus elise?? a car which is renound for it's chassis ability???

because it says vauxhall people automatically think"it must be crap". drive one before you comment..

gav...
Old 07 November 2003, 08:57 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I found it extremely difficult to get in/out of and also very uncomfortable.

I know you dont buy a car like that for comfort but dont think I could live with one every day.
Old 07 November 2003, 09:24 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

Old 07 November 2003, 09:29 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

and just for a balanced opinion..

Old 07 November 2003, 06:24 PM
CavT
Scooby Regular

A VX220 Turbo no where near the acceleration of a Scoob or Evo? You jest surely?

I find all this badge snobbery quite boring to be honest. What was Subaru to most people 15 years ago? As far as most people were concerned, they made cars that only farmers used!!

The fact its a Vauxhall shouldn't have any bearing on what the car is. Fair enough if they were charging over the odds for it, but Vauxhall arn't, its competitively priced along with the other manufacturers.

Can you level the same criticism at Skoda? I think not. Sure the badge isn't quite as 'cool' as VW or Audi, but then paying more moolah for a VW or Audi with the same running gear and engine isn't quite so 'cool' either!

The VX220/Turbo is an Elise in drag, and its better than the Elise, but despite the fact that Lotus designed the bloody thing, and its to all intents and purposes an Elise with a different bodyshell and a better engine, its simply not enough for some people.

Some people who keep carping on about it being a Vauxhall, really need to get a life, drive it, and then say "its just a Vauxhall"!

So its a Vauxhall...... big bloody hairy deal!
Old 07 November 2003, 06:26 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

The Chassis is the same but thats about it, different dampers, springs, tyres, engine, gearbox, clutch, PAS, ABS need I go on..........

I have never slated it, I think the Turbo is very good, not my cup of tea and the name means a lot to me and others who grew up watching them on TV. The only Vauxhall I remember is John Clelands Cavalier doing battle with the old Bimmers, great fun to watch, but it didnt make me want to own a Vauxhall when I was older.

I test drove VX22, the Turbo, S2 standard, S2 111S, S1 160, S1 111S, standard S1, so would say I am in a position to comment.

Old 07 November 2003, 10:47 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

Cav, fraid it's true, they don't accelerate as quick as you'd expect, it's just that they do everything else so well that you forgive this. I know I'm in the minority but I've always prefered them to elises, even the looks. J
Old 07 November 2003, 10:51 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I believe that Dave T-S has one of these.

Quick Reply: VX220 turbo