Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Interesting MG

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 12:07 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here: http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_article.asp?na_id=204491

I'm usually the first to put the boot in where MG is concerned- not because I hate them, more because they make so many crap, outdated cars and everyone always gives them an easy ride. Here though is a genuinely interesting and innovative product they've developed. Maybe they'll be first to get such a car to market.

edited to add: I know the Honda Insight uses similar job but it's not performance oriented.

[Edited by NACRO - 11/3/2003 12:08:27 PM]
Old 03 November 2003, 12:47 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Aye, the TF is a real success for them at the moment, and this development shows encouraging signs that MG Rover are looking towards the future.

However...

I expect MG Rover will get the designs almost perfected, only to be bought out by a large (say German) car manufacturer, who will then effectively steal the ideas, remarketing the design as one of their own models, while at the same time redirecting their own R&D costs through MG Rover, so it doesn't make profit, before selling off the parts of MG Rover they don't want, and making a huge success of the hybrid car range.
Old 03 November 2003, 12:55 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Is the TF really a success? I'm not saying it isn't but as it is outclassed by all its competitors (MX5, MR2 etc)that surprises me?Having said that I've only driven the old hydragas (a close relation to the hydrolastic suspension my mini had I presume?)
suspension model, I imagine the TF is is improved somewhat?

The 4WD variant mentioned here with the electric assistance sounds good but will obviously never see production in that form.
Old 03 November 2003, 01:35 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Apparently so. It's still matching sales of the MX-5, and MG Rover's site report that demand has forced the production rate to increase considerably.

Plus, it's been found to be the safest in its class by Euro NCAP (by some margin too), and won some award ('World's Most Beautiful Cabriolet' in Milan), though the latter does question the other cars in the competition!

The main niggle from the original car was its build quality, but the TF seems to have addressed that. I doubt it will ever match the quality of the Mazda though.

Maybe MG-R will use this new technology in the replacement for the 45?
Old 03 November 2003, 01:36 PM
Witor
Scooby Newbie

TF, handling wise (This was a 135), felt miles better than the old F's. Bit of a gritty ride, though my 10 min test drive was on gibraltar's street roads which are pretty crap on most cars.

External update has worked pretty well, but the interior looks well dated in the TF.
Old 03 November 2003, 07:09 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

The MGF had hydrogas a little different to the mini, it was the the same suspension set-up as the Rover Metro...

The TF had an additional strut brace in the engine bay as well as a cross brace behind the facia, also the bodyside was a one piece pressing, previously 2 piece...there was also additional stiffners added. The extra stiffness and conventional suspension meant it was far more dynamic drive over the MGF, still far off class leading MX5 IMO...

It's the best selling convertable in the uk I understand, suppose most are driven by women and posers anyway like my MINI so the majority dont really explore the handling side
Old 03 November 2003, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nacro, you may just set MGJohn going again, you know its not worth it !