Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MG’s new XPower SV supercar ...is it really worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 01:57 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a passenger in one :-) I like it, I'd have a GT3 however, the MG sounds bloody fantastic....

Nacro what do you drive ??

[Edited by mn_angrybeats - 11/1/2003 1:58:18 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 02:16 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

So whats an Impreza ???? a crap ordinary family car made reasonably fast...more or less what MG Rover are doing.

Hypocrite

[Edited by mn_angrybeats - 11/1/2003 2:18:01 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 02:28 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Wink

Not really, I agree with your points regarding the Impreza but can't quite follow your argument applied to the MG "Magusta" we have here-it isn't and never has been a family car.

Personally I'm not one of these one marque maniacs who imagines he drives a flawless supercar just because he happen to own that car at the moment. The Impreza has a myriad of faults, it just so happens I bought one as I got a great deal and was looking for a fairly quick practical car. Owning one doesn't in any way make me a hypocrite for saying that MG offer warmed over versions of old Rovers. It's more a statement of the facts as I see them, a bit like your statement "So whats an Impreza ???? a crap ordinary family car made reasonably fast...".
The car you own has nothing to do with your ability to make objective judgments on other cars. Like I said I could own an FSO or a Yugo and my opinion on MG's range would be exactly the same, despite the fact the entire MG range is hugely superior to my hypothetical shed. Hope you manage to understand that this time.

edited to add I notice you edited your post- I agree it needed changing, it made you look bad.

[Edited by NACRO - 11/1/2003 2:30:26 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 02:55 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

What I cannot understand is why do you bother posting on the forum when clearly you know very little about cars, maybe by removing your baseball cap you might have a less blinkered view ??

[Edited by mn_angrybeats - 11/1/2003 2:57:13 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 03:07 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
What has made you draw that conclusion? FYI I've never claimed to be a great expert, I do however have an opinion. People like you don't seem to be able to handle that though so you prefer to come out with laughable, baseless comments like your last one. I think that makes you a bit of a loser.
As for baseball cap I presume that's aimed at Impreza drivers in general as I don't wear and have never worn one. I drive an estate Impreza and as we all know the baseball cap brigade hate them. I think you might be able to offend some of them of them if you keep at it though!

edited to add: make sure you are quick with your next edit 'cos I'm gonna take a screen shot next time so you can't try to cover your tracks.

[Edited by NACRO - 11/1/2003 3:09:31 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 03:42 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Lol_ I just looked at mini boys past posts- talk about pot calling the kettle black, most of his posts have some kind of anti-Impreza subtext to them. I suspect he's tired of having his *** kicked by dirt cheap Japanese saloons/wagons while he drives around in his media tarts special pose mobile.
Why bother posting on a board that represents a marque you so clearly hate?

edited as I just read all his posts- what a crock of ****!

[Edited by NACRO - 11/1/2003 3:45:12 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 03:45 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

ouch....

ouch, ouch...

edited to add ouch, ouch...

[Edited by AK47 - 11/1/2003 3:48:40 PM]
Old 11 January 2003, 04:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

As it has AWD a feature I need. Also I'm not massively bothered about posing. At the risk of being accused of boasting 16K is hardly going to break the bank is it? As I'm sure you know the little mini is something of a bargain.
I notice you don't bother answering any of the points I put to you. Seems like you are the one who knows nothing to me. Your agenda seems to be to slag off Imprezas, please go ahead, I'm sure you'll be on a hiding to nothing as well as exposing that in fact you are the ignorant one.

[Edited by NACRO - 11/1/2003 4:31:26 PM]
Old 11 March 2003, 09:09 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

Paul ... "Worth it" is a relative issue. Even if I had £75,000 to spend, despite being a very keen car enthusiast since before I bought my first MGB in mid 1960s, I would not buy one of these MG SV jobbies. From my viewpoint, which I would guess is much the same as most folk here who have to work to earn a living, none of the cars mentioned in the same price tag breath on this thread are really "worth it", no matter how good or not. My car needs in my circumstances are different and a Porsche, MG Xpower SV or any of the rest would not suit my needs.

Had I access to unlimited funds, so could have a wide range of "suitable for my needs or moods" cars, one of these may just take its place in my ten car garage. If I only had £75,000 to spend, a car would NOT be No. 1 on my shopping list.

Yes, individual viewpoints and circumstances can make all the difference. When the Queen has a tenner bet on one of her thoroughbred race horses which could be worth a massive fortune at stud, win or lose it makes little difference to her. When a lowly paid and in debt working mum has that same tenner on that same horse, maybe in desparation, the result could mean the difference between her kids eating well .... or not that week. "Worth it" has many interpretations ....

From my viewpoint, none of the "pricey" cars mentioned on this thread are "Worth it"..... but then I suspect I have different values to your average car buyer. I certainly get more pleasure restoring and driving that neglected turbo I recovered from the depths of the Forest of Dean last year than I did when taking delivery of my new ZS this summer....

[Edited by MGJohn - 11/3/2003 9:16:15 PM]
Old 30 October 2003, 01:26 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Taken from Whatcar:
MG’s new XPower SV supercar will cost from £75,000 in entry-level 320bhp form when it goes on sale on November 1. With its 4.6-litre V8 engine, the XPower SV sprints to 60mph in 5.3sec and has a top speed of around 165mph - performance figures comparable with the £56,630 Porsche 911’s. The SV uses a version of the engine fitted to the recently launched ZT 260 performance saloon.
For far less money I get my STI that beats your 0-60 time and to be more precise you pay £50,000 more to go 10mph faster...is it worth it?

Definitely not worth it in my books!
Old 30 October 2003, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
£75K

I can really seeing that car being a success at that price!
Old 30 October 2003, 01:30 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

HMMM post missing

After climbing out and crawling over the said beast less than 5 mins ago and watching it running round our car park

i can confirm

yes it probably can..... tuning options can potentially give it

manic bhp figures 500+

Mart
Old 30 October 2003, 01:39 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Isn't it just a Qvale Mangusta with some MG badges stuck on it?

Good old MG Rover carrying on their tradition of crap badge engineering.

Anyone know how the "streetwise" (what a name) is doing? I heard very, very badly. I also read a very amusing autocar piece in which it was called the most misappropriately named thing since Posh Spice. Just waiting for the MG crew to pile in and try to deny my right of free speech now!
Old 30 October 2003, 01:39 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

yes I can see the tuning options bit as this is the idea behind the new MG. However will getting 500bhp cost another fifty grand? (most probably)

for £100K, I can think of many cars I'd spend the money on and the XPower isn't one of them!
Old 30 October 2003, 03:05 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Anyone know how the "streetwise" (what a name) is doing? I heard very, very badly.
You heard wrong! They've sold over 1000 units already, and now have the likes of VW copying them with the Polo 'Fun', or whatever it's called this week.

The SV is anything but a rebadged Qvale. It shares the chassis (albeit retuned) but everything else is very different. Carbon fibre panels, higher states of tune available, completely new interior etc etc. You're entitled to your opinion (free speech as you say ) even if it is wrong!

Simon.
Old 30 October 2003, 03:29 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I reckon the SV is a tad expensive, considering the price of equivalent Porsches. Will be interesting to see how much the more tuned versions cost.

Personally, I'd like more air vents and slats on the car for the £75k

As for the Streetwise - there seems to be a lot of them pottering round the West Midlands. I'm more interested in how the sales of the new CityRover will go. Afterall, it is this model that MG Rover is hoping to pull in the sales, not gimmicks such as the Streetwise.
Old 30 October 2003, 03:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Wink

I'm quite happy to be put right! Thanks for the info, I don't think that 1000 units (lots probably reg'd to dealers, soon to hit the market and destroy residules) is a success.
As for VW copying them other people have made softroader lifestyle cars long before "streetwise" (you gotta laugh). X-90 anyone, how about the renault scenic plastic cladding edition?
Interesting about the Q-vale- so the MG is a tweaked, badge engineered version then, thanks for putting me straight.

edited to add this little gem: "there seems to be a lot of them pottering round the West Midlands"- says it all really. I've never seen one anywhere, but I don't spend a lot of time in the abdomen of England.

[Edited by NACRO - 10/30/2003 3:33:48 PM]
Old 30 October 2003, 03:36 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

For 75k I would want something a bit more upmarket than an MG
Old 30 October 2003, 03:46 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Question

I live in the West Midlands, hence my sightings of them there.

I can't see how that sums anything up, apart from the fact that I live there, and have seen a few driving round.
Old 30 October 2003, 03:56 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nacro,

Just off home now. I'll take the bait when I get there!

Simon.
Old 30 October 2003, 03:58 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Where are MG Rover based? In the midlands perhaps? Plus MG/Rover/BL have always had a strong following in the midlands due to the fact they employ lots of people there.
Maybe these cars have been flogged off cheap to their employees. I honestly didn't see a single streetwise (apart from a sad looking unregistered pale blue one looking forelorn on a squallid little dealerships forecourt in Goring, West Sussex) in my recent trip to the UK and I visited a lot of places.

If it turns out to be a success then I'll be the first one to post here congratulating them.

In any case this thread should be about the Q-Vale mangusta, sorry for dragging it off topic. I agree with the comments others have made here, I'll take a Porsche over that any day.
Old 30 October 2003, 04:34 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

I assume from its design, it's sort of aimed at the Dodge Viper, and such "muscle cars". But for £75k, you get a 500bhp Viper. So it's still too dear!
Old 30 October 2003, 04:36 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

For far less money I get my STI that beats your 0-60 time and to be more precise you pay £50,000 more to go 10mph faster...is it worth it?
I guess you think the "expensive" Porsche 996 Carrera isn't as good as your STI either?
Old 30 October 2003, 04:49 PM
NACRO
BANNED

The difference between the 911 and the MG is that the MG doesn't have any breeding. Nor does it have years of evolution backing it up. Also for a substantial proportion of people it doesn't have a decent badge, not that it would bother me.
Seems like a lot of cash for what you are getting, I'd buy a TVR if I wanted a really decent, fast and cheap British car and pocket a load of cash.
Old 30 October 2003, 04:53 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The difference between the 911 and the MG is that the MG doesn't have any breeding. Nor does it have years of evolution backing it up.
Nor does the Pagani Zonda, and that's bloody expensive. Maybe the MG will turn out to be surprisingly good? Let's not cast aspersions before we find out. Good on them for doing it, anyway.
Old 30 October 2003, 04:58 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The difference between the 911 and the MG is that the MG doesn't have any breeding.
Neither does a Noble or a Pagani Zonda, doesn't stop them being blindingly good.

Still, £75k for a Ford Mustang with an MG badge, good luck selling that. Maybe jack it up a bit and stick some plastic cladding on it and it'll sell a few more...

EDIT: see what happens if you leave it a few minutes between hitting "Reply" and actually replying?

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 10/30/2003 4:59:48 PM]
Old 30 October 2003, 05:03 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Question

no, this isn't what i meant at all (not reading between the lines ). what i am saying is that for this kind of money, i'd personally expect something in terms of phenomenal performance like lets say a TVR or Caterham (these are British and cost somewhat less but with wicked pace!)

know what I'm sayin'duda?
Old 30 October 2003, 05:14 PM
NACRO
BANNED

The Zonda is another league altogether

The Noble cheap and cheerful.

The problem for this Qvale/MG as I see it, is that the car it will be competing against in terms of price is the best in its sector and an icon.

On a more positive note let's hope it is a good car, after all you can't have too many good, fast cars can you? I just wouldn't buy one if I was lucky enough to be thinking about sinking 75K into a motor,
Old 30 October 2003, 05:52 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Question

I've read that the starting price will be only £60k !?!

Still alot - but we'll see how good it is...

Old 30 October 2003, 06:26 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

heard one of the models comes with factory nitrous

Quick Reply: MG’s new XPower SV supercar ...is it really worth it??