Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New M3 or S4?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2003, 12:56 PM
PeterGT4
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mate of mine is undecide between the above. Anyone with 1st hand experience of these 2 that can help him make up his mind?

Cheers
Old 22 October 2003, 01:28 PM
HumptyDumpty
Scooby Regular

get a used 22B

Scoobies rock!!!!
Old 22 October 2003, 01:39 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

For 4 doors, get the S4, for 2, the M3.
M3 will be better to drive and marginally quicker and be more economical. S4 be more stable and have 4wd.
Old 22 October 2003, 01:48 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cant say I've ever driven an M3 but I took the new 4.2 V8 S4 out for a test drive the other day thanks to my friendly local Audi dealer who was trying to flog me one.

It's beautifully built and has a lovely interior but I was totally underwhelmed with the drive. Yes it was quick but not as much as I was expecting ( it FELT no quicker than my Revo chipped 270hp Leon Cupra R ) Brakes were out of this world though, steering suffered from Audi's age old problem of being totally vague. The engine sounds fantastic and this alone nearly makes the car worth the £35k asking price but in the end it just did absolutely nothing for me (and thats coming from someone who's always been an Audi fan)

The car also has virtually nothing apart from the 18" Avus wheels and chrome mirrors to make it stand out from a normal A4.... OK stealth may be a good thing these days but at least some flared arches and a bit more agreesive front end wouldn't have gone amiss.
Old 23 October 2003, 08:46 AM
topboss
Scooby Regular

I've got an M3 myself and my brother has recently taken delivery of an S4. I've only driven the S4 briefly but it seemed to offer similar performance.....just in a more sedate and laid back way. I would be more than happy to wake up to either!
Old 23 October 2003, 12:26 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

"Underwhelmed with the drive!"
I love my S4 only had it a couple of days and I love it! Better than the classic and S3 I've had!
And the face this blokes face last night when I killed him in his M3, you could tell he was gutted that a Audi ESTATE had beaten him at 135mph+ (was damp mind) but I think general real world day to day driving the Audi is better and less common!

Its a real Q car and to those who know, it looks fantastic it has got such a sedate understated aggressiveness to it!

GET THE S4!
And its great to drive!

[Edited by GTI - 10/23/2003 12:30:30 PM]
Old 23 October 2003, 12:28 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Only had it a couple of days and your racing it. Doesnt it need running in a bit?

Old 23 October 2003, 12:42 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

or

Old 23 October 2003, 01:05 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Well yes I guess it does but I really couldn't help myself I was doing a nice reasonable 80mph and he flew past!
Only time I've leathered it though!

Stayed below 80 the rest of the time, and no high revving just nice slow "sensible" driving, dnt you just hate that word "sensible"
Old 23 October 2003, 01:26 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

GTI, did you get anything off the S4, any discount from Audi, did you haggle? How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking. I'm seriously thinking of the new S4 as my next car.

I'm driving a new A4 atm and I'm seriously impressed with it so an S4 would be my next choice.
Old 23 October 2003, 08:20 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yups I haggled my **** off! They weren't overly happy to give a discount but a call round and a play off between dealers work!
List on my car including options was £44600
I paid £41900 about 6% saving, not bad IMO

So yeah you can haggle and yes you should buy one, there great!
2000miles for run in (I'm reckoning) so just 1300 to go! And I can leather it!
Old 24 October 2003, 09:24 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

GTI, interested to see you got that much off. My local dealer said no discounts so I toddled off. Not heard anything from him so take it he's not desperate for a sale....
Old 24 October 2003, 11:51 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

I am an M3 owner, so obviously prefer the m3. I have test driven the S4, but came back to the same conclusion. Its all down to personal taste, but my reasons were:

1. It looks special
2. It is more fun
3. You can get a SMG gearbox

I would like to ask the guy who reckons he killed the m3 a few Qs. Do you have a special S4? Is it modded? If not, think about your 'claim'. Then think about how similar the cars are in performance. Infact the M3 is actually marginally quicker.

On the issue about the S4 being more 'exclusive' - there is a reason. Its less popular. Simple. It is limited demand not supply. This is demonstrated by the discounts being offered on a model that is a few months old.
Old 24 October 2003, 01:45 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Im not taking sides here in anyway as i cant afford either of these gorgeous cars.

However, skittles, it has been notes by a wide variety of experts that the S4 does have a distinct edge over the M3 in wet conditions, largely due to the 4WD system. In GTI's post he did mention that it was wet.

It also depends on the definition of "killed" (to be honest it was probably only a small "pull away" if anything so i wouldnt worry too much.

I agree the output and performance figures are virtually identical, they are both limited to 155, 0-60 in 5 near as damn it etc etc....

Like i said, they are both awesome cars, and id have either of them in a second.

Now where did i put that "how to rob a bank" manual?

Neil.
Old 24 October 2003, 01:58 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I'm with skittles, in the dry, the M3 is a quicker, more capable machine, more involving and with the 19" alloys, looks nicer.
Old 24 October 2003, 02:12 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

"In GTI's post he did mention that it was wet."

Yes, fair point that. And I do agree it will have the edge in the wet, but only if it was on a sharp wet turn, or a drag race.

In most road conditions I would expect the M3 to be faster due to the weight. Handling wise, its a no brainer - V8 mounted ahead of the front wheels vs a Straight 6 mounted further back, and the M is lighter (although its no light car itself by any means!)

Incedentally, people expect the M3's successor (M4) to have duller handling as it will be a V8.

A further point on exclusivity - Audi have launched a 'sport' package which can be fitted to normal A4s, where the car looks the same as the S4. Its a mistake BM made with the E36.

I do agree with the advantage that there are far far less S4s about than M3s. However, my point is that this this is demand, not supply driven!

Both nice cars, and I would be (very) happy with an S4, I just think for me the M3 has the edge.

If I did loads and loads of motorway driving - no brainer - S4.

Old 24 October 2003, 02:15 PM
V-techland
Scooby Regular

Corr I wish I was in his position...................
Old 24 October 2003, 02:58 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

I cannot say between the new M3 and S4 as I've had neither. I have however owned one Audi and 3 BM's (including previous M3 and now an M5). Something very important to me is how good the garages are for sales/servicing/etc and based on that...

In my experience, and I 100% accept others will have had difference experiences, I would NEVER have an Audi again. The customer service, sales and servicing I got from 4 different Audi dealers was completely s**t. Parts sent to me in the post to fit myself!, car not ready when I went to pick it up, poor servicing, everytime it went in I was told I needed new brake pads and discs all round even though they'd just been done less than 10k miles ago!!!!, it needed a new shock ab which took 5 days because they "only ordered one and we didn't know we had to fit them in pairs", the list goes on. The car was good and built very well but at times I thought Jeremy Beadle was making a comeback and I was his first wind up. I had a mare with Audi.

I have used 4 different BM garages and had a problem once so I'm more than happy with them. But I'm sure others might have experienced the opposite.

Old 24 October 2003, 03:35 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

There is of course another factor in the exclusivity of the S4 over the M3.......they havent been out very long!! what has it been, 3 months? compared to about 3 years? of course there wont be too many around just yet!! give it time and youll probably see a few more.
Old 24 October 2003, 03:38 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

whoops double post!

[Edited by Neilo - 10/24/2003 3:39:58 PM]
Old 24 October 2003, 11:27 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Yes it was wet and that gave me a edge in traction and accelaration and may have made me more confident.
I got the discount because I just kept callin dealers and said I can get this price can you beat etc. I also went with my normal dealer who I good friends with (had a couple of Audis from him and before that he was a VW dealer where I had a two Golfs from him)
It is all down to taste, and yes there exclusivity but BMWs are far famous for M models which people aspire too, Audi are fairly new on this sort of thing.
There is exclusivity (because there are fewer) but it also has better image and I love my Audi!
Any questions about my S4, feel free to ask.

GTI
Old 24 October 2003, 11:35 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oh yeh no its not a special, wouldn't mind one though!
And my Audi dealer is fantastic, great customer service, usually gives me a choice of cars when I took my S3 in for service and hopefully will keep up the good work with the S4!
So not all Audi dealers are the same and BMW are appauling in my experience.
But whatever the car, what ever the reasons, we are all individual and prefer our cars to other peoples for our own reasons. There is nothing to say the BMW or Audi is better than the other.
Just the S4 can be Saloon, Estate and soon Cabrio where as the M3 is coupe/cabrio its all down to preference.

I wouldn't say no to a M3, I would be very happy! But prefer my beauty!
Old 27 October 2003, 10:37 AM
topboss
Scooby Regular

If my local dealer is correct (they usually are), BMW will be releasing a saloon and estate version of the M3 in the not too distant future.
Old 27 October 2003, 10:57 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Could well be - the new M5 is dubbed to have a 'touring' variant.

The M3 version will be on the next version of the car (2006). The M3 will be the saloon and estate variants, and the M4 will be the coupe and cab variants
Old 27 October 2003, 11:39 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Jza - LOL!

I would say M3 out of those two, but why not get a spec c limited from ian litchfield , cheaper, faster and more fun!
Old 28 October 2003, 05:26 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

You can get discounts on the S4. How does £2659 off list sound from a Audi main dealer?

http://www.broker4cars.co.uk/a4prices.htm

I've ordered an A3 3.2 from them, wish I hadn't seen the S4 price, tempted to cancel now.
Old 28 October 2003, 05:56 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

get a spec c,flippin mental!!!,cheaper,the other two wouldnt see it for dust and still have loads of cash left over!! and thats the 2litre one,god knows what litchfields 2.5 spec c is going to go like!!!!
Old 28 October 2003, 09:21 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Or have mine! See "MY BABY HAS TO GO POST!!!!"
Yes its up forsale already! I'm not 100% yet but think I am going to take a job based in New York and Boston.
Double my salary is just to much to stop me at the moment, no commitments here apart from my house and I know someone interested so I'm probably off come January!

LIST £44600
FULLY LOADED £42000.

[Edited by GTI - 10/28/2003 9:23:13 PM]
Old 31 October 2003, 09:45 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Gti lives in a dream world where he 'races' other cars who are'nt racing. The bbs is littered with such posts.
I own neither car but have driven both. I was very impressed by the M3 SMG. I was expecting to find a lardy compromised car yet found a very quick, agile focused car. It felt as involving to drive as my STi7,(approx 330 BHP with Ledas).The xtra bonus being a great SMG box and build quality. If you can live with a coupe there is no competition out there at the moment. IMHO.
Old 31 October 2003, 11:19 AM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

M3 convertible is sh*te

M3 Coupe - fun and a classy motor no doubt but on Top Gear the handling looked sh*te compared to the S4....and in the wet