Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes C43 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2003, 02:00 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a little advice. I tried a search on this type of car but never really turned up much. I'm just wondering if anyone has any comments good or bad about these cars before i go chopping my Evo 5 in for one. Basically, i'm looking for a cheaper car toi run and something more comfortable as the evo can not be described as comfy.......especially mine as it runs 18's and coilovers!

Thanks

James
Old 15 October 2003, 02:12 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

The C43 will be a much more relaxing drive as it has a lazy 4.3 V8 (3 valves per cyl I think) plus a fantastically smooth and well matched 5 speed auto only. Also its based on the last shape C class which is a worthy drive but ultimately quite dull. Car Mag rated the C43 as a very close 3rd after the M3 Evo 4 door and the S4 which it thought was the best.

The whole set up is stiffer than the normal C class but at the end of the day it isn't going to crash out your fillings so it will be very refined, smooth and overflowing with torque.

Dont think that it will be cheap though. I looked into one a few years ago and they are eye wateringly expensive if anything major goes wrong and still pretty harrowing when normal things wear out such as those big tyres and the exhaust never mind the fuel consumption if you're using all that V8 grunt.

As with most Mercs, if you find one that's been looked after and give it plenty of tlc yourself, it'll go on forever. Try http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/ they are a helpful bunch.

Old 15 October 2003, 02:21 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Being an evo owner i'm pretty sure that no fuel bill will be scaring me. The 80 miles to my 40ltr take take some seeing to believe! The first few weeks i used to double check there wasn't an overflow the fuel came pouring out of! lol!
Well i'll go and take a look at the merc forums and see what advice there is on offer.

Thanks again

James
Old 15 October 2003, 02:33 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

£800+ for front discs and pads is quite scary enough on its own. The day to day stuff on the C43 is ok, but lots of the parts are special items, hence the eye-watering expense of them.
Old 15 October 2003, 03:26 PM
ADL-ATR
Scooby Regular

Considering that a 99 Plate one can be had for as little as 17k they do represent good value considering the initial outlay to somebody, the old C36 are faster but older and cheaper, and as you say major things do cost, my old mans E320 estate a small spring in the autobox was a 1 k repair and a new g box in the order of about 2k!!! There is a C43 for sale at the moment in the Merc Supply chain in london I think for 19k with warrenty, which is the single most import thing to buy the vehical with. Just make sure that it is very comprehensive. The economy figures that I have seen for the C43 are around 25 mpg urban which is ok for a 4.3!!! Coming from an accord type-r the speed will be a big step up for me. The nice things about those AMGs is that they aren't as in your face as your evo's and WRX's, quite sleeper you not many about. Most people just see the C43 and think its a C220 Cdi!!! Not something with 350 BHP!!!!!
Old 15 October 2003, 04:01 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Better off with an Alpina B3, much better to drive, esp the e46 3.3 if you can stretch to one, here's my old one:-

http://www.tyresmoke.net/gallery/album78
Old 15 October 2003, 05:29 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the opinions and info chaps. The fuel costs will probably be better than my evo so i won't be complaining about that. Also, i'm sure that some aftermarket parts will be available for the car at a far cheaper cost so that shouldn't be too bad. I think i'll miss the clutch and gearstick though...but i'll be able to hear myself think after a lengthy drive and will arrive relatively de-stressed rather than 'on the edge' having driven the evo! There's nothing more annoying than having to look for a Shell garage after only 100 miles on a longer run.

james
Old 15 October 2003, 09:06 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Supposed to be really good cars.Different character to an M3 but I'd give one a try.

Check out this site they should tell you all you want to know.

http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board/en/wbb2/index.php

Old 16 October 2003, 02:45 PM
cozzed
Scooby Regular

My brother in law had a black c43 (fully specced up) luverly v8 surge but you will be dissapointed compared to the evo.That said after selling it and looking at tvr's and american stuff he has decided he wants another one , only this time it will be an estate and a little badge ( brabus) on the back. 4.3 out 5.7 litre in he hehehhe..... very nice although understated cars.good luck p.s he sold his 4 £16000 with 49k on clock...cheeRS.
Old 16 October 2003, 03:06 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Cozzed.
I'm not sure i'd ever be able to compare a car to my evo as it's simply awesome. I mean 350bhp and 1380kgs makes for a LOT of fun! However, it's so raucus on the road that i really need to get something more sensible. I have a bad back that can really ache after a few hours of brisk driving and the orthopaedic seats in the mercs are superb.

All i need to do now is sell the evo!

James