image doctor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lambrusco - Krug
Burtons - Helmut lang
Casio - Omega
Honda - Porsche
Hi Tek - Nike

Some things are just better, and people will always be happy to pay more for quality and brand names. All the things listed above do the same job, some just do it better.

id edited

[Edited by image doctor - 11/5/2003 10:06:33 AM]
Old 11 May 2003, 01:05 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

This is stupid. Here we have opinions and beliefs from people who have no knowledge on what they are opinionating upon, and it is even worse that some people try to pass it on as fact. That goes especially to YOU image doctor.

Just because an opinion is statistically popular, it doesn't make that opinion true! Because a car has a Honda badge from the factory does not make it an inferior machine. Snobs and car n00bs like to press on about Porsche's heritage in motorsport, when in fact Honda has been just as involved. F1, JGTC, BTCC, and they've been doing this for decades. Yet the most common non-enthusiasts won't know this, neither would they have the motivation to open their minds to discover this fact.

The S2000 is the most competitive roadster out in the market today. There are no practical nor mechanical advantages that a Boxster 2.5/2.7/S has over the S2000 with exception that it makes more torque at RPMs where they won't be used during fast driving or competitive driving on the track.

If most ignorant non-enthusiasts have a problem in acknowledging the S2000 as a desirable competitive roadster because it did not come from the Porsche/Ferrari elite, then that is their personal problem and not of the owner or driver!

[Edited by Cosworth427 - 11/5/2003 1:07:27 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 03:44 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picking my S2000 up Friday afternoon, cant wait.

And why did I go for it?? well its brand new, and 22700(oops ) on the road(euro import ofcourse) - I could have got a Boxster 2.5 for that money a 50k miles 2.7 or NO Boxster S. It was all about a performance price trade off for ME and I think I made the right decision.

I would have loved a boxster S(if price was no issue - it does handle superbly), but only an S. I know the 2.7 beat the S2000 round the track, by a VERY small amount in the wet, but quite frankly in the dry the story would have been very different. And by the way, EVO magazine for one rate the current S2000 as a Solid 4 star car - which is good enough for me.

[Edited by ADP - 11/5/2003 7:15:05 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 05:56 PM
samuelhon
Scooby Newbie

Check out www.s2ki.com
There is a UK forum, come say hello

[Edited by samuelhon - 11/5/2003 5:57:48 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 11:10 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

The 2.7 is not even in the same league in performance terms in the dry I should have said, in the wet the S2000 is well poor and I’m surprised it was so close to the other cars to be honest.
Check out this video and you will see the difference for yourself.
"BestMotoring_350Z_TsukubaBattle" you'll have to search for it on the web but it shows the Boxster getting well creamed. It just gets left behind lol.

[Edited by bumcrack - 11/5/2003 11:12:15 PM]
Old 10 June 2003, 05:09 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

S2000 good new buy, but isn't a s2200 on the way ?

A 2nd hand Boxster S will very likely lose a lot less money, and its replacement which is due in the next 2-3 years looks virtually the same.

I'm on 2nd Boxster S , don't give a fig about the excellent steering, incredibly well balance chassis , or the ease with which you can change the attitude of the car mid corner with slight throttle adjustments, I just buy them for the badge snobbery .

Excellent cars get one with PSM traction control, although they have superb grip, clumsy braking or throttle work can get them unstuck fairly easy in the wet. PSM is handy on wet dark night when you are tired and don't know the road. I've had no envy damage been called a tosser, but then I was called worse in an old Triumph Spitfire (must just be personal charisma )

Either way you are going to get a good exciting open topped car, but the Boxster S

[Edited by Mmmmm - 10/6/2003 5:12:36 PM]
Old 10 June 2003, 05:54 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

I'd rather have my S2000 any day than a WRX even one with 300+ BHP, The WRX is a dull beast, great in the wet, big deal.
S2000 is really fun to drive and rare compared to the WRX or the Boxster.
The 2.7 Boxster is far too slow and not even in the same league in performance terms to the S2000. The 3.2s is evenly matched to the S2000 and of course has a high top speed, but its abit pricy when it spec'd to the S2000 standard and I don't think it’s worth the extra cost.
I know it's about the whole package and not performance, but I would be happy if I couldn't pull away from Clio 172 and Saxo VTS when I'd just spent 30K

[Edited by bumcrack - 10/6/2003 5:55:49 PM]
Old 10 August 2003, 03:14 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Nat21,

I'd check the condition of the tyres if I were you. What you havee described is 'not normal'. Of course there *could be* a fault with the ABS on that car...

The 2.7 brakes are normally excellent and the difference between them and the 3.2's 'big-reds' should only really be apparent on the track - or following some seriously hard and frequent braking from high speeds blahblahblahyourhouseisatriskifyoudonotkeepuprepay ments....

Note to self: I *must* stop sticking up for the 2.7. It is clearly the runt of the litter.

[Edited by Stephen Read - 10/8/2003 3:16:06 PM]
Old 11 August 2003, 10:23 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Then your "looking up at porsche pictures when I was a kid" logic suggests that you never had seen a Porsche Boxster when you was a "kid" - unless you are a teenager as we speak of course.

[Edited by Cosworth427 - 11/8/2003 10:25:12 PM]
Old 01 October 2003, 03:29 PM
HumptyDumpty
Scooby Regular

2000(W) Boxster 3.2 S 18,000 miles £ 29995 v brand new S2000 and pocket some change

I fancy a convertible but want a 'proper' one not a coupe that's had the roof hacked off. MX-5 is too slow, Elise is too extreme

So it's going to boil down to the Boxster S or S2000. I've seen the above Boxster, gotta be an S as 2.5 is slow as **** and the 2.7's seems a bit of a nearly car. If gonna get one might as well go the whole hog and get the real deal

Thing is I saw an S2000 the other day and it's thrown a spanner in the works. For the same money as the used Box I can get a new S2000 and save 4/5 grand. The question is this is the Box that much of a better car to justify the exta wedge involved?

They both seem to be about the same in terms of speed, they look good even though the S2000 seems a bit bland from the rear, the front looks like it's got attitude though

So say you've got £30k to spend do you blow the lot on a BoxsterS or blow £25k on an S2000 and trouser the 5 grand
Old 01 October 2003, 03:33 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

This is a no-brainer, the Porsche. A Boxter is a superior car to an S2000 (which is a cracking car), but the 'S' is a class above. It will also keep it's money better than just about anything on the market.
Old 01 October 2003, 03:35 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

.......and it does not suffer from Evo magazine slagging off the handling.

ID
Old 01 October 2003, 03:40 PM
HumptyDumpty
Scooby Regular

yeah I know that the Porker is Porker and it's what I've aspired to but and this is the but, I keep 5 grand which is a lot of dosh and I get a car with 0 miles on the clock

I need to drive an S2000 but I am afraid I will like it and I really want the Box but it's like I say it's taken me ages to save the 30k and now just when I am looking to spend it I am thinking "**** this is a shed load of cash" and my mind is wandering

I partly want the Box for the badge which I know probs seems sad but I've always wanted to drive a car with the badge on the steering wheel, just that badge could end up costing me 5 grand extra
Old 01 October 2003, 03:43 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

depends how much you want to shell out !!! lol
Old 01 October 2003, 03:44 PM
HumptyDumpty
Scooby Regular

not too bothered about what mags say especially, although it's nice to hear positive comments about the motor you drive

someone in the office here says Vicki Butler wostermame of Top Gear drives one so can't be too bad??

Old 01 October 2003, 04:06 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

If you are considering an S2K then I assume that you are attracted to using the other half of the RPM range.

My advise is get a 2.7 Boxster and use the rev range.

One of the advantages of the Boxster S is its increased torque which is there thougought the rev range, however, if you want to get the more power out of a 2.7 Boxster you simply just have to use a few more revs and the power is really adequate.

In the S, you might find that you get the same effect but with less revs. Is it really worth 15% more dosh? Arguably not, but if you've got it.... For the same money, I chose a highly specced 2.7

Now that I know the car, I know that there are occasions when I could use more power, but I can't see that feeling ever going away and it would not stop at Boxster S power.

P.S. If you do get a Boxster (either one) and you are going to use it every day in all weathers, think seriously about choosing one with PSM.

Old 01 October 2003, 04:20 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Get the S2000 Excellent fun and the engine noise at 9,000 rpm is amazing
Old 01 October 2003, 04:28 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I had a similar dilemna to you a few months ago but went for the 3 litre Z4. Boxster s would be my choice out of the two, more useable power. S2000 facelift due out early next year so watch out for that.

Both great cars, and both have strong residuals. Difficult choice.

Matt
Old 01 October 2003, 04:47 PM
BenjC
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Buy a brand new Mx5 (15K) and then stick a FM2 turbo on it (5k). Suprisingly quick with approx 230bhp at the wheels.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...t&sku=01-25300

Leaves a lot of cash for hair cuts/hand bags/lipstick. But then your not concerened about image are you? ;-)
Old 01 October 2003, 07:46 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Humpty,
I also looked at both of these as well as an Elise, but like PPPMAT I went for a 3.00lt Z4 and took delivery of it yesterday.

The build,fit and finnish is on another planet to my STi7 although it comes nowhere near the Scoob for performance, but I am willing to suffer that for all the plus sides of the Z4.

Take a look well worth a look.

Grant
Old 01 October 2003, 08:55 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Ive been umming and rrring this one for a while.

Though Ive decided to buy the S2000 for the following reasons:

1) I can get one for 23k brand new on the road
2) I personally cant quite afford exactly what I want with the porker, I wanted 18s, nice spec which would have been 30k or more, so 7k more than the s2000.
3) Sooo many Boxsters on the road now, esp where I live(3 on my road alone)
4) Ive had a Honda b4 and I know its cheap to run AND also holds its money VERY well, just check autotrader.
5) I cant get my golf clubs in a boxster! seriously
6) I can still turn up to the Jap car type meets if I wish, and I can mod it, if I wish -though I have grown out of this side of things a bit.

Just my thoughts, not the law

AP
Old 02 October 2003, 08:02 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

You can get TWO SETS of GOLF CLUBS in a Boxster (if you have soft bags)...

The Boxster is surprisingly practical for a 2 seater. The front and rear trunks are similar sizes (although they are different shapes).

lifted from www.986faq.com

9.3 Fitting Golf Clubs into the Rear Trunk
Your clubs should fit in the rear trunk without removing the woods. You need to tuck the top of the bag (with the clubs sticking out) into the bottom right hand corner of the trunk. Then the bottom of the bag will fit into the top left hand corner. There is also a way to take two relatively full sized bags in a pinch. Put the first bag in as you normally would. Then remove all the clubs from the second bag and lay them in the back trunk around the first bag. Go to the front trunk and remove the wing nut from the spare. Let the spare fall forward so that it is almost lying flat on the floor of the trunk (it will be raised a bit in the front) The second bag should fit on a diagonal on top of the spare. It is a little tight but should work. It only takes a minute or two.

Another technique: Put both set of woods in the cut out at the rear of the rear trunk. Put both sets of irons in one bag. It goes to the rear of the rear trunk (black bag in picture). The empty bag must have a slightly flexible stay and it can go to the front of the rear trunk (red bag in picture). My car has two full sets (click to expand) in the rear trunk. It holds eight Callaway woods including the Biggest big Bertha. If you use "carry" bags and one has a slightly flexible stay, it works.
Old 02 October 2003, 11:25 AM
garygg
Scooby Regular

Agreed about one thing. If its an everyday car get the PSM on it. My brother put his in the hedge due to the wet, and yes you could say its the driver fault, but it was on a slow wet roundabout. The boxster needs 100% commitment in the wet.

I had the 3.2 S and it was great in the dry, in the wet, I wish I had the PSM for reassurance for when canning it!!!

The feedback is excellent, and you can find the level of grip very easily, but over step it and it will go big time!

This is no different I guess to any non PSM / traction controlled BMW or S2000, but if you can afford it, get it on the Boxtser.

In terms of which car to choose, too many intangible things to consider. Hence no comment as to which is best. Good points that I found where the dealers, build quality, resale value and then lovely engine. Bad points, image and envy!.
Old 02 October 2003, 11:53 AM
HumptyDumpty
Scooby Regular

any Box owner who wishes he hadn't due to envy/grief/vandalism etc etc

I assume a Honda doesn't attract the same kind of sad jealous morons that anything with a Porker badge on would
Old 02 October 2003, 03:17 PM
garygg
Scooby Regular

I didn't say I regreated it!!! Far from it - miss the car more than many I've owned.

Anyone driving that sort of marque will always attract some ill feelings, whether its driving day to day and people not letting you out in traffic just cos you drive a porsche to, people parking stupidly in car parks etc. Anyone driving the S2000 or similar will attract these sorts of problems as well.

Do it, life is too short.

Oh and a friend has just bought an S2000 even though he wanted a boxster, but he hasn't looked back. Whatever you choose, you will have fun.

[Edited by garygg - 10/2/2003 4:38:09 PM]
Old 03 October 2003, 12:02 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Like the golf clubs pic, but there is NO way, I have checked! that my clubs, and a mates will go in. We carry large full bags! though I have seen a few in club car parks so guess people do do as per the pic.

If I had the money Id be in the Porker every time, Im a sad brand ponse and I cant think of anything better than saying "Ive got a Boxster" to the question "what car have you got at the moment?" how shallow am I?
Old 03 October 2003, 02:32 PM
HumptyDumpty
Scooby Regular

chatting in the office here about one person knows what an S2000 is, how do you pose in a car that no one knows what it is

half the apeal of the Box is the pose value. It sounds really shallow I know but I am poser, maybe the S2000 is not really for me?
Old 03 October 2003, 02:51 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey what car do you drive?

"I have a Honda S2000", "really my nan has one of those, you know a civic"

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 or Boxster S????