Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Accord Type-R????

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2003, 01:36 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any advice on the last shape Accord Type-R 2.2??

Seriously considering buying one... know what its capable of, and what its made of - just need input from people who have experience of these over the long-term

Any help much appreciated

Old 24 September 2003, 01:52 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mate of mine has been running one for 18 months - it was partly his car that got me to try the Integra.

He's had no problems whatsoever in his 18 months of ownership and gets pretty good fuel consumption (I would imagine around 30mpg) although this will dip if you drive it really hard (obviously).

His opinion of the car is that you could thrash it as much as you liked and nothing would go pop - i.e. it's extrememly reliable and well built.

The dealers also seem to be a cut above the average, but maybe we've been lucky.

As you know about them I won't drone on about how you have to rev them to get the best out of them, but you're bound to get one or two people on here warning you of the low torque, high revving etc. etc.

All in all great cars.

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 9/24/2003 1:53:08 PM]
Old 24 September 2003, 01:53 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Do a search, loads on these.
In short, used to have one, cracking car, you will lose your license if you keep it in the powerband whilst in built up areas though.
Thats why mine went for something with more torque, an Audi S3, which was not a patch on the Accord for driving experience though.
Old 24 September 2003, 02:08 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

I'll be using it as replacement for my company car - Nissan 200sx Touring...

A three yr old one can be had for £12K from a main stealership, and at £240 per month on the knock means I'm quids in on the cash allowance.

Also removes my slightly hefty £300 per month tax bill for the Nissan.

But..... I lose personal fuel card, and I do around 40,000miles per year.

Business mileage is 24p per mile.

Old 24 September 2003, 02:53 PM
bing-bonger
Scooby Regular

Well I've just bought one...had it a few weeks now.....and all I can say...is great all rounder.....step past the 5800rpm mark and it's a different car all together...I get about 300miles per tank(£40)...thats with hard and normal driving.

It's just that 'god daaaaam noise'....it just wants you to press the pedal.........LOL
Old 24 September 2003, 03:20 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Low torque ... high revving ... real world performance ... twisties ...

Sorry, couldn't resist after Tigger's post warning against exactly that kind of reaction. Nothing meaningful to add apart from they handle really well IMHO. I'll get me coat

[Edited by brickboy - 9/24/2003 3:22:26 PM]
Old 24 September 2003, 03:34 PM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Location: up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, to the right no left ahhh just there
Owned one for the last 2 years.

Known issues are :- problems with the 5th gear synchro and wheel bearings and thats about it, Oh and a general recall for potentialy faulty ignition barels.

Thankfully it's a car that isn't that well known so there's not too many about (which is a good thing). Unfortunatly aftermarket tunning parts are either very expensive or non exsistant.

In the two years of ownership I haven't had that much come past apart from the odd bike ;-), the car can hold it's own very very well if driven correctly
Old 24 September 2003, 03:45 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Idea canned!!!

Insurance quote = £2500 per annum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 27
Three years claim free on a grp 19 Company Car
before that 5 years NCB
1 year classic car policy just expired on grp 18 car - again no claims.

No convictions
Never claimed or crashed

40,000 miles per annum

Hold an full bike license and HGV 1 & 2 with ADR/Hazchem. passed IAM test 2 years ago..

I reckon I'm a fairly safe bet - never claimed in ten years averaging at least 50,000 miles

******* bladdy insurance.

absolutely stupid....

Old 24 September 2003, 03:46 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Do you live in Liverpool or Manchester (the highest £ areas for insurance).
Old 24 September 2003, 03:48 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Horsham.

West Sussex.

Old 24 September 2003, 03:56 PM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Location: up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, to the right no left ahhh just there
Try Tesco i pay £400 fully comp, 28 full ncb
Old 24 September 2003, 04:04 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Seriously shop around for the insurance as you should be able to get a lot lower than that.

I am paying approx. £1K on Integra Type R just north of Manchester with a nice big claim last year for my Elise (thank you Mr. Pissed Up Hit and Run driver).

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 24 September 2003, 04:10 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Ahhhh thats better

Got it down to £800

Hyperformance quoted £2500!!!

Idjits
Old 24 September 2003, 04:15 PM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Here's a pic of my dirty pre facelift ATR
Old 24 September 2003, 04:57 PM
ADL-ATR
Scooby Regular

I love mine and the Vtec addition can get quite bad, you can get caught out if you suddenly want to give it some, if you do just go down two gears!!!!
The handling is amasing, I was expecting it to eat tyres but it is behaving very well. Can drink oil if pushed hard, and some had problems with headbeam stabilisers, card would fail appaently (Honest John on telegraph motoring website).
As Pies says they are most rare and appart from the two that live down the same road i have only seen three on the road in 7 months!
The 27k service is 300 quid but apart from that they are 150 a yearly service and 60 quid for a oil change, all prices main dealer. Beware clutchs are quite expensive, scoobie level!! 500 quid.....Oh Black are the fastest!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 24 September 2003, 05:02 PM
garygg
Scooby Regular

I had 2001 model and the dealers were crap. To cut a long story short. The engine has a design fault - it pinks. Even when using Optimax. Basically the unit was built for Japan and hence never seen again in any UK cars. Went to the dealer 5 times, Head office twice and all sorts of communication. Mine was one of the first facelifted models and they tried all sorts to cure it. After 9 months they then changed their stance and said it was a characteristic of the engine and that the warranty would cover any repairs!.

At this point sold the car as I couldn't be bothered with going to court. Subsequently found out via insider information (can't divulge source) that they can't solve it and its a fault of the engine. The unofficial advice was that to keep the engine from excessively wearing etc and to stop problems in the future was to keep the revs up above 4k !!! and drive it hard. Driving it normally around town causing the ECU etc to fuel back and hence cause the knocking/engine pinking. They say the EU emissions is to blame partly!. They also said the engine will not be used again and hence the new engines are different

Customer service was crap as I had other delivery problems as well!

No stereo (just a gapping whole) or air-con fitted (they said it had it even though no air-con button or engine pumps etc). They forgot!!!. Had to go back in twice to get that all sorted.

This was private money before anyone asks whether it was a fleet purchase.
Old 24 September 2003, 05:07 PM
garygg
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add

When the tyres were new and had grip, the car was very nicely set up for a front wheel drive. Let the rears go down to say 4mm and it was awful in the wet!. Trust me, keep the rears with plenty of depth otherwise you may be caught out by oversteer!

Its definately what I call a Q-car
Old 24 September 2003, 05:09 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Surely its fitted with an Octane and Knock sensor?!??!

Thanks for this mate

Anyone else had these problems????
Old 24 September 2003, 05:09 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Hyperformance. LOL

They quoted me £4500 per year FC on my old MR2 T or £3000 TPFT when I was living in a remote area of N Scotland.

Got it down to £650 FC with Tesco.

[Edited by fatherpierre - 9/24/2003 5:10:20 PM]
Old 24 September 2003, 05:10 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

So you liked it? or hated it?

Old 24 September 2003, 05:17 PM
garygg
Scooby Regular

I liked the car for what it was, ie 4 door, big boot, nice paintwork, fairly solid (not BMW standard), fairly under stated compared to a scoob or Evo. It went well when you had the revs up and plenty of tyre depth!. The engine below 5k could be licked by any 2 litre car, but drive it hard and it could embarass a couple of nice cars. Not in the Scoob or Evo league, but certainly ahead of others.

I would be concerned in the long run with these engines etc, but with a good Honda extended warranty behind one then that should be okay.

I wouldn't say the dealers were good. I've had the experience of owning 5 Hondas over 15 years and they have significantly gone down hill over the time. In terms of build quality and problems, these have slipped as well. I would put it on par with others and say the dealers are average.
Old 24 September 2003, 05:28 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just checked on the Honda Revolutions forum where many of the Type-R boys hang out and can only find a couple of posts regardingt ATR's and pinking - both of those were caused by 95 or low octane fuel.

My friends ATR certainly doesn't pink that I've heard anyway and I'm sure there would be more information on the above BBS if it was a big problem.

Confused about that one ....

tiggers.
Old 24 September 2003, 05:39 PM
garygg
Scooby Regular

Ran it from day 1 with Optimax or SUL as it was then. I have contacts at Honda, including technical customer service issues (keeping the title, position and office out of it).

Most people wouldn't hear it, unless you knew what to listen for. Try driving below 40 mph in say 4th gear and gently go up a hill, ie not accelerating. If you listen the engine will ever so lightly pink. It could almost be misten for something else.

The pre-facelifted cars also suffered from it, but they had a cure which virtually eliminated it, certainly enough so you couldn't hear it!

I'm not sure how many people would actually bother reporting pinking under these circumstances, but I certainly did as in the long run it causes all sorts of problems from 75k upwards
Old 24 September 2003, 06:17 PM
Lord_Humongus
Scooby Newbie

I went on a meet recently in my CTR and the 1 ATR there was very fast(at least as fast as the CTR) with much more forgiving handling.
Old 24 September 2003, 06:32 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

Love the ATR, never owned one but I'd have one tomorrow....I have always considered them an excellent Q car. Very practical too!

Old 25 September 2003, 09:04 AM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Pinking is only a trait on early cars ie pre facelift in 2000, when all ATR's had to run on 98 RON petrol(there's even a sticker inside the filler flap advising you of this) after the facelift the ecu was changed to run on 95 RON petrol. The pinking isn't a generic problem accross all pre 2000 cars either, some do, some don't, a bottle of NF or Aldon booster soon sorts it along with regular doses of Optimax. I would say a std ATR IS a match, no equal to a Std UK scooby, both in straight line performance (ok maybe not to 0-60, hell the ATR has been timed at 6.2, not to shabby) but on the hallowed twisties the ATR is king. All in my humble opinion and experience
Old 25 September 2003, 09:09 AM
garygg
Scooby Regular

I had a 2001 post facelift with this problem and their are others that were also being investigated when mine went to HO. This was in the early days of the face lift in 2001 and certainly they were surprised.

I'm surprised someone timed it at 6.2, it was certainly heavier and slower in the straight than the time suggests. around 7 secs yes, but certainly a BMW 330, scooby etc would lick it. Around the twisty's ...! Yes the ATR is good, but not in the same league!. Its a different league than the vectra bregade, but then theirs the next level!
Old 25 September 2003, 09:11 AM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

well not surprising the facelift model is regarded as the slower model
Old 25 September 2003, 09:18 AM
garygg
Scooby Regular

Owned the facelifted and driven plenty of times the old one. In day to day terms, nothing in it. The facelifted model is supposed to have more BHP, hence Honda quote faster times for the facelifted model, but in reality its not.

I'm not trying to prove anything here, just giving an ex owners opinion, information, findings and experiences. Also giving a little inside to the inside information I got hold of. I'm also not pretending that scoobs are the best, they aren't. They have all sorts of problems as well. The ATR problems include pinking on pre and post facelfited models. The pre had a fix (sort of) and the post didn't. Hence the engine was dropped failry quickly and not used in that many models!!!.
Old 25 September 2003, 09:20 AM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find the H22 series of engines was used from circa 1995 though until 2003

BHP and torque figures didn't change on the facelift, the car just got uglyer

[Edited by Pie_n_Chips - 9/25/2003 9:22:49 AM]

Quick Reply: Accord Type-R????